Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.5 Hotseat Campaign - Started!

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default RS2.5 Hotseat Campaign - Started!

Update: The Campaign started now. Go here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post11537952

Are you tired of the lousy AI, and want to be challenged? Do you want to have real diplomacy, and plan hidden and nefarious plots against your enemys as well as your allies?

Join the RS2.5 0-turn Hotseat campaign!

The difficulty will be M/M. The difficulty levels give boni to AI factions, which obviously aren't needed in a hotseat campaign. The engine used will be Alexander.

The Rules:

• No cheating!
    • No reloading your turn.
    • There is a time limit of 24-hours - You have to play your turn & upload the save before the time runs out; otherwise the AI will play your turn. If you know you are unable to play, you can name someone to play for you.
    • You have to autoresolve every battle against a Human, and post a screen of the battle results. You are free to play a battle against the AI on the battlefield, though.

If you suspect someone is cheating, report it to me, and I will investigate it. For this, I will store any uploaded save, so that I can go back to the turn the suspected cheating took place.

If it is proven that the player in question cheated, he will be fined (In the game). If he repeats it, he might get kicked from the game and someone else continues to play his faction.

Backstabbing your allies is allowed! But beware, you might earn a reputation ...

Some balancing changes have been made in order to avoid one faction from steamrolling the entire map, and Cataphract Elephants have been powered down.

Faction roster:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Romans - Luke Vader
    Ptolemaic Kingdom - Ferdiad
    Cimbri - Anthropoid
    Macedon - Evalation
    Gaelici - Foster34
    Belgae - Thracian Princess
    Scythia - Dean Martin
    Dacia - Siimus Maximus
    Parthia - Julius Caesar Augustus
    Pergamon - DedlySerious
    Sparta - Predator1994
    Seleucid Empire - Julio Claudian/Simon Bar Kochba
    Carthage - Smerka
    Arverni - Sadlogic

Once enough players have joined, I will make the neccessary adjustments and upload them.

Post the faction you want to play with here, as well as any question you might have.

Update: Quite some people have joined by now, and in order for the turns not to take ages we need to get a "common time". For this, please post your timezone nay, we make it easier:

Just look at your watch when you post, and tell us what time you currently have, as well as the time you are normally online.

Also, we still have free factions - especially Carthage and the Seleucid Empire could use a player. Everyone can join - this includes the guests browsing the forum.
    Last edited by Primo; June 02, 2012 at 06:18 AM.

Default Re: RS2.5 Hotseat Campaign - Join now!

Here is the download link, gents:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3748

And here are the installation & playing instructions:

First, unzip the folder and copy it into your main RS folder - the folder where you can see all the "play_XXX" - folders:

Then start your launcher. Go to the menu where you can select another faction - and there to "Battles and Multiplayer".

Write "Hotseat" in the white field, then press on "Enter Submod Name then save here".

Press ok afterwards, then start RS2.

Once you got a save, copy it into data/hotseat/saves.

Load it. You should have full control of your faction, like when you normally start a campaign.

Important: Don't forget to activate the script - you can activate it by selecting a settlement of yours.

Play your turn, and then press the "end turn" button. You should see this now:

Just save now manually again, then quit the game and upload your save. The next player repeats this process.

I would like that everyone starts a campaign now, and plays a few turns (with all factions) to see if there are any errors.

The Hotseat will start once everyone confirmed that the files work for them. This is also the last chance for other players to join.

Note: If you play several nation's turns, you always need to quit the game before you reload your own save - otherwise the script isn't working properly.

Also: There are no client state/Occupy/Citizenship buildings. This is intentional, for non-romans they are quite useless anyway (if available at all).

Feel free to ask your questions away.
    Last edited by Primo; May 30, 2012 at 06:25 AM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I'll play. Forgotten the factions lol.

Romans, Carthage, Boii, Gaelici, Sparta, Parthia, Seleucid Empire, Greek City States, Macedon, Ptolemaic Kingdom, Armenia, Pergamon, Arverni, Scythia, Cimbri, Sarmatia, Getai, Pontus

Did I forget any?
    Last edited by Primo; May 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Ptolemaic Kingdom it is.

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro
    In the nether regions of the Puritan hinterlands

I'll take Cimbri. Will this be PBEM (play by email) or what?

ADDIT: have done quite a bit of multiplayer in other turn-based strategy games but never did this game MP.
    Last edited by Anthropoid; May 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
    I'll take Cimbri. Will this be PBEM (play by email) or what?
    Indeed.
    Last edited by Primo; May 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro

Cool. Sent you a PM with my email. I presume you'll distribute a list later?

Well, you can also just attach the save to your post ...

I said it is PBEM because it functions exactly the same way. Just not per email.

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro

Ah. I guess one admin person has to 'collate' all the diff players turns, eh?

What is that supposed to mean? "Collate"?

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro

col·late/kəˈlāt/

Verb:
    • Collect and combine (texts, information, or sets of figures) in proper order.
    • Compare and analyze (texts or other data).
    Not sure if this is how MP with RTW engine works but, for example: with Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition (Napoleonic Era strategic war game) if you had more than two human players, there was one guy who was the 'manager' or something. That guy had to setup the game itself and assign the player nicknames to each faction they were playing (Russia, Prussia, Austria, etc.). Then to complete each turn, each player emailed (or posting it in a thread would work too) it to the manager dude and the manager dude opened up the game multiplayer launcher window. I never did it myself, but, in that MP window the manager would then select "collate player turns" or something like that and then tell the turn to execute, causing all 7 or 8 player orders to execute in more or less simultaneous fashion. This would then generate an end of turn save that the manager gave back to the players. Each player then opened up the save and used his/her password to open up his factions instance to check the outcome of the preceding turn.

Is that more-or-less how it works with the RTW engine?

ADDIT: or maybe it is more like how it worked in Civ3? Where each faction executes its actions in sequence one after the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
    Not sure if this is how MP with RTW engine works but, for example: with Crown of Glory Emperor's Edition (Napoleonic Era strategic war game) if you had more than two human players, there was one guy who was the 'manager' or something. That guy had to setup the game itself and assign the player nicknames to each faction they were playing (Russia, Prussia, Austria, etc.). Then to complete each turn, each player emailed (or posting it in a thread would work too) it to the manager dude and the manager dude opened up the game multiplayer launcher window. I never did it myself, but, in that MP window the manager would then select "collate player turns" or something like that and then tell the turn to execute, causing all 7 or 8 player orders to execute in more or less simultaneous fashion. This would then generate an end of turn save that the manager gave back to the players. Each player then opened up the save and used his/her password to open up his factions instance to check the outcome of the preceding turn.

Is that more-or-less how it works with the RTW engine?

ADDIT: or maybe it is more like how it worked in Civ3? Where each faction executes its actions in sequence one after the other?
    It is like this:

I will start a campaign, and play my first turn. End it, save and quit the game. I upload the save, the next player downloads it. The background script swaps the faction the player controls, so he plays his faction with my save now.

He uploads it again, and the next player downloads it ...

True hotseat is impossible with RTW. This way we "trick" the engine.

I, as the "manager" here, will just collect all the saves, so that I can control whether there has been any cheating taking place. I only do this if there are suspicions that a player cheats, for I would otherwise get an unfair advantage, seeing as I am also a player.

Evalation's Avatar Centenarius

ive never done a hotseat campaign before, but if youll let me ill give it a shot.

If i can join ill take Macedon

Quote Originally Posted by Evalation View Post
    ive never done a hotseat campaign before, but if youll let me ill give it a shot.

If i can join ill take Macedon
    Of course.

Forgot to mention that: The hotseat will use the alex.exe

Seeing that everyone wanting to join owns it, it is hopefully not too late to mention it.

It's a good incentive if you haven't got it already.

i have alexander but i dont have it installed.

But you install it so you can play, too, right?

Yea ill get it installed. Will i also have to reinstall roma surrectum?

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast