Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Kingdom of Scotland

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default [Preview] Kingdom of Scotland

Introduction to the faction Scotland. At least, that is what the Normans call the region that once was the proud Gaelic Kingdom of Alba. The current kingdom encompasses much of the same territory but is much more Anglo-Norman in nature. Under the long rule of thirty years of Alexander II, Scotland was able to challenge England on numerous occasions. With the threat of attack from Henry III of England blunted by the Baron’s Alliance, Alexander can now focus his attention on the Norse-Gael Lordship of the Isles.

Since its inception in the ninth century, the Kingdom of Alba/Scotland had been surrounded by competitors and rivals: to the west resided the Lordship of the Isles, to the north the Earldom of Orkney, and the south the Kingdom of Northumbria and eventually the Kingdom of England. With the Norman invasion of England in 1066, Scotland under Malcolm III found itself to be the home of Anglo-Saxon refugees and was even persuaded to support