3 1.30%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Rate the CoW mod

Werebear's Avatar For Mother Russia

Icon4 Poll: Rate the CoW mod

Plz Rate te CoW mod

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Poll: Rate te CoW mod

6-some problems with scripted battles,empire factions are too similar,missing skavens(which are for me one from basic factions),Too many empire factions to play-some of them could be replaced with new factions(maybe norsca).
    +-music,monsters,cool anims, cool looking units,some cool ideas(necromancy),using artillery(tanks),mages etc.

8! But still my favourite Total War mod for a couple of years.

Reasons for not being 10 are:

Artificial difficulty - I would like to see more logical (to me as I played table top for many years) battle and then campaign balance. It has gotten better through updates to "vanilla" CoW but it is still not perfect for me as an individual

Empire Great Cannons - Need to be brazen brass and look as identical to the miniatures as are the other units (hellcannon, helstorm, grudgethrower, bolt thrower and many more are all ing amazing replicas!)

Core units/useful things for some factions need to be added that were omitted in this mod. Things like fanatics for Orcs and Goblins, Chariots, some units such as Harpies, Hydras for Dark Elves, Eagles and more diverse magic users for High Elves, more units for Chaos Dwarves. I do not care so much for new factions as others, instead I want the existing factions to be polished; remove some units that do not serve a purpose or are "unfluffy" such as Axe Throwers for Chaos, a few of the Empire unique units/mercenaries (personal preference), some of the Goblins simply because they overlap and crowd the recruitment screen unnecessarily etc.

Everything else about the mod is fantastic; unit variety, overall campaign idea and the way it plays, factions, the look and feel of the mod in general, the units and buildings, minimap art etc. are all fantastic!
    Last edited by Marcus Tullius Cicero; June 08, 2012 at 04:58 AM.

Graphic : 10
    I buy a new card just because I want to put every graphic options to max when play Cow . And...wow... it look like a new game to me . It's so beautiful that I asking myself how I can play this mod in low graphic setting for 3 years .
    Scripte event : 10
    The only mod can compare to CoW in these terms is TA with the Fellowship Campaign .
    The mercenaries , the unique units , scriptle battles ,... is good . But now , with the present of antipathy between merc captain , it even better and more lorewise .
    Gameplay : 9
    I never get bored when play Cow because the variety of units for each races and all Empire faction have they own individual strength . Just give each knight order a different bonus so they not look like a bunch of same guys wear different armor and we will have a better mod .

Anf of course , I rate this 10 points .
    ░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤
    This is Total War !!!

Default Re: Poll: Rate the CoW mod

I gave it a 8.

I absolutely love the mod. The unit diversity, the graphics, settlement details, the voice acting, the atmopshere, the map, the unique factions. It's truly a piece of art that's well deserved of all its praise.

Unfortunately, it has a few things that I feel tears the mod down a little.

1. Long turn times. I know this is a BIG mod with a LOT of script to enhance gameplay that inevitably increases the amount of data to be processed, but long turn times, whether justified or not, can often hurt the Campaign gameplay where waiting 1-3 minutes per turn can be quite annoying, especially when a mod like TWTTA runs on 16 seconds and Shogun 2 on around 10 seconds.

2. Stack-spawn system. I like the idea of giving the AI additional stacks to make it a challange. But I do not like stacks spawning right in my supposedly-secure territory, and even less when they come without a warning. It just feels a little unproffessional.
    In my opinion, it could have worked, however, if you simply gave the PC a warning 3-4 turns before, like "Enemy X is coming with a big army to Y. We must prepare!". After all, what are all those watch towers for if they can't spot an entire Waaagh rumbling towards me? xD

3. Game tailored around playing as the good guys, which becomes quite appearant when playing the game as the bad guys.(Orcs constantly outnumbered by dwarves? :o). This, however, is something I feel can be fixed and I'm sure the team is more than capable of doing so

Nr.2 is mostly my own personal opinion, but I felt like adding it nonetheless.

Overrall, I think it's a great mod, but it has; like most things in this world; sides that it can improve
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Werebear's Avatar For Mother Russia

Quote Originally Posted by SinerAthin View Post
    1-3 minutes per turn
    strange i have 45 sec max with only core 2 duo 2,66
    Last edited by Werebear; June 08, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Werebear View Post
    strange i have 45 sec max with only core 2 duo 2,66
    I'm playing with Gigantus' newest version of the game.

I don't know if it's the game or just a technical issue with my version, but I know that I'm not the only one with the problem either.
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Best models and most accurate mod for med 2. The spawning stacks could be more logical as was said before, but there has been great improvement in the latest version in this department. Infantry marching with two weapons still annoys me, it's just the animation, little things are still annoying. Chaos factions are simply amazing, such variety, flare, the AI is brilliantly aggressive. Mostly it's the models, so original and slick: Not everything in this mod is really 10 out of 10, but the models outweight those minor short-comings so much I gave the mod a nice big sexy 10.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I rate it a 9 cause I think there still room for improvement. Visually the mod deserves a 10. Gameplay deserves a 10. The funniest campaign gameplay is on CoW for sure. I dont have problems with long turns. Turns are very fast. In terms of comparison I can say it is fater than TATW with Baron Samedi's compilation. I still have some rare random crashes which I still hope to be fixed (not a big problem, but if they get fixed the mod can be perfect). I still hope for more factions considering how big the Warhammer universe is. And since it is possible I still hope in the distant future for custom settlements.

