Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Black Knight's Tutorial on castle making

Default The Black Knight's Tutorial on castle making

Most people are still looking and checking around at the different tools for ted.

For those too lazy to figure it out, or don't have very much time, here is a tutorial to help out.

First, lets set up our walls. To perfectly allign everything however you are going to need to turn on all the grids at the bottom of the screen.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Then set up several random walls. THEN HIT SELECT. You can now move them however you like but now your moves are locked so you can move things to perfect positions.

Use the pieces to create the wall. The grid should help you place your wall perfecly. If you are struggling, check your grid.
    just pop them in to place like so.

Then continue to create your wall.
    I you want to angle somthing, surn off the grid and change you angles around. Then turn the grid back on.

Cange the digit circles in red to change it to the same angle by copy and paste.

You will see a red box. If you drag the red box, it automatically perfectly allign your walls.

Use this same method until you make any design you want. Ill just make a square for the tutorial.

Now that you have your walls.

Now we need to fiulll this in with ground.

Got to height tool and prepare to fill your hole in. Turn all your grids off.

Now set your ground to the heighth of the walls (16.9). Make sure your scale is small when your edging so that you don't cause glitches.
    Last edited by ♔The Black Knight♔; July 29, 2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: added tag / fixed BB

Default Re: SamWarrior's Tutorial on castle making

Now lets make the walls garrisonable.

First make a zone around your castle. Make sure you place them with each set of walls for the each set to work properly. Place the zones closer to the wall then I did to avoid problems.

The zone is very important for the steps to come. Try placing the lines alot closer to the walls. I spread the zone out so you wouldn't have a hard time seeing things. Now go to ef lines and select "high wall".

These are totally optional. Place these lines around the wall like so.Make sure that the ef lines are on the wall and have the point sticking inside, not outside, the castle.

Now place a gate line too. Again, totally optional. Actulally faster to skip.

Now place a go region around the castle so the computer doesn't think its a mountain and boot you off. Also make some deployment regions.

Make sure none of the blue deployment are doesn't touch the lines and also make sure that all the lines you are placing are in the "zone" and the "go zone".

Also made one mistake. Where your red deployment zone is should be where my blue is.

All you need to do is flip flop them around and you'll be ok.

Remember this isn't perfect so if you take your time you can easily make averthing perfect. I went alittle fast so it has some ground sticking out and stuff.
    Last edited by ♔The Black Knight♔; July 29, 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Now add the capture points next to the buildings that should be able to be captured. Just place them right next to the building and they will automatically attach to them(Not phisically.)

Almost done, all you need to do now is create some ai hints along the attacking side, this will show where the ai will have troops attack.Use fort approach. They should be placed withen the deployment zones, so the ai can actually place troops there.

Now you are done. Have fun with your new castle!

Now go build a castle that easily puts mine to shame.

NOTE: FOR THOSE WHO ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH THE WALLS JUMPING UP YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE BUILDING TO FREE FORM.

Any questions can be asked below. If you would like to use the square for reference, here it is.
    Last edited by ♔The Black Knight♔; July 29, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

The Dutch Devil's Avatar Krakiszki the Hunter
    Content Emeritus

Thread moved from Shogun II to tools, tutorials and resources.

Patronized by the glorious all knowing Legio.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Great guide +rep

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

good stuff man.

Can you post the example castle you made? Still can't get the walls to be scalable.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

batufb94's Avatar Civis

Great guide ı'm trying now.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

It is good guide, but i have problem because your 3rd picture doesn't work or see. Also I have some problem how make nice clean walls. specially I can't get foward in 1-2 tips.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; May 27, 2012 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Can you post the example castle you made? Still can't get the walls to be scalable.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Noif♔ View Post
    It is good guide, but i have problem because your 3rd picture doesn't work or see. Also I have some problem how make nice clean walls. specially I can't get foward in 1-2 tips.
    If you turning all your grids, place a few walls and press select will only allow you to move the walls in clean distances. If you do that then you should have no problem making clean walls.

Will also try to do some revise and editing to make the walls more understandable. I there anything else i need to put more detail in? The Picture works now.
    Last edited by ♔The Black Knight♔; May 27, 2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Double post

Hi. Followed the tutorial (very helpful and well-written, thanks), but I have one problem with my new castle. I've got the garrison working at the walls and outside the castle, but when ordering units to locations inside the castle but not actually on the walls (i.e. the raised space), the cursor displays the same as when placing units on the wall but does not actually give move orders.

Do you happen to know what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniak View Post
    Hi. Followed the tutorial (very helpful and well-written, thanks), but I have one problem with my new castle. I've got the garrison working at the walls and outside the castle, but when ordering units to locations inside the castle but not actually on the walls (i.e. the raised space), the cursor displays the same as when placing units on the wall but does not actually give move orders.

Do you happen to know what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    As far as I can tell, it's just a bug.

Will do some research to find a fix.

Adreno's Avatar Senator

Have you figured out yet how to do make clean walls and make them garrisonable for the starfort corner and the diagonal pieces? mine keep rising

Quote Originally Posted by Adreno View Post
    Have you figured out yet how to do make clean walls and make them garrisonable for the starfort corner and the diagonal pieces? mine keep rising
    Just added that to my guide. Check it on my third post.

Adreno's Avatar Senator

oh how stupid of me.. ofcourse! thanks mate

Adreno's Avatar Senator

So it should look something like this? you only have to fill up to the inside level where there is no soil? no soil underneath the parts where the men will be standing? or will that conflict with EF lines later on?

Yea you don't want to cover the walls with dirt. Try using a smaller to and square to help you.

Adreno's Avatar Senator

Well yeah the ouside is clean so thats fine im more concerned with those gravel parts.. do men walk automatically on them or do you have to support all of that with soil aswell not just the stuff you dont see missing in the first place, because when placing EF lines i can see them go up and down if i try to follow the walls when the soil is not the same height underneath them

Adreno's Avatar Senator

Allright i guess i worked it out yeah, using the smallest brush works,, you can see the differences

Good, hope to see some impressive castles from you!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast