Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orcs Of The Misty Mountains Guide for turns 1-35 and Unit Guide

Icon6 Orcs Of The Misty Mountains Guide for turns 1-35 and Unit Guide

Welcome to the Misty Mountains, I know it's sorta cold up here but we have work to do! The Elves and Dwarves have kept you in the mountains for far too long! Rise up with the armies of Evil and enslave them all!

As you can see in this map you are Brown, right in the center of the map surrounded by mountains on most sides, so you have to defend on at least 2 sides of the mountain. This is, as you can tell not the best strategic position you could have... so you just have to make do with what you have, but at least you have Gundabad to the north and Isengard to the south, so it is not all bad.

In turns 1-15 Economy is all that really matters so you need to get the highest level mines you can get ASAP and after those hunting huts, after this try to get a better barracks in Moria because it is your best place to build military. Dain's Halls will need a better barracks so make sure you get that.

Also you need to get your general from Dains Halls to go east and build watch towers all along the southern side of that mountain to see whats going on with the Dwarves garrison Dains Hall with at least 5 skirms+2 goblin infantry+general. try to send 5-6 men from other parts in the mountains to the Mountain Fort so you can conquer Imladris which is a pain if you leave it there.

In turns 16-25 The horde goes to Imladris, take it and loot it for the Dark Lord. It doesn't matter what siege equipment you use, Imladris has no gates, walls or anything but they are in a sorta good position to shoot you so i would recommend waiting until they sally out. After this dark deed consider taking any rebel settlements around Imladris. By this time you should also consider getting Wrakyburg and Framsburg but make sure you always have a stack in Dain's Halls or it will be taken by the filthy Dwarves. also if you have less then 2000 gold coins you either need more economy buildings or less soldiers wherever you don't need them. Also prepare to defend Dain's Halls from random Dwarf army's that will randomly spawn after turn 20 and attack Dain's Halls.

In turns 26-35 It is hard to predict what the Silvan Elves and the Dwarves may do, but basically if you have less then 5000 gold you need more money buildings, farms or get rid of a few soldiers west of the Misty Mountains.

35-Rest of game You should be pretty set up economically and militarily, so go conquer the world!!!

Unit Guide

Okay these orcs are much different from their Gundabad kin, they don't have the variety of units Gundabad does but they can still with much difficulty, and skill take out Elven and Dwarven armies. Now lets cover the unit breakdown for each unit.

Snaga Skirmishers are going to be most of your army, face it they are going to be your best damage dealing units against Dwarven soldiers and probably Elven ones to because they are speedy and can outrun the Dwarves turn around throw run throw and may win. On the other hand against the elves you have to use a combo of gob infantry and skirmishers with the infantry charging and the skirmishers going around and throwing spears at the back which i'll admit works very nicely

Snaga Archers are of course pretty terrible as they have 5 missile attack and if you keep them at a distance they can shoot maybe 20 men at best per unit. Against Dwarves don't expect them to even flinch when it bounces off of their armor.

Goblin Infantry are the 2nd most reliable troops you will use and they are pretty decent at defending your flanks or helping the skirmishers kill some Elves or Dwarves.

Goblin Archers are moderately better than Snagas but don't think you are going to kill more then 25 units per unit in range. They are mostly the same story as Snaga archers, keep them safe from the melee.

Heavy Goblin Infantry look pretty beast and they are slower better than Goblin Infantry so use them to defend important parts in your army. I personally wouldn't recommend fighting Elves with these soldiers.... but you could fight the Dwarves with them and let your skirmishers get behind and throw javelins. Just remember you will never beat a decent Dwarven unit 1 on 1 with your Orcish unit.

Heavy Goblin Halberds are the only ones in your army who can kill cavalry effectively but they are so so so slow with their spear wall and regular movement which makes it a pain to keep up with the rest of your army. I wouldn't recommend fighting Elves with these guys at all..... just don't even go there... they are too slow to even be good against the archers and have no shield. You can use them against Dwarves and they are pretty effective against them.

Heavy Goblin Archers are good archers and you should protect them from melee, if they get into some don't panic too much they will not die as fast as Goblin or Snagas... They only have 1-2 more archer attack than their predecessors so don't expect them to do a ton of damage to the opposing forces, and certainly not against Dwarves... no one wants to hear their stupid laugh when the arrows bounce right off of them

Warg Riders are the only cavalry you can possibly get so save them for Elven battles so they can chase down some light archers and give you some satisfaction knowing you killed a lot of elves. Remember not to try to charge huge army's of Elves/Dwarves or you will lose your riders very quickly.

Cave Trolls... You know what this means just charge them into some Elves or Dwarves and watch the panic but if they are going to be surrounded just retreat them a little bit and if you can without hurting your trolls, charge again. You can use these guys as cavalry sometimes, but not all the time, because they are not able to charge in and out like cavalry so mostly just use these for one charge and let the rest of your army come and help.

Balrog........ I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST He is the the best unit you will probably ever have, as he is a good general and there are around 6 of these on huge and 2 on small so... Yea you could rule Middle-Earth with the very nice cooperative Balrog, that requires Moria to be attacked after turn 90 with Mithril Mines to get. He has much better stats than any troll and can demolish anything in the game so have fun. The Balrog is pretty much the king of all units in this game so if you can survive long enough to get him expect Total Victory if you use him right

Army Setup

You should always keep at least one and ideally two trolls, 5 Skirmishers, 3 Goblin Infantry, 3 Archers,
    4 Heavy Goblin Infantry, 0-2 Heavy Goblin Halberds depending on if the country you are fighting has cavalry, and your General

Just remember that all these goblins are slow besides the Goblin Infantry, Snaga Archers, and Snaga Skirmishers, so it is always a pain if you don't have trolls or Balrogs in every battle to fight the Silvan's archers who are really fast so always plan ahead in every battle you fight with them.

Now that we are all done with that.......
    Last edited by Mr.Gloin; April 13, 2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Made new IntroW

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Orcs Of The Misty Mountains Guide for turns 1-30

Moved to Guides subforum.

A nice guide you have here. A suggestion to make it more readable is to break it into sections.

Default Re: Orcs Of The Misty Mountains Guide for turns 1-30

I'll do that
    Last edited by Mr.Gloin; April 12, 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Default Re: Orcs Of The Misty Mountains Guide for turns 1-30 and Unit Guide

Great to see others sharing their OotMM experience. I am on level VH/VH - in my first proper attempt with this faction (short game) - i have found the orks are a two pronged affair. Its a case of balancing the building of resource buildings in the early turns and at the same time ensuring their armies swell in numbers.I build skirmishers/light infantry in every town as soon as the option to build them appears. I have found that the only mission i have successfully done so far is to take Amon Gastel within the alloted time. I have however now just taken in turn 38 the stronghold of Cerin Amroth (I am in turn 41) from the Silvan Elves! this was done by ensuring i was building and sending as many Skirmishers and light infantry to Amon with the two generals in place. At the same time in Moria i have been building the resource buildings and recently upgraded the Barracks so i could build the amoured Orcs. These stayed in Moria until the free upkeeps were breached, then i moved them down the mountain to the border with the Silvan elves, at the same time released the 3/4 stack from Amon only for these two armies to join up just north of Cerin and take it once the rams were built. I have also ensured at every opportunity to build troops in Dairns Halls to repel the Dwarf half stack which turned up around turn 20 - they are currently sat outside my castle and have not moved for 20 turns. Also i noticed the High Elves like to venture far north to Orc Oupost - i have had a couple of minor battles with them there and lost the town only once so far. I think now its a case of holding ground and then take limlight Fort or Caras Galahdorn ( i think the latter as from my other game with Isengard its a money maker) . This faction is very much a challenge and so far i have not ventured west... but once i get the two Silvan Elves towns to my east i will.

Default Re: Orcs Of The Misty Mountains Guide for turns 1-35 and Unit Guide

I think I have improved my guide ten-fold so maybe later I may add some pics of the units

Hi, I have been playing OotMM for awhile and Ive finally gotten trolls. I tested troll tactics in custom battle, and I must say, I just cant find a good way to use them!

Their charge is pretty effective, but really nowhere as good as a decent company of cavalry could do. Plus, the trolls seem reluctant in breaking away from combat, just hacking away at the enemy whilst they are being surrounded...

I tried tying my enemy with some goblins and charged with trolls in the enemies rear. The problem was, that if the enemy didnt lose morale and flee, the trolls usually suffered casualties because they wouldnt break away like cavalry would. Plus, their charge is not even on par with warg-riders. The enemy just gets knocked in the air, and suffer only 10% of their unit strenght in casualties in the initial charge, whereas cavalry would do around 50-70%.

All in all, I was so disappointed with trolls that I will probably quit my OotMM campaign, as they were the only thing that kept me playing with the tiresome snagas...

Or am I missing something here? Please tell me where I have gone wrong.

I thought trolls would bring much of the kick-assery the OotMM needed, but seeing they are so weak and fragile (3 units of forest wardens wiped the floor with 1 unit of trolls) I will be too afraid to use them in anything but final rear-charges. Wargs do a better job at that, too..

What am I doing wrong?

