Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15405556575859606162636465
Results 1,281 to 1,289 of 1289

Thread: CA Modding Summit

Default Re: CA modding summit

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh so View Post
    May i ask you modder types if these tools will SPEED UP the creation of mods? [...] just interested to know if you guys think these tools will reduce the creation time by any significant amount?
    Yes, a lot.
    1. no need to be going through binary data trying to make sense of its structure
    2. no guessing what the data you come up with might be used for
    3. no useless entries you still try to make sense of, slowing you down even further
    4. no danger of corrupting data on the way because of bugs in the tools

Some of the data is still undocumented; for instance, there isn't really a campaign map editor as such, just the necessary transformation to game format; but the relevant source data files are there and it's much easier to make sense of. Also, most is available in text format (well, xml but close enough) so it's even easier to take a look.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    No sane of mind modder would pay for a modding tool .
    I'm inclined to agree. I haven't done much modding for S2, and nothing released to the community, but I usually try to mod the AI in games where I can get at it, and in Kohan II, you could literally create your own AI players using the scripting language the developers used - free. In Company of Heroes, if you can figure out the scripting, you could tweak the AI, you can alter the game mechanics greatly, if I knew 3D - probably can make new units. The Corsix Mod Studio is the bomb, exposed pretty much everything, and was free from Corsix and carried on much like Daniu with PFM.

I haven't dabbled with SC2's editor, but it's free and doesn't look weak considering what people make from it. I mean if Activision can give you something free...

I just don't see why we'd have to pay for a useful editor and/or an easy way to get at the game data via scripting if we wanted to change unit AI on the combat map or CPU player AI on the strategic map. Why should we need to pay for a map editor or a scenario editor? Or a GUI tool for creating a unit from scratch? Or a faction editor and a unit editor like Elemental has - built into the game - or you can use xml to make one.

Otherwise, I can just turn to tools already out there and learn them (already somewhat comfortable with PFM just for making units and tweaking some AI things) which probably can do many of these things already - all free. Consider how drastically changed the game is with many of these mods the mod mavens put out for us to enjoy have done with what we have.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Aside from buying S2TW, FotS and RoS for myself after this, I actually bought S2TW for a friend.
    Because modding matters.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

No sane of mind modder would pay for a modding tool .
    I do not agree with you. I'm a modder, I did mods for M2TW and for X3 all of that was free. But I also paid for Darkest Hour for instance.

I will pay a DLC with modding tools at around 5 bucks, if a developpement team DO need it for a good game. Just to show investors that modding brings also money clearly identified. With my 5 bukcs I will spend more time on the game than the vanilla and I will pay for a DLC wich I had still not done even for good ones (and the Blood pack from TWS2 of the factions packs make me really sad about what TW sery).
    I think for TW that's not needed, the credits that were gone with "HBO inspired movies" and cutscenes could have been used to help modding instead. Although for Egosoft (developpers of X3 sery) I would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    There's a balancing act when picking who to attends our events and we have to take into consideration a range of factors. There are some mods out there that claim to do things that are impossible to do within the limitations that exist at the moment, for example.

We’ve been impressed by the endeavours of a lot of the community, and it’s fair to shine the spotlight on them. We invited a range of modders we felt took an exceptional approach to modding and the claims they make of their mods. We were hoping Radious could join us, but sadly he can’t make it.

Attending will be:

TAW
    Daniu
    .mitch.
    Bobbin (EB team)
    The summit was a great idea, a move in the right direction and I found it to be excellent news. Thank you.

To end on a positive note, loving what I have heard and seen about Rome 2 so far, keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Radzeer; October 07, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Off topic

Quote Originally Posted by sinople View Post
    I do not agree with you. I'm a modder, I did mods for M2TW and for X3 all of that was free. But I also paid for Darkest Hour for instance.

I will pay a DLC with modding tools at around 5 bucks, if a developpement team DO need it for a good game. Just to show investors that modding brings also money clearly identified. With my 5 bukcs I will spend more time on the game than the vanilla and I will pay for a DLC wich I had still not done even for good ones (and the Blood pack from TWS2 of the factions packs make me really sad about what TW sery).
    I think for TW that's not needed, the credits that were gone with "HBO inspired movies" and cutscenes could have been used to help modding instead. Although for Egosoft (developpers of X3 sery) I would do that.
    of course you don't agree. all your mods can be easily done through text editing and opening the main package.

paid modding tools is the dumbest idea since the snuggie

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    We're not going 64 bit.
    Horrible. Proper multithreading is most likely a pipe dream as well...

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    I wish you a Merry Modding Summit,
    But I think I must talk now for myself as a modder from 2005 and with mods from ETW era which are the most popular, as I believe and maybe the fans agree with this.
    I do not know what behaviour have other modders experienced but I know I have been completely ignored. Not even a reply. Therefore from now on, I express publicly my complete "Transparency" and I will consider a modding retirement (no new mods for new Total War games, only for older mods support) because it seems to me foolish to continue. I am certain that this is what CA wants, so I will not continue until the predetermined checkmate, I will quit/resign.

I hope at least those picked match fully the criteria (there are many to choose) and they get as much information needed to help themselves and the community in modding Total War. I am just fed up with all this hypocrisy.

I am ready to be bitten by the usual protesters/jealous guys of DarthMod... I ignore from now on the whole situation.
    CA what are you thinking?