3. "Guiltiness" – 3:19
    4. "The Heathen" – 2:32
    5. "Exodus" – 7:39
    6. "Jamming" – 3:31
    7. "Waiting In Vain" – 4:15
    8. "Turn Your Lights Down Low" – 3:39
    9. "Three Little Birds" – 3:00
    10. "One Love/People Get Ready” – 2:53

Exodus is the title of Bob Marley’s 5th Island Record-era, studio album. Easily the most stylistically representative of Marley; it boasts the mystical (“The Heathen”, “Natural Mystic”), the danceable (“Jamming, Exodus”), love songs (“Waiting in Vain”, “Turn Your Lights Down Low”), and blissful hymns (“One Love”, “Three Little Birds”).

It is from this brilliance, diversity and humanity that, in 1999, Time Magazine named it the “Album of the Century” (beating out the magazine’s other candidates: A Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix, for the honor). At the same time the BBC also named “One Love” the “Anthem of the Century”.

Exodus was culled from a 20-plus song recording session (another 10 was released as the Kaya album) during his self-exile (after a failed assassination attempt on his life).

The album also showcases what arguably is the tightest studio recording ( in terms production and performance) of the Wailers. This is evident in the gorgeously passionate “Guiltiness” - where the vocals and instruments are airtight and magical – as well as in slow-grooving rumble of “Natural Mystic”.

As can be expected from Marley, the music is both rhythmic and melodic. The rhythmic chorus from “The Heathen”, the Heathen back deh ‘pon the wall , is about the catchiest chant one can hear.

Despite all the superlatives, much of Exodus’ greatness is accessibility. Hence five songs here (“One Love/People Get Ready”, Waiting In Vain”, “Exodus” “Jamming” and “Three Little Birds”) are included in his, posthumous and extremely popular Legend compilation.

The Heathen back deh ‘pon the wall, the heathen back deh ‘pon the wall….

(The recently released Deluxe Edition has a second disc, bonus tracks, extended mixes and live tracks).

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default Re: Exodus - Bob Marley & the Wailers

While Exodus is possibly Marley's greatest album, I find that individually they are not his greatest songs.

I am a huge Marley fan, and to be honest this album lacks alot of major hitters.

When I rotate my Marley songs these are the ones I listen to alot(NO real order other than the first):
    Redemtion Song
    Smoked Two Joints
    Buffalo Soldier
    Exodus
    No Woman No Cry
    Red Wine
    By the Rivers of Babylon
    Hold Ya head high(mix with Biggy)
    Three Little Birds
    Out in the Cold
    Rasta Man Chant
    I Shot the Sheriff
    Get Up Stand Up

I don't particularly like Jammin. Natural Mystic is decent. The other songs really havent stood the test of time. So out of this CD Three Little Birds and Exodus are really the ones I prefer. Of Marley Redemtion Song is definatly the best I think, with No Woman No Cry close behind. I really love all those on my list though.

So while this Album is great, Id go with Legends any day, and my custom made greatest hits is even better

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Good review, but these songs are mostly mainstream Bob Marley songs. Once you get deeper into his stuff and you listen to songs such as Positive Vibration, Lion of Judah, Ride Natty Ride, Rastaman Chant, and Zimbabwe, you begin to understand that there's a lot more to Bob Marley than "One love" and "Three Little Birds". He's a great musician, often underrated by society, but just as overrated for the wrong things by the counter-culture. I was a Marley addict, knew his every song, even before I smoked weed. He's one of the great revolutionizers of modern music, along with the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. Every music lover should be indebted to sit down and listen to his music, watch his concerts, and just awe at his musical creativity.
    Last edited by Siblesz; June 25, 2006 at 08:54 PM.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Gah Sibs, forgot Positive Vibration, I love that one aswell. Ride Natty Ride and Zimbabwe are great songs, just not my favs. And your right, it seems that as he progressed Marley got deeper into his songs. We ended up with things like War which were hardly even songs at all. Sibs, when mentioning Marley's deep songs you got to mention the Redemtion Song though. Emancipate yourself from mental slavery has to be the greatest lyric. I really love Marley's outlook on life. Even Smoke Two Joints has some deep insights if you look hard enough.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott
    Gah Sibs, forgot Positive Vibration, I love that one aswell. Ride Natty Ride and Zimbabwe are great songs, just not my favs. And your right, it seems that as he progressed Marley got deeper into his songs. We ended up with things like War which were hardly even songs at all. Sibs, when mentioning Marley's deep songs you got to mention the Redemtion Song though. Emancipate yourself from mental slavery has to be the greatest lyric. I really love Marley's outlook on life. Even Smoke Two Joints has some deep insights if you look hard enough.
    Yes... Redemption Song... :original: I remember when I was in 9th grade, we needed to bring a poem to class. I brought Redemption Song. Yea... that's a great song. But again, it's too mainstream. I'm just pointing out the songs that aren't heard that much.

Member of S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Siblesz
    Yes... Redemption Song... :original: I remember when I was in 9th grade, we needed to bring a poem to class. I brought Redemption Song. Yea... that's a great song. But again, it's too mainstream. I'm just pointing out the songs that aren't heard that much.

! In 10th I had to bring in a poem to class. I brought Redemption Song aswell

Out in the Cold has kinda the same feel as Redemtion Song, but is far less known. I really do enjoy listening to that one. I like Rastaman Chant because it has a sound to it that just feels very unique compared to Marley's other work.

I could go on. I think I need to write a Comprehensive Marley guide one of these days :original:

MY TWC HISTORY

! In 10th I had to bring in a poem to class. I brought Redemption Song aswell
    Hahaha... Nice... Funny how TWC members think alike.

Out in the Cold has kinda the same feel as Redemtion Song, but is far less known. I really do enjoy listening to that one. I like Rastaman Chant because it has a sound to it that just feels very unique compared to Marley's other work.

I could go on. I think I need to write a Comprehensive Marley guide one of these days :original:
    That'd be pretty cool. I watched his documentary (yea... i was that into him), and found out a lot of interesting info. Some good stuff. Rastaman Chant is awesome... but it has a weird acute sound in the middle, and everytime it hits, it makes me jump. Especially when I'm high (now).

Member of S.I.N.

While Exodus is possibly Marley's greatest album, I find that individually they are not his greatest songs.

I am a huge Marley fan, and to be honest this album lacks alot of major hitters.
    Personally, "Guiltiness" and "The Heathen" are some of my favorites and vastly underrated songs. Natural Mystic is great too (and is an older Wailers standard recut for the album).

And it is nearly impossible to rank his songs. They far too great and too many, stretching back from his early 60s stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Siblesz
    Good review, but these songs are mostly mainstream Bob Marley songs. Once you get deeper into his stuff and you listen to songs such as Positive Vibration, Lion of Judah, Ride Natty Ride, Rastaman Chant, and Zimbabwe, you begin to understand that there's a lot more to Bob Marley than "One love" and "Three Little Birds".He's a great musician, often underrated by society, but just as overrated for the wrong things by the counter-culture. I was a Marley addict, knew his every song, even before I smoked weed. He's one of the great revolutionizers of modern music, along with the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. Every music lover should be indebted to sit down and listen to his music, watch his concerts, and just awe at his musical creativity.
    I agree, the bulk of Exodus are the accessible Bob Marley. It's the main reason most of them are in Legend.

IMO some of his least accessible songs are "Rebel Music", "Africa Unite", "War, and "Natural Mystic". It takes some time to fully appreciate these songs.

It's unfortunate the guy died so early and still at his peak (judging from his last materials).