Thread: A small teaser of Vigamenn - unique Viking unit

Icon7 A small teaser of Vigamenn - unique Viking unit

Vígamenn are the hardscrabble and wild hangers on of a host, sometimes locals fighting as irregulars, sometimes paid thugs to putting their blades to good use.
    They are often a desperate sort of people willing to rush into a breach and cut down the foemen with savage enthusiasm, often because they stand in the way of the Vígamenn's next, and all to rare, meal.
    Armed with a whatever weapon they find, Vígamenn are savvy assault troops, able to fight irregularly both as a unit, as well as in method, biting and punching, and throwing clods of earth to blind combatants.
    This gives them an advantage on broken ground, in city streets, and marshy and wooded wilderness, but will be slain by more organized warriors in open terrain, in a fair fight.
    Vígamenn are willing to do some of the less valorous work, such as slitting the throats of fallen fighters, and can be relied upon to fight.

"Five hundred doors and forty there are,
    I ween, in Valhall’s walls;
    Eight hundred fighters through one door fare
    When to war with the wolf they go." - the Grimnismol

A Vigaman's neccesities:

An axe, a broken piece of furniture from last nights debauchery, a thor's hammer, a seax... maybe another seax if looted, and most importantly - mead and drinking horns

And some screenshots
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hope you enjoyed this teaser of one of my new units which have a slightly different flavor than all the others!
    Last edited by Úlfhéðinn; May 29, 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: A small teaser of Vigamenn - unique Viking unit

wow awesome stuff there, how the hell did you do that barrell thing that's hilarious
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Thank's buddy, it's just a matter of creative thinking and playing with the unit model, but I am happy about how they turned out.

Hermod's Avatar Miles

That barrell thing is pretty good, quite funny as well.

Iosias's Avatar Laetus

That is a pretty cool unit there! Very nice work! Good to see this mod is still being worked on. Seems like every other mod forum I visit, the mod is dead.

That barrel is awesome by the way!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Really Alive Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    That barrell thing is pretty good, quite funny as well.
    That's exactly what I was going for. Even though mead barrels probably wasn't brought along into battle by the fighters it gives the unit a very unique and rememorable look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iosias View Post
    That is a pretty cool unit there! Very nice work! Good to see this mod is still being worked on. Seems like every other mod forum I visit, the mod is dead.

That barrel is awesome by the way!
    I agree, most people lose interest in this old M2TW engine.
    Interestingly it is still quite good with the right mods in it.
    With some decent graphic mods, nice unitwork, a well made campaign and stats work and very important: a good AI enhancer (I can recommend VeryBadAI by Germanicu5 which are currently featured in WotN) M2TW mods is quite competitive with newer strategy games.
    Newer Totalwar games seems to have very limited modding capability and the games are usually very simplistic and bugful upon release.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannibalbarca13 View Post
    Really Alive Stuff.
    Thank you, I've worked on the units a lot to try to make them look real, using larger files with more detail for skinning and including real photos for faces.
    I even made the entire model from scratch to avoid those cube-like arms and feet from vanilla. The biggest issue comes when the animations twists the bodyparts to unnatural angles but this is impossible to do anything with.
    I am a guy that likes to really zoom in on the action and want it to look as real as possible with blood, decapitations and high quality units, so I've really put a lot of work into this first of more to come units.