Semisalis

9 /10 .

+ : wonderful work on units, most ambitious mod so far (with all the scripts), lot of playable factions, great immersion, the number of units & events , the size of the map, submods integrated, gameplay + AI...almost all .
    - : 2 years that the mod is not very stable ..unitil 3 weeks ago // the time between 2 patches ; no skavens (i know this is because lack of animators in the team, dont worry)

edit : for 1 turn ; around 25 seconds with 2500k and i play cow since the first day that u posted a link here, 3 years and half ago if i remember well .

Well I have a 6 core 3.2 ghz processor and mine lasts around a minute/minute and a half

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

I gave it an 8. This is my favourite of any total war mods, but the script and bug problems is what let it down a little.

Aside from that, best mod ever!

9 People voted best ? Common that is over exaggerating and fanboyism . The mod is good ( one of the best ) , but far from perfect .

+10

Nothing is perfect but the very imperfections of COW make it great. I will play this over Shogun II any day and wish I could have given the COW the $60 I spent on Shogun II. What makes it great:

1. Truly lives the spirit of Warhammer. I read the books, I don't play the tabletop.
    2. Scripts add a lot of variety to what happens and make the war feel like a fight to the death.
    3. Units are awesome and, more important, are awesome to play.
    4. I never get bored with COW, but I do get tired, lol.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by boatie View Post
    +10

Nothing is perfect but the very imperfections of COW make it great. I will play this over Shogun II any day and wish I could have given the COW the $60 I spent on Shogun II. What makes it great:

1. Truly lives the spirit of Warhammer. I read the books, I don't play the tabletop.
    2. Scripts add a lot of variety to what happens and make the war feel like a fight to the death.
    3. Units are awesome and, more important, are awesome to play.
    4. I never get bored with COW, but I do get tired, lol.
    Since I bought Shogun2 I didnt even finish one campaign but in the same time I played 4 CoW campaigns. I also think it is much better than Shogun 2.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

RotDG has gone long way, and it has been me entertained from the the first version. Even when it had serious CTD issues, it didn't stop me from playing, and that tells a lot of the mod, it's just amazing.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

I can't really say what I haven't said before, as this mod is one of my all-time favorites. Sure, there are a few bugs here and there, but every mod has those and I never really get bothered by them.

The attention to detail in this mod is incredible and the battles are gruesome (in a good way!). This mod is better than any official Warhammer Fantasy game out there (I'm looking at you, Mark of Chaos!) and it just keeps getting better and better. First, the Dark Elves made an appearance, then the Border Princes, and then the Chaos Dwarves. What's next? I cannot say, but I'm sure it will be of epic proportions.

I gave this a 10/10 because it is one of the very few mods that I can play without ever getting bored of it. It is this mod and Thera (and a little TATW) that make up my big three go-to mods when I'm bored of anything else.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

I will give it a 9 out of 10.
    It's a excellent mod with room for improvements.

I like the unit models, love the setting, love the sound, scripts are well done and while it may not capture the feeling of the tabletop game, it's as close as you can get with Medieval 2. You have to be realistic with that.

I kinda have to share the sentiment that there might be too many imperial factions since they don't really add much diversity. They are mostly the same sadly. Would be nicer if we could get the actual tabletop armies in first before spliting the empire up. You give us Skaven(might be hard with animations granted) Brettonia, Beastmen(as a playable faction thank you), Wood Elves and so on.
    Then there is of course various balancing issues and bug fixes that needs to be done but oh well

8 and that is simply due to -1 for missing Skaven and Brettonia which are such a huge part of Warhammer universe. Otherwise it would be a 9 because there is always a little room for improvement. Graphics are across the board great(with exception of Border Princes maybe) and also very consistent. I see alot of mods where a faction or two have great graphics but the rest are a bit uneven. Consistency and attention to detail in most aspects of play is very good. Economy is mostly balanced though could be a bit better (Orcs and Sylvania feel a bit off) while for how many scripts are running there are fewer crashes every version released.

I also think Empire could use some nerfing or a bit more expensive units because even with the scripted stacks there is little 'on the ropes' feeling playing anything other than Ostmark. By the time Waaagh arrives to Averland it can be defeated in about 10 turns of constant battles which actually get a bit boring honestly because its merely a matter of moving the armies into position and fighting the battle, never lost a city yet with central and southern Empire factions though it was close a couple times. I'll admit I haven't replayed them with latest release which with original monster stats I could see actually losing some cities perhaps.

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

I give it a 9 out of 10 myself. Battles are quite epic (thanks in part to the great soundtrack) Crashes are way down from previous versions as well. Just about every unit looks great, and the campaign map is not too big but not too small either. My only gripe is that it could be a bit better in translation...sometimes when a message pops up I honestly have no idea what it means cause half the time the words are not in English. But beyond that little tidbit it's pretty much the best Medieval 2 war mod out there

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast