Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artillery in DMN

Default Re: Artillery in DMN

Quote Originally Posted by Istari6 View Post
    OK, will definitely give Mac's mod a try. Do we know why Darthmod NTW is so different from Darthmod ETW in this respect? Is there a way to compare Mac's mod against Darthmod ETW in terms of how artillery is configured? I don't need long-range canister - would prefer it to be short-range defense as it was historically, just give me reasonably accurate round shot at cannon's optimal range.

It's funny, I remember M2TW (I think I was using Lusted's mod way back then) and the differences between the demi-cannons and the culverins were really noticeable in accuracy at longer ranges. I was playing as the Spanish in the New World campaign, and it felt awesome to be forced to follow the historical practices of using older artillery for siege (since they were only accurate enough to hit something the size of a castle wall :>) while being able to use newer artillery pieces (with better accuracy and flatter trajectories) for battlefield tasks like targeting cavalry groups at medium/long-range. Gave me a great appreciation for how the advances in artillery tech at that time offered new capabilities to commanders.

Hoping that Mac's mod can offer some of that same historical feel to NTW, forcing the use of different weapons for different tasks because of the trade off between power, accuracy & mobility.
    Hmm well from what I can remember, ETW arty seemed to have a much larger area of effect (almost explosive) when the cannonball hit its target whereas NTW's artillery cannonball is a lot more realistic in that respect; only damaging those who physically come into contact with the projectile. 6 pounders are largely accurate enough in Mac's mod to be effective only when using round shots, 4-5 units of artillery can easily rout a unit of cavalry within half a minute and can cut down a single infantry unit by about 40-50 men in that time, although it really depends on where you aim your guns

I only really bring 12 pounders to the table for counter-artillery and other units out of range but the bulk of my stacks have 6 pounder horsies. If there's one thing I can criticise about NTW's artillery in general, it would be when targets who are out of range become instantly immune to any artillery impact, despite it knocking back 10 or so troops (who all in turn get up coughing and limping). ETW arty was superior with regards to this particular scenario.

6y7t8h,

Thanks for the reply. Will be great to have a more realistic round shot impact versus the "shock wave" effect of ETW. Interesting tidbit there re: the range effect in NTW, didn't know that. You just saved me from some confusion and frustration when my long-range artillery isn't having any impact .

I have no idea why CA decided to neuter artillery in Napoleon. It was much more effective in Empire, and actually had an effect on the outcome of a battle. You would think that it would it would be at least as effective, if not more, being set a hundred years later. I was disappointed with its effectiveness in Napoleon (and DM) so I will definitely try Macs mod

panzer.tc's Avatar Civis

For those not satisfied with their artillery, I would suggest changing your tactics. Artillery in NTW can be of great value when used with care. Use your long range artillery (12lbr and larger) to harass the enemy infantry when they are at some distance yes; but do so using enfilade fire, or simply fire from their flanks. If you are able, put one (or more) 12lbr battery on each flank of your line (on high ground if you can, I also try to position them slightly behind my own line - to protect from enemy cavalry) then use the battery(s) from the right flank to engage enemy units on your left flank, and vice-versa. This will give you a better angle of fire than would straight-on firing. This works well against infantry or cavalry. Once you get a couple chevrons of experience you will notice your artillery hitting their targets more effectively. As you wear down one unit, move on to the adjacent unit. I have broken up many attacks using this tactic. Also be advised enemy units do take morale hits merely by being 'under artillery fire'. You will of course have to adjust this to suit the terrain you are setting up on, however in general it has always worked well for me. Once you are able to recruit howitzers, you cannot say NTW artillery is ineffective. I have utterly destroyed opposing forces using howitzers alongside other artillery, howitzers and carcass shot....... ooooh, pretty fire. There are a lot of things wrong with vanilla NTW but artillery effectiveness (especially using DMN and Mac's BAI/CAI) is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Well use this-It helps a lot Unpack it into your napoleon total war data folder. Arty will be deadly! I always use it with my settings.
    Greetings Mac. Can you perhaps further elaborate what your sub-mod exactly changes?

Quote Originally Posted by panzer.tc View Post
    There are a lot of things wrong with vanilla NTW but artillery effectiveness (especially using DMN and Mac's BAI/CAI) is not one of them.
    NTW artillery has been broken for the longest time. Canister always shot too high, flying over the heads of advancing troops. In the latest version of DMN this is partially fixed. After I tried BMB's mod it felt like I was playing with DME artillery again. I may not agree on the increased range, but the damage is just right. Now I can actually use similar tactics to DME and have my artillery advance with my troops instead only using it for counter battery.

panzer.tc's Avatar Civis

The only complaints I have regarding artillery in DMN (and even DME), I never play vanilla, are that they: a) seem to be omnipotent and can fire very accurately at units they could not possibly see (artillery in the 17th and 18th centuries were direct fire weapons); and b) it seems to take forever to reload, they fire once as soon as infantry come into canister range (approx. 150-200 yards or more - I think, not sure) then before they can reload the infantry are upon them (either the artillery reloads to slowly - as opposed to actual reload times it took to reload OR the infantry in the game can run too fast). I have always used canister with deadly effectiveness provided the crews reloaded quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by VeteranGKH View Post
    I have no idea why CA decided to neuter artillery in Napoleon. It was much more effective in Empire, and actually had an effect on the outcome of a battle. You would think that it would it would be at least as effective, if not more, being set a hundred years later. I was disappointed with its effectiveness in Napoleon (and DM) so I will definitely try Macs mod
    Artillery is not neutered in vanilla, nor in several of the other mods. I played a long campaign as the British in NER, and the artillery was as effective as it should be. DMN dials down its effectiveness hugely, to such an extent that you're likely to do more damage with a unit of militia.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

Is the Increased_art_damage sub mod still good for Darthmod?

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

GM207 -use Bran Mac Born sub mod-artillery IS effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12