Thread: High ping?

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default High ping?

Hey guys

I LOVE this game, but over the past 2 weeks or so I have been getting some annoyingly high ping in multiplayer which is causing me to lag (in the region of 150 - 400). I can occasionally get a few minutes where the ping is below 50, but it always shoots back up to 300 or something. My computer can run ETW on ultra, so I wouldn't think it's that. This ping has been high in every server I have joined, what could the problem be?

Cheers, Redcoat
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Default Re: High ping?

The quality of your computer is mostly irrelevant to ping. Since you can get pings under 50, it's probably something to do with your ISP, or you're downloading something at the same time.

I've been having the opposite problem, my ping normally stays around 40 on Warband but sometimes people warp around or when I'm moving quickly I warp.

I have the same problem in NW except my ping can get higher there.

Indefinitely Banned

Ping isn't always affected by your computer, like Philip said, could be your ISP or you are downloading things at the same time.

moved

^ the biggest effect on ping is basically how far you are physically from where the server is hosted.

If your in nz or austrilia basically give up on finding any populated server with a good ping.
    Check out my YouTube videos!

That's partially true, it depends on the network though. If we can assume a greater path across a variety of fiber optic networks introduces a variety of variables that may degrade the connection then yes.

^ that or multiple chokepoints like the underwater cables from nz to aussie, and aussie to... etc.

Sniff i so want to play crpg.. and theres a server with 98 people on it... but its ping is 300 and a ping of 300 on warband = teleporting, not just losing every fight due to slowed reactions.
    Check out my YouTube videos!

choke points could be considered a variable, but yes.