Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: [Preview] Kingdom of Scotland

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Aquilifer
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: [Preview] Kingdom of Scotland

No Osprey Pics Please
    Last edited by Lord Hamilton; October 18, 2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed Copyright Material

Lord Hamilton's Avatar Treun anns a' chath
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Hornblower View Post
    No Osprey Pics Please
    Hey mate,

Thanks for sharing the pics - unfortunately I had to take them down due to copyright. Osprey is pretty adamant that material from their publications not be displayed on TWC.

Appreciate the effort though!

Cheers,
    -LH

P.S. We've got all the Osprey books anyways

highlander 69's Avatar Ikko-Ikki
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hi there I just played the demo and I loved every minute of it. I just want to add some of my thoughts regarding Scotland its about time that someone emphasized scotland anglosaxon/norman lowland culture that vanilla and the other mods ignore. When you decide to work on scotlands highland culture I hope you emphasize the norse/gaelic culture of the highlands of scotland and we some interesting units I would realy like to see a highland unit representing the nobles and landowners wearing chain mail and wielding a claymore.

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Aquilifer
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by highlander 69 View Post
    Hi there I just played the demo and I loved every minute of it. I just want to add some of my thoughts regarding Scotland its about time that someone emphasized scotland anglosaxon/norman lowland culture that vanilla and the other mods ignore. When you decide to work on scotlands highland culture I hope you emphasize the norse/gaelic culture of the highlands of scotland and we some interesting units I would realy like to see a highland unit representing the nobles and landowners wearing chain mail and wielding a claymore.
    I agree!

Gaelstrix's Avatar Vexillifer
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I really love what you guys are doing and trying to show Scotland historically.
    Just try not to go TOO far along the anglo-norman route culture-wise. Wallace and Bruce along with the majority of the nobility, even with many Anglo-Normans marrying into the families, would certainly still have been Scottish (Gaelic) speakers. James IV (17 March 1473-9 September 1513) was however the last King of Scots to speak Scottish.
    In the 12th century, 90%+ of Scotland spoke Gaelic, baring the Norse controlled outer Hebrides, Caithness and Northern Isles, as well as some Cumbric and Anglo-Saxon men of Lothian in the borders.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scots_lang-en.svg
    By the year 1400, due to the emergence of royal burgh towns and the necessity of using Scots English in trade with the south and Europe, Scots English spread over the borders and central belt, as well as the northeast coast.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La...nd_1400_AD.svg

Still, over half the population were Gaelic speakers, but the trend continued and by 1700 only 30% remained Gaelic speakers. The demographics were different at the time with most people still living in the countryside and half the population living north of the Tay river. However with the industrial revolution many people migrated to the towns and cities in the central belt, in the "Lowland Clearances". Then after the law took power away from the Highland chiefs to halt the rebellions, the then overpopulated Highlanders also moved south or emigrated.

So I just ask to use the maps as guidance on setting the culture in settlements, I'm not sure of the start date, but confining Gaelic culture to only the north west Highlands would be a as great a historical travesty as was vanilla, just, in the opposite direction.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread Information