Thread: Memoirs From Across the Sea - An Aizu AAR

Default Memoirs From Across the Sea - An Aizu AAR

December, 1867,

I arrived in the isle of Japan upon the Richardson, a steam-powered vessel that took to the waves rather gracefully. I had come to find that the peace that followed after the Civil War in the States left me wanting, a man of war must find himself a war to continue his profession. As luck would have it, I would not have to wait for much longer, thanks to the Japanese and their own civil war.

I was quite taken aback when I received a letter from one Yamakara Hiroshi, asking to offer my services to the northern domain of Aizu, teaching its soldiers discipline and the like. From what I could gather, the Aizu were traditionalists. Their leader, Matusdaira Katamori, fought primarily with sword and spear, and much of his army was composed of similarly armed samurai.

When I landed upon the island, however, I was quite surprised to find just how industrial that the Aizu were. There were factories smelting steel and iron, darkening the sky with smoke, and the Domain had an extensive railway system that could take you across the breadth and width of Aizu land. Infact, we took a train to the Aizu capitol, Fukushima.

It was late when we arrived, almost morning, and I was quickly given a room at a rather luxurious hotel.

I am told that I will be meeting Matsudaira in a few days. I am eager to see what this samurai will have me do.

Rufus Davy.

---------------------------------

Trying my hand at an AAR! Let's see how things go! There are going to be pictures, too!

Warrior A's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Memoirs From Across the Sea - An Aizu AAR

An interesting introduction. I am eager to see where this goes.