Trolls are not technically cavalry they are heavy infantry, they have very small numbers compared to cavalry and your best bet is to charge them in with about 1k+ worth of crappy goblins to reduce the damage taken to them and leave them there because they are infantry and not really cavalry. I hope this helps you out Lone Crusader
    Last edited by Mr.Gloin; September 22, 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Default Re: Orcs Of The Misty Mountains Guide for turns 1-30 and Unit Guide

Great to see others sharing their OotMM experience. I am on level VH/VH - in my first proper attempt with this faction (short game) - i have found the orks are a two pronged affair. Its a case of balancing the building of resource buildings in the early turns and at the same time ensuring their armies swell in numbers.I build skirmishers/light infantry in every town as soon as the option to build them appears. I have found that the only mission i have successfully done so far is to take Amon Gastel within the alloted time. I have however now just taken in turn 38 the stronghold of Cerin Amroth (I am in turn 41) from the Silvan Elves! this was done by ensuring i was building and sending as many Skirmishers and light infantry to Amon with the two generals in place. At the same time in Moria i have been building the resource buildings and recently upgraded the Barracks so i could build the amoured Orcs. These stayed in Moria until the free upkeeps were breached, then i moved them down the mountain to the border with the Silvan elves, at the same time released the 3/4 stack from Amon only for these two armies to join up just north of Cerin and take it once the rams were built. I have also ensured at every opportunity to build troops in Dairns Halls to repel the Dwarf half stack which turned up around turn 20 - they are currently sat outside my castle and have not moved for 20 turns. Also i noticed the High Elves like to venture far north to Orc Oupost - i have had a couple of minor battles with them there and lost the town only once so far. I think now its a case of holding ground and then take limlight Fort or Caras Galahdorn ( i think the latter as from my other game with Isengard its a money maker) . This faction is very much a challenge and so far i have not ventured west... but once i get the two Silvan Elves towns to my east i will.
    Good job Asplenc, tell them elves their maggoty bread isn't good enough for me
    Last edited by Mr.Gloin; September 22, 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Ah great to see some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    Ah great to see some pictures.
    Finally got around to it after all this time, took long enough

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Very nice, thanks soooo much for this.

+Rep
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Shingen's Avatar Civis

You should also mention the mercenaries. The cavalry is quite usefully to hunt down rooting enemies.
    And the orc looter (crusade archers) is the only unit that can deploy stakes

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...of-mercenaries

Shingen
    You should also mention the mercenaries. The cavalry is quite usefully to hunt down rooting enemies.
    And the orc looter (crusade archers) is the only unit that can deploy stakes
    I suppose I could have mentioned them
    Last edited by Mr.Gloin; September 22, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Is the "build mithril mines in Moria after turn 90 to resurrect the balrog," thing in vanilla 3.2 TATW or is that feature only in MOS?

Please, I plan to start a new campaign as the OoMM soon and I want to know if I need any mods to finally resurrect Durin's Bane.

Oh and my tips for this campaign would be to:

A: Keep Goblintown on low tax level from the beginning. It starts only a few hundred pop away from becoming a large town (or a city...cant remember)
    and as we all know, a large town is way better than a town for production of trolls and wargs.

B: DON'T build roads to early in Dain's Halls. The dwarves always seem to arrive before you're ready when they have a nice orc road to walk on.
    Only make the road when you have Framsburg and have it producing units ready to reinforce Dain's Halls.

C: DON'T take Wrakyaburg. It will get you in trouble with the Silvan Elves and it will overextend your Northern forces who already have enough to deal with (the dwarves)

D: Trolls beat Elves. Spiders aren't half bad either. Wargs are far too slow to be effective unless you take them on LONG routes around the enemy.

Wargs+Snaga beats Dwarves. Seriously, an army of Snaga, a few Wargs, 1-3 Medium Goblins and a ballista or cat is all you need to take the dwarves
    in open field. Simply skirmish the hell out of them. Always use hill advantages where possible, get snaga archers around behind them to shoot their backs. When they are weak, charge with your snaga and surround with the Wargs. Literally any dwarf army will die this way. Which leads me into my last tip...

E: NEVER, BY ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FIGHT DWARVES IN A SIEGE. NEVER. YOU WILL DIE.

mlks's Avatar Laetus

you can resurrect the balrog in vanilla too read the faq

Libertus

As simple as this seems how do you expand and still have someone left to attack Moria after turn 90 and who would that be? I really want a Balrog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
    As simple as this seems how do you expand and still have someone left to attack Moria after turn 90 and who would that be? I really want a Balrog!
    Well... you don't unless rohan attacks.... unless you modify the script to get balrogs as soon as you build mines or something similar.

Libertus

Thanks. Great guide by the way. Looks like I'll find out how patient I can be!

Libertus

Well I made it to turn 90 and abandoned Moria in hopes that someone would attack but no luck. Its turn 96 and no one seems interested. Has anyone really awakened a Balrog or are they truly a myth from the past?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I might be wrong, but I think there is a misunderstanding here about the Balrog.

The AI gest the Balrog when Moria is attacked (part of the Garrison Script for the settlement), while the player has to take some steps to have it resurrected, form the FAQs:

Q: Can I get the Balrog ?
    A:
    It is only possible when you play as the Orcs of the Misty Mountains. You need to construct Mithril Mines in Moria. This is only possible if you have upgraded Moria to a huge city. Furthermore it is not possible to resurrect the Balrog before turn 90.
    Hope this helps you Stone Dog
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast