Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: CA Modding Summit

Ordinarius

Default Re: CA modding summit

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Question : Is it a "first contact" meeting to speak about problems that modders are facing (from adding a new agent to modding campaign map) or do you have a more organized agenda dor this meeting ?
    I think we could make our agenda. During this month we could make a list of most wanted questions or subjects. This list shouldn't be too generic with subjects like "we want a campaign map editor" or something like that. A long round of polls would be better to choose where to concentrate our attention. We have just one chance. We have to exploit it to obtain as much information as possible. At first we could decide on which games we could concentrate. How many? Just one, two, three or more? Empire, but not Napoleon? Just Shogun II? Avatar, campaign map or unit? We have to limit area of our questions in some way.

By the way. How long will take this summit? It's just an hour meeting with modders or an entire day dedicated to modders?

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

I see many good potential modders in this forum, that would go to work for CA and make better TW in future! When I heared about this one. This sounded really nice thing, where I like take part, but there is many things, what I need to do with irl busy and future plans, then no. Sadly this would be great for me,but good luck for other people who willing get to work. I hope our modders will show big hand, how to really modding Total War games!

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

We must remember to keep the expectation reasonably low and not get ahead of ourselves. And yes, we should probably try to organize ourselves, but first we would need details on the conditions of the summit and all that.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Falconpilot's Avatar Join Arma3 campaign!

I also asked some questions via mail to craig about this, once I get reply I'll post them here. Would love to get more info on why the campaign map is not moddable

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

A modding summit?

Great idea, kudos to Jack, Craig and whoever else at CA got behind this.

Now let's make sure we get our ETW, NTW, and S2 "A" team represented there. You know, the guys who made breakthroughs and figured out how to do stuff with warscape that no one else knew how to do before. The guys who understand what is known and unknown right now.

Nominees?

I nominate... ummm
    - The heged knight
    - DARTH VADER
    - wangrin

Any artifex really..
    Oh, here, a list (outdated perhaps) of those guys:

• Agraes
    • Alletun
    • Alpaca
    • Angel
    • AnthoniusII
    • Arakorn-eir
    • Atterdag
    • Beiss
    • Boicote
    • Burrek
    • Caesar Clivus
    • Candelarius
    • Cymera
    • DARTH VADER
    • DaVinci
    • Drak10687
    • Dvk901
    • Elrond
    • Finneys13
    • Gigantus
    • GODzilla
    • Goscinio
    • Gracul
    • GrnEyedDvl
    • HemilcoBarca
    • Hotspur
    • HusserTW
    • Ishan
    • Jubal Barca
    • Khelvan
    • King Kong
    • King Louise Assurbanipal
    • Lusted
    • MarcusCorneliusMarcellus
    • Meneth
    • Mylae
    • Neo
    • ptolemos
    • Nero666
    • Publius
    • Rammstein
    • Re Berengario I
    • Roman Man
    • Selenius4tsd
    • Spirit of rob
    • Spurius
    • Sqυιd
    • T.C.
    • The Hedge Knight
    • TheFirstONeill
    • Tone
    • wangrin
    • WImPyTjeH
    • Y2day
    • Zephrelial
    • Zhuge Liang
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 06, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Updated list
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Excellent choices! I nominate TAW and PietroMicca
    Last edited by Huberto; June 06, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Yeah, except Lusted of course. They wouldn't let that guy in I'm sure!
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

TC and HusserTW must be in.

Well I just send them all a message to check out this thread.

Arakorn-eir, Boicote, DaVinci, Jubal Barca, ptolemos, Roman Man, Spirit of rob, Sqυιd and Spurius could not be localized/contacted, if anyone know about them or be able to inform them about them it would be very appreciated.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 06, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

I'd like to see Lua source code, UI layout file schemas, and some way to re-implement VFS logging (we know it exists) or starting the game in debug mode.

I'd say Lua sources are legally tied up (although up to date documentation would be nice, what was released a while back is far from complete) and I'd say VFS logging & debug mode are probably impossible without a debug kit (which I doubt we'd get). So I'd have to shout for some UI layout schemas. That way we could write tools to make our own UI pages.

I'd also like documentation on the files that contain the collision meshes for buildings - Primergy will know more about these.

But the thing I want more than anything is any and all questions put forward by PietroMicca to be answered.

EDIT: Also a complete list of commands that can be entered in the user.script files, we were told (at the time of Empire's release) there was lots more that would be revealed when the mod tools came along.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I'd be very interested in a Web Conference, but could not attend in person. This is a good thing to hear. I hope it bears some fruit.

