Thread: Editing units/ sizes and save game back compatibility

Default Editing units/ sizes and save game back compatibility

Hello there, just got Darth mod and am having fun with it but have a few questions.

Firstly is the mod compatible with already existing vanilla saved games? I started a new darth mod campaign as Austria at first but I was intrigued to see if my old vanilla saves would work. I loaded up a couple of older games, about 60 turns in and it seemed that they synchronised fine with the darth mod changes. Already trained units were still at normal sizes but I had all the new units as recruitment choices and the line infantry were 180 strong in the recruitment panel (although strangely not at 360 as I would have expected- as 2x was what I was running the rest of the DMN games, like the austrian campaign, on.

I just wanted to know if it was ok to continue old vanilla saves like this with the darth mod launcher or whether I'd be facing crashes down the line...

Also I've heard its possible to manually tweak unit sizes within darthmod, can anyone tell me how to do this, bearing in mind I have zero experience of writing game scripts...

Then finally is there any way to delete some of the many many new units from the game? Its fun to have some new units- I'm glad to be able to get middle guard for example, and the attack column is an interesting idea but there are so many practically identical line units that I feel are really unnecessary and just make it a chore painstakingly going through the bloated recruitment list to try to find the one unit you want to train.

Thanks for any help, Ralph

Default Re: Editing units/ sizes and save game back compatibility

One more thing (can you not edit posts here?) what does the 'extra' button next to emergent on the campaign launcher actually do? couldn't find anything about it in the guide....

I'll answer this:

Quote Originally Posted by bitey View Post
    One more thing (can you not edit posts here?) what does the 'extra' button next to emergent on the campaign launcher actually do? couldn't find anything about it in the guide....
    Extra is for playing as Italy or United Netherlands. They are separate because they replace other factions for being able to be playable.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    I'll answer this:

Extra is for playing as Italy or United Netherlands. They are separate because they replace other factions for being able to be playable.
    Ah ok, wasn't that bothered about playing as either of them, do you know about the other questions at all? am I right in thinking you 're largely responsible for this mod?

I rather answer what I know best. You can play vanilla saves but the size of existing units in save cannot be changed. New units should have the DMN size.

Civis

It means that i can't decrease unit size from 360 to 250? Thank you for helping.

I rather answer what I know best. You can play vanilla saves but the size of existing units in save cannot be changed. New units should have the DMN size.
    Sure, sorry that wasn't meant to sound accusing, I just thought I'd seen your name on other darthmod threads and was wondering if you were one of the main modders, but I guess as you say its better to get answers from the person directly responsible for each part, I don't know how many modders there were for darthmod in total.

What I've found is that for pre-darthmod vanilla saves basic line units go up to 180 and grenadiers to 160 and everything else stays the same which I presume is the 1x MP setting. Whats odd though is that I've only ever run the darth mod launcher with 2x so I'm not sure why they aren't 360/320 and 120 for cavalry...

Quote Originally Posted by bitey View Post
    What I've found is that for pre-darthmod vanilla saves basic line units go up to 180 and grenadiers to 160 and everything else stays the same which I presume is the 1x MP setting. Whats odd though is that I've only ever run the darth mod launcher with 2x so I'm not sure why they aren't 360/320 and 120 for cavalry...
    It is not clear what you mean. Are you saying that using an old vanilla save but this time with DMN 2x the new units have the 1x size (the already recruited cannot be changed)? Have you messed with unit size in game Options, Graphics (never change that)?

It is not clear what you mean. Are you saying that using an old vanilla save but this time with DMN 2x the new units have the 1x size (the already recruited cannot be changed)?
    Yeah exactly, loading a save from before I had darthmod gives what I presume are the 1x numbers to recruit new units even with 2x selected whilst already trained units stay at the vanilla ultra settings (160 line/120 light/60 cavalry etc) Strangely elite units seem not to go up to 180 in the recruitment panel too- things like the Imperial Guard for example, but maybe this is intentional...

Have you messed with unit size in game Options, Graphics (never change that)?
    Well when i played vanilla before darthmod, I used the ultra settings but looking at it now, darthmod has reset that to small on 2x (which is what it should be right?) and I havent changed that so I don't think thats the problem...

OK another strange thing- what do the darth mod launcher campaign selections actually do? because I selected the peninsular campaign to see if my pre-darth mod british peninsular save would suffer from the same problems as my French European campaign (which it did- 1x numbers for recruitable units) but then I loaded another save straight away (without restarting through the launcher)- my Austrian European campaign and that seemed to run fine- even without having selected the European campaign on the launcher- so I'm a little confused as to what choosing campaign in the launcher actually changes?

This is normal. When you select to load a save, you by pass the new campaign loading command which is enabled when you select a specific campaign. If your save has not content that conflicts with the current packs in game's data folder or does not demand the presence of packs currently missing, it will be loaded o.k. Else you get a CTD.

Any one else able to answer the other queries?