Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 6 - Creating a Simple Wallpaper

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

Default Re: Lesson 6 - Creating a Simple Wallpaper

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    @Rarity: Wow, fabulous work one more time! The only thing I'd change is the text - maybe make it more eye-catching?
    I guess the shadow text didn't do the trick.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

I would add a shadow behind Joey Votto but I already merged the layers...
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Here we go:

Background

I'm quite pleased with it. The 'text area' border may be a bit blurred. I did that because it was really jagged.

Were we meant to do two?

Thanks Goofy for such a great lessons.

+rep
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; June 10, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Legio
    I did; this is background picture:
    Very good then!
    Quote Originally Posted by Legio
    I've tried to change the colors and the sharpness, saturation, etc. while being as subtle as possible so that you'd think it came from the film itself and I think it's more artistic this way. Or do you just want a lot of obvious changes?
    No, and what you've done there is all fine. You can, of course, do a lot of those obvious changes if you think it fits your wallpaper but it is not required or essential at all.

@Rarity: That's a lot better, but you could add a texture to the text. However, this time I'd suggest finding a craggy texture and then removing all of it except for the part that is below/above the letters. So, select the text layer Alpha, invert the selection and then select the texture layer and delete everything inside your selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by King William the Conqueror
    I would add a shadow behind Joey Votto but I already merged the layers...
    That is not a problem, not at all. So, you didn't save a .psd/.xcf copy of your wallpaper?

@edse: Very good. The only thing I'd rework is the flower - try to make it look more natural, like as if it really was on the stone. I'd probably try to make it a bit darker and smoothen the edges a bit. And oh, I think the upper ones are better for some reason. And "Rapakivi" is better than "Driftwood" if you ask me, it is such a splendid piece of art!

@Shankbot12: Excellent work! Although I do agree that your "text area" border is too blurry and still too jagged - maybe you should just add a thin drop shadow and then duplicate it several times. The wallpaper is very good, but the text and the text background ellipse don't fit the general look of it. I'd recommend you to create some kind of graphical text there.

Anyways, the "spectrum" part looks simply excellent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12
    Were we meant to do two?
    No, one is enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12
    Thanks Goofy for such a great lessons.
    You're welcome!

I should update the list of those who have passed the lesson and add a date for the "homework" (I had forgotten it) but I doubt I have the time right now. As always, everyone posting a proper result will pass, so don't worry if your name doesn't immediately appear in the OP.

Keep it up gentlemen!
    Last edited by Goofy; June 11, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Here is mine...i used lotr theme and i tryed to make it like a old picture ...
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'll try to have it done today
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Content Emeritus

SoP

HOUSE OF HADER

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Turned out smaller than I wanted, but the gist of it is there.

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

I thiiiink i was a little too ambitious with this one...

am starting over

EH? I set the gradient thing to "overlay"...and it goes 100% transparent! have no idea why! Any ideas?
    Last edited by Willowran; June 14, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Hum, I forgot about this. Gonna do it tomorrow

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

ahhh... much better.

original image:
    http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Filearth_Maul.jpg
    Last edited by Willowran; June 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

I have tomorrow off, I'll try and get this done then.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Reserved...

I am super busy. Will try to get mine today or by Sunday

EDIT:

Well I guess I suck at all sorts of wallpapers. This is a little pic I took one year ago. I made it look a bit old and the title goes: 'This is what your daddy drove when he was kid' Just try to ignore old lady in the back...

EDIT: Sorry but I haven't done half of the stuff you got there in the lesson. I just don't have time anymore

NO ONE CAN HELP LEGIO :P
    Last edited by NekoGenijalan; June 18, 2012 at 06:30 AM.

I was kinda stupid by doing wallpaper out of wallpapers...

Ok so first try, in the end I noticed that that image was already a lot of pre worked...

Spoiler for Original

So I did other, but it looks like I got into other already made walpaper.

Spoiler for Original

Anyway, I highly understand if you think that I should try with other images, all I ask is that it is you to chose the starting image, since I seem to have problem with that part

Somehow I canīt post my image. Maybe itīs too big.

edited:
    http://imageshack.us/f/205/gladiatorl.png/

original:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lice_Verso.jpg

Domesticus
    Artifex

@Lü Bu: Magnificent work! I think you've visualised your idea rather successfully, and the result is quite personal-looking. Very good!

