Thread: The Ancient Project

Default The Ancient Project

PREVIEW 1

What is the Ancient Project?

The Ancient Project is an Ancient era mod for the upcoming Medieval 2:Total war. It is the first of its type, and will be a great mod because it will utilise the full potential of the Medieval engine, for instance in hoplite units, all soldiers will look different, which will be a major step towards historical accuracy. Although this is a Historical mod, we also view gameplay as equally important, although because of the state of Medieval 2, it is hard to comment on the gameplay of it at the moment. The Ancient Project is the result of much interest in making a Greek era mod, and i have made a new thread because we now have a new name, team, and many new ideas.

Well, gimme some info about it

Well, although we havent finalised these decisions, we beleive the mod will start around 500BC, just before Xerxes' invasions of Greece. We are planning on having around 35 factions in this mod, but we recognise that because of possible hardcodes that this number will more than likely be reduced and changed throughout development.

1.) City of Lacedaemon (Sparta)
    2.) City of Athenai (Athens)
    3.) City of Korinthos (Corinth)
    4.) The Kindom of Macedon
    5.) The Boeotian League
    6.) The Ionian League
    7.) City of Syracuse
    8.) Republic of Carthage
    9.) Republic of Rome
    10.) The Persian Empire
    11.) Etrurians
    12.) Thessaly
    13.) Samnites
    14.) City of Taras
    15.) 'Sicilian' Faction (Sicily sub-faction, will challenge Syracuse and Carthage)
    16.) Italian tribe 1 (Italia sub-faction, will challenge Rome, Greek Cities, and Etruria.)
    17.) Italian tribe 2
    18.) Italian tribe 3
    19.) Iberian Tribe 1
    20.) Iberian Tribe 2
    21.) Iberian Tribe 3 (The idea behind this is to have more than one faction in Iberia, excluding Carthage.)
    22.) Celtic Tribe 1
    23.) Celtic Tribe 2 (The map should be pulled up north just slightly, so we have Cisalpine Gaul)
    24.) Africa Sub-Faction 1- possible either Libya or Numidia
    25.) Africa Sub-Faction 1- possible either Libya or Numidia
    26.) Cretans?

The Map

Yet again, we will have to prepare for any hardcoded issues we might face, but this is a concept for the map we will have...

Areas in Red are high priority territories. They are areas that cannot be left out, and at the bare minimum due to hardoded stuff this would have to be our map

Areas in orange are 2nd priority. They are areas not nessesary for the mod's developent, but are still quite important places for this time period, and these will certainly be attempted to put into the map.

Areas in yellow are desirable areas. They arent nessesary, but these areas would add expandability to the mod. These new territories depend also on the faction limit as to how we can go about expanding this map.

And these are some draft regions files done by our mapper/historian Xiphos;

The Peloponnesian Peninsula (a toungue twister I think)

And this is Sicily

Units

Now, we will plan to include as many units as we can in this mod, and we are working away to acheive this, by researching everything about this time period.

Here is some concept art, draws by Blank;

This is a Spartan hoplite, although it could possibly be used as a royal guard...

A princepe.

Some shield designs

a levy hoplite with secondary weapon

And an egyptian spearman, done by myself...

Now, here are some WIP models and skins, done by myself...
    I know myself that there are many bugs, inaccuracies and problems with the models, they are very 'rough round the edges' but they suffice for an idea of what the units will look like...
    The general, carrying his helmet under his arm, marches alongside his men

A fierce battle between an Athenian, and a spartan. The Athenian lunges to strike, but the skillful spartan has found his target, and strikes the unfortunate Athenian in the neck.

A man of Athens, standing guard.

thats yer lot

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this little update

The Ancient Project Team;

Lentonius- Director, Modeler, Skinner, Art
    Dionysios II The Great- Co-Director, Lead Historian
    Blank- Art, Historian
    Xiphos- Mapper, Historian
    Pieman.Uk- Coder, Historian
    Illyrian- Historian
    God Zeys- Historian
    Shiponja_hayabusa- Historian

I sure hope i havent left anybody out

Also, please show your support by using these great siggies, made by Blank;

GREEK ERA MOD FOR MEDIEVAL 2- JOIN TODAY, THE ANCIENT PROJECT!!!
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Ancient_Project/

Default Re: The Ancient Project

Great work, guys.
    The mod is growing big... :original:

I'll get a list of "final" faction list (if there are less than 26 faction sin mtw2 we might let some away.)
    After discussion with the team off course. :wink:

“Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both.” -Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel.

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

Why would you have to constrict your map like that anyways? Considering Medieval II takes place in Europe, and Europe is a pretty large place, wouldn't you be able to have that entire map?
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Why would you have to constrict your map like that anyways? Considering Medieval II takes place in Europe, and Europe is a pretty large place, wouldn't you be able to have that entire map?
    Because they only want the Medeterranian parts, the other parts were owned by tribes that cannot be implemented properlly in the RTW engine, the tribal parts are insignificant compared to other areas(eg Asia minor, Greece)
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Also, looking at the small-ish size of the Medieval 2 map, it seems that if we simply used that then key areas like Greece, that need to hold around 7-10 factions, would have to share a couple of provinces, so with this new area, it seems that we could enlarge the map to make it more realistic...

waw... this is great =) good work =)
    Sitarus Originalus Pontifex Maximus -30+
    Gen. von Sitar
    also known as original-30+
    Slovenci kremeniti!

Ok, guys. i got a faction list so far:
    - Kingdom Of Lacedeamon
    - City of Athenai
    - City of Korinthos
    - Kingdom of Makedonia
    - Boeotian League
    - Ionian League
    - City of Syracuse
    - Republic of Carthage
    - Republic of Roma
    - Persian Empire
    - Etruscan League
    - Thessaly
    - Samnite Confederation
    - City of Taras
    - Volsci Tribe (Volscans)
    - Campania
    - Umbria
    - City of Croton
    - Celtiberians
    - Lusitani Tribe
    - Turdetani Tribe
    - Senones Tribe
    - Liguria Tribe
    - Kingdom of Numidia
    - Libyan Tribes
    - Kingdom of Crete
    - Kingdom of Odrysia
    - Moesii Tribe
    - Scordisci Tribe
    - Delmatae Tribe
    - Dardani Tribe
    - Nabatea
    - Iberian Tribes (Modern day Georgia and Armenia)
    - Albanian Tribes ( Modern Day Azebijan)
    - Aetolia

“Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both.” -Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel.

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Imk not sure about the accuracy of your principe, he appears to have a marian legionary shield, and should really be wearing a monterfortino style helmet.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

It's just a concept art by our 2d art developer. I'll be responsible for historical accuracy in the mod, until MTW2 is released, and the modellers and skinenrs strat working, i can't do much besides researching...

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Looks like a promising beginning.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Looks like a promising beginning.
    Thanks, also, we're still planning etc. don't think we're dead because we don't say alot. :original:

You guys seems you're not bored rtw and mods. I wait mtw2 whole time...
    Last edited by Barbarian Warlord; August 02, 2006 at 01:24 PM.

Update 6/10/06

We are still alive, and at present are researching faction and unit lists in the one month-ish left until release. We really need some more members. Any skinners, modelers or historians are all greatly appreciated!

Plus, any people wishing to learn how to skin please contact me, as this would be a good opportunity for both sides. I will personally teach up to 10 people how to skin and use photoshop, all i ask in return is to assist me in making some skins for the mod once its out. If you're interested please contact me.

Regards
    Lentonius

you could use the CA hoplite skin of Alexander total war, just give it an new model and change the colours alittle
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysios II The Great
    Ok, guys. i got a faction list so far:
    - Kingdom Of Lacedeamon
    - City of Athenai
    - City of Korinthos
    - Kingdom of Makedonia
    - Boeotian League
    - Ionian League
    - City of Syracuse
    - Republic of Carthage
    - Republic of Roma
    - Persian Empire
    - Etruscan League
    - Thessaly
    - Samnite Confederation
    - City of Taras
    - Volsci Tribe (Volscans)
    - Campania
    - Umbria
    - City of Croton
    - Celtiberians
    - Lusitani Tribe
    - Turdetani Tribe
    - Senones Tribe
    - Liguria Tribe
    - Kingdom of Numidia
    - Libyan Tribes
    - Kingdom of Crete
    - Kingdom of Odrysia
    - Moesii Tribe
    - Scordisci Tribe
    - Delmatae Tribe
    - Dardani Tribe
    - Nabatea
    - Iberian Tribes (Modern day Georgia and Armenia)
    - Albanian Tribes ( Modern Day Azebijan)
    - Aetolia
    is not right, Kingdom of Iberia was only Georgian state, not Armenian. see the map:

Wow nice drawings im jealous! i 2 draw hoplites and the likes and i just wanted to show my appreciation for your drawings and i hope u make this mod

oh god not a other ancient war lol..

a hegemonia type mod for mtw 2 is something worth playing woohooo
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

It looks like a great mod, I would download it and try it right away.