Thanks CraigTW.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    I nominate... ummm
    - The heged knight
    - DARTH VADER
    - wangrin

Any artifex really..
    Oh, here, a list (outdated perhaps) of those guys:

• Agraes
    • Alletun
    • Alpaca
    • Angel
    • AnthoniusII
    • Arakorn-eir
    • Atterdag
    • Beiss
    • Boicote
    • Burrek
    • Caesar Clivus
    • Candelarius
    • Cymera
    • DARTH VADER
    • DaVinci
    • Drak10687
    • Dvk901
    • Elrond
    • Finneys13
    • Gigantus
    • GODzilla
    • Goscinio
    • Gracul
    • GrnEyedDvl
    • HemilcoBarca
    • Hotspur
    • HusserTW
    • Ishan
    • Jubal Barca
    • Khelvan
    • King Kong
    • King Louise Assurbanipal
    • Lusted
    • MarcusCorneliusMarcellus
    • Meneth
    • Mylae
    • Neo
    • ptolemos
    • Nero666
    • Publius
    • Rammstein
    • Re Berengario I
    • Roman Man
    • Selenius4tsd
    • Spirit of rob
    • Spurius
    • Sqυιd
    • T.C.
    • The Hedge Knight
    • TheFirstONeill
    • Tone
    • wangrin
    • WImPyTjeH
    • Y2day
    • Zephrelial
    • Zhuge Liang
    You forgot Radious!
    and CA have poor smoke and particle effect, so Mech_donald (non-arfifex) should be there with his great smokes! If next TW will be near World War ... that request a lot smoke smoke explosives!
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; June 06, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

I am not participating. But I just wanted to know HOW CAN WE MAKE AI REPAIR ITS SHIPS? knowing this I will be happy.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; June 06, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

beerin's Avatar Libertus

As a small business owner this is a win-win situation. More content for your customers and more money for CA

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I would be interested in the Web Conference too. Although I haven't done much with ETW and beyond. It would have been really great to have this opportunity 4 or 5 years ago but better late than never.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Definitely a great move for the whole total war community, and hopefully the start of a better relationship. Many of us are still modding the older games like RTW due to the ease of modding and love of the era, still finding new depths and improvements that can be made...and (dare I add) still helping with sales.

I could possibly be interested in attending as I live in the UK.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I think we can define, at least, two technical skill level :
    1. High, such as retro-engineering, programming modding tools, early db and esf researches, etc. (all the work done to understand how the game work)
    2. Middle, such as db and esf editing, battle map mapping, modeling (all the work done that use existing tools, more or less difficult to use)

The first category is mostly composed of people able to understand how game work and create modding tools.
    They are the driving force behind the Total War community, they need informations from CA to help them to understand game mechanic to create tools.

The second category is mostly composed of people able to use modding tools to create mods (db/esf editing, creating models and textures, etc).
    As mod creators, they have ideas to add new feature but not necessarily the ability to do it because no modding tool exist for what they want or because of hardcoded features.

Of course, this is a simplistic view, reality is more complex, but those two categories needs and goals are different.
    But the two profile are complementary.

I don't know how many people CA will invited and what CA really expect from us.
    Maybe should we organized ourselves to create a list of topics we wish discuss with CA, maybe regrouped by games (S2TW, ETW/NTW, M2TW, RTW) or by tranverse topics ?

About modders, I can only speak for ETW :
    • taw (exceptional work to understand how the game work and great modding tools)
    • T.C. (extensive work on ETW/NTW : db, esf, script, etc.)
    • Crux3D (symphony tool)
    • HusserlTW (esf understanding and modding tools)
    • Uanime05 (campaign map understanding)
    • PietroMicca (campaign map understanding)
    • Primergy (work on 3D models and db tables, great tutorials)

• Kungfuserge (work on 3D models, work on battle maps)
    • panzerschreck (work on battle maps)

• Steph (NTW - MoE mod)
    • Lazy Knight (Imperial Splendour team leader, scripts, the great DB manual)
    • Flikitos (Imperial Splendour team member, modeler/skinner, db, esf)
    • p.jakub88 (work on db tables)

The list is long and unfinished.
    So, CraigTW is right : "else please pass this onto someone you know who likes to mod our games".
    Last edited by wangrin; June 06, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Its takes a higher skill to understand the Warscape engine than the engine for past titles, so that list is pretty good, but it will depend on who can go. I nominate TAW, Pietro and T.C as potential leaders.

Yes people! keep it coming! And yes, it was a blatantly obvious mistake I made forgetting about Radious! I hope he doesn't get mad at me. I'm sending him the message right know. Also one for Mech_donald!
    Last edited by Lord Baal; June 06, 2012 at 04:13 PM.