@Maximinus Thrax: Awesome wallpaper! It is very simple yet it looks very nice. You could still try to add a border or shadow to the text and see if it looks better.

@SonofPeverel: Nice. You have used the gradient in an interesting way, and I think it looks good. However, in my opinion you should crop out the text at the bottom and pay some attention to the text field in the top left corner - at the moment it looks quite jagged, so you should at least blur it, and maybe decrease it's opacity or something to make it less dominant.

@Gen. Chris: Your idea is nice, but I think you should blur the border of blue and grey. Now the colour change is a bit too immediate.

@Willowran: Actually that is very good. You should blur the light sabres (or whatever they are) and maybe fix a couple of other small things, but basically that is very good. Great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowran
    EH? I set the gradient thing to "overlay"...and it goes 100% transparent! have no idea why! Any ideas?
    Unfortunately I'll have to answer "no" one more time. The only thing that comes to my mind is that "Overlay" makes black almost transparent, so if your picture is bright enough it may seem that the layer is transparent. You should try "Normal" mode and reduce the opacity if nothing else works.

@Willowran (2nd wallpaper): Yeah, that's a lot better, and even quite fantastic if you ask me! Great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky
    I have tomorrow off, I'll try and get this done then.
    I'm looking forward to your results!
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoGenijalan
    Reserved...

I am super busy. Will try to get mine today or by Sunday
    Good. Just make sure that you'll inform me when you have it done, otherwise I may not notice it.

@ForteS: I can pass you, but I agree on that you should pick a less edited image. Films and videos (and naturally wallpapers) often make bad "stock images" as they have been edited already and there won't be much for you to do, unless you have a totally different idea (such like rendering an object and changing the background as Willowran did).

I did a quick Google image search for large Batman photos/pictures but couldn't find anything unedited, so I think that you could really do what I said above - render Batman, then maybe find a proper metropolis photo, paste your Batman render on it and then edit the background, not the render (well of course you can do any adjustments you wish, but as I said there won't be much for you to do with it).

A good example of that is this Splinter Cell: Conviction wallpaper I've been working on lately:
    Click to view content: 

This is actually the first place where I post this - I haven't yet uploaded it even to my workshop, so you're lucky to see it first. I should still add the official game logo there, but I was having problems with that so at the moment it has to do without it.

Oh, sorry, I shouldn't be talking of my own stuff here. Anyways, you could do something like that - the background of my wallpaper has nothing to do with the game, but it looks damn good.

@megalitho: Very good, but I think you should let your hand be seen on it more as well. Maybe rework the colours? A colour-sliding-to-transparency gradient may work well here.
    Quote Originally Posted by megalitho
    Somehow I canīt post my image. Maybe itīs too big.
    You didn't pick the direct link to the image:
    Click to view content: 

You should click the link you posted, then click on the image. Now it is opened in a new window, and at bottom right you can see "Links to share this image". Click that and then copy the "Direct" field.

I'm still to add the deadline for this lesson, although that is not very important as there will still be that one optional lesson and the classroom won't get shut down before the last lesson has been finished.

I updated the "Final Exam passed" list yesterday and will do it now again.

Great work guys!
    Last edited by Goofy; June 16, 2012 at 02:38 AM.

@ForteS: I can pass you, but I agree on that you should pick a less edited image. Films and videos (and naturally wallpapers) often make bad "stock images" as they have been edited already and there won't be much for you to do, unless you have a totally different idea (such like rendering an object and changing the background as Willowran did).

I did a quick Google image search for large Batman photos/pictures but couldn't find anything unedited, so I think that you could really do what I said above - render Batman, then maybe find a proper metropolis photo, paste your Batman render on it and then edit the background, not the render (well of course you can do any adjustments you wish, but as I said there won't be much for you to do with it).

A good example of that is this Splinter Cell: Conviction wallpaper I've been working on lately:
    Do you mean like get a image of a city like New York and then merge it with a Batman image? Sounds good. I'll give it a try

Once again I made two version, well, as a matter of fact I did 3 but I only uploaded 2

Okay, so this first one is junction of various images from Batman Arkhan City:

Spoiler for Original

The second one is more like you suggested, I searched for a city image and put Batman on it. I initially had the city with colour and all that (this is the 3rd version I spoke about), but I didn't feel so good, after all we are speaking of the Dark Knight, so I made the city dark Tell me if you want to see the version with color.

Edit: I did a small edition to the second image:
    Last edited by ForteS; June 17, 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast