Thread: Celts impossible?

Default Celts impossible?

Hello, just stumble upon this mod, and I'm really loving it. A+ work.

One large problem I'm having is as the Celts. I understand squalor should be high, but this is insane. I'm playing on M/M and am no stranger to the game, but I am completely unable to make any sort of progress. Squalor becomes a huge problem very quickly and there is effectivly nothing that can be done to counteract it. I shouldn't have to be exterminating my own cities constantly. Maybe consider adding health bonuses to some more buildings, and/or upping the existing bonuses.

I've started 2 campaigns as the Celts, and aside from the Saxons occasionally landing it's been one long struggle against squalor. Not fun at all.

Minor points like this aside, this mod has really justified my purchase of BI, as I was very dissapointed (but not surprised) by the vanilla version.

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Default Re: Celts impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by nairagorn
    Hello, just stumble upon this mod, and I'm really loving it. A+ work.

One large problem I'm having is as the Celts. I understand squalor should be high, but this is insane. I'm playing on M/M and am no stranger to the game, but I am completely unable to make any sort of progress. Squalor becomes a huge problem very quickly and there is effectivly nothing that can be done to counteract it. I shouldn't have to be exterminating my own cities constantly. Maybe consider adding health bonuses to some more buildings, and/or upping the existing bonuses.

I've started 2 campaigns as the Celts, and aside from the Saxons occasionally landing it's been one long struggle against squalor. Not fun at all.

Minor points like this aside, this mod has really justified my purchase of BI, as I was very dissapointed (but not surprised) by the vanilla version.
    will look into balancing squalor in the mod, we have had these complaints for several factions . Too little or no squalor is no good, either, though.
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants

I agree completely. Squalor should be high, especially with the Celts. But while it may be fairly accurate that they can't control even the few cities on the isle, it's not much fun. The way it stands now there's no point in playing the Celts.

Question: how would I mod in health bonuses to other buildings, say temples and taverns?

I agree completely. Squalor should be high, especially with the Celts. But while it may be fairly accurate that they can't control even the few cities on the isle, it's not much fun. The way it stands now there's no point in playing the Celts.

Question: how would I mod in health bonuses to other buildings, say temples and taverns?
    1) open up export_desc_buildings.txt
    2) look for relevant buildings:

Code:
    temple_church_christianity church_christianity_church
            {
                capability
                {
                    happiness_bonus bonus 1
                }
    Code:
    building taverns
    {
        levels tavern bardic_circle 
        {
            tavern requires factions { barbarian, hun, nomad, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    happiness_bonus bonus 1
                }
                construction  2 
                cost  800
    under happiness bonus add lines
    Code:
                    population_health_bonus bonus 2 requires factions { roman,}
    so it looks like this:
    Code:
                capability
                {
                    happiness_bonus bonus 1
                }
    adjust accordingly bonuses and factions
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Thank you sir! More questions tho, please forgive my ignorance.

Would that only affect Romans? Should I substitute { barbarian, }?

or remove the "requires faction" part altogether?
    Last edited by nairagorn; June 26, 2006 at 04:17 PM.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Depends on which faction you intend to give the bonuses to.(I.e Roman=WRE, ERE, WRR, RB. Barbarian=Bergundii, Celts, Saxons, Franks ect)Or like you said, just get rid of the requires faction bit altogether, its up to you.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Gotcha, thanks much!

I've noticed that Londonium and Ebacum constatly revolt after reaching certain level of population and I had to slauter them once in a while. Celts are tough, especially when ERE was controlling most of the Europe later in the game. I wasn't able to outfight them. ERE elite units a tough, in many cases it took two stacks to finish off their one with Celts.

Quote Originally Posted by CPL Trevoga
    I've noticed that Londonium and Ebacum constatly revolt after reaching certain level of population and I had to slauter them once in a while. Celts are tough, especially when ERE was controlling most of the Europe later in the game. I wasn't able to outfight them. ERE elite units a tough, in many cases it took two stacks to finish off their one with Celts.
    as they should be. comes from their having superior technology, training, etc... thats why the Romans had the Empire, and not the celts :wink:
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Is there something wrong with Celtic assassins? I have two, and neither has gained a trait or ancillary, even with many successful kills. Not even cutthroat.

And yeah, Celtic armies have a hard time going toe-to-toe with the Romans, but that's to be expected. I've been pretty able to take them on one stack to one stack. It depends on your troops and tactics. I like to pin em with schiltrons and the lower rank spearmen, flank the hell out of em with skirmishers and cavalry, then (timing is everything) charge home with your berserk naked swordsmen and general. A couple of those druid spearmen help keep your low level troops from breaking too fast, and are a must-have. I keep the crossbowmen on the flanks too (if I have them at all), as their trajectory is too low IMO, and are more dangerous to your own troops who may happen to be in front of them than to the enemy.

Is there something wrong with Celtic assassins? I have two, and neither has gained a trait or ancillary, even with many successful kills. Not even cutthroat.
    AFAIK I didn't touch any traits concerning the assassins, but will check maybe there is a bug in the CA files themselves

And yeah, Celtic armies have a hard time going toe-to-toe with the Romans, but that's to be expected. I've been pretty able to take them on one stack to one stack. It depends on your troops and tactics. I like to pin em with schiltrons and the lower rank spearmen, flank the hell out of em with skirmishers and cavalry, then (timing is everything) charge home with your berserk naked swordsmen and general. A couple of those druid spearmen help keep your low level troops from breaking too fast, and are a must-have. I keep the crossbowmen on the flanks too (if I have them at all), as their trajectory is too low IMO, and are more dangerous to your own troops who may happen to be in front of them than to the enemy.
    am redoing some stats w/ the celts enabling javelins w/ schiltron and kerns and making schiltron better anti-cavalry (as it should be, it IS supposed to be a 2-handed pike)
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Started a Sassanid campaign and it looks like the assassins behave correctly.

Celt assassins actually do seem to be improving trait-wise, but no pop up message appears. Still no ancillaries tho.

Was going to suggest javelins for the schiltron myself Looking forward to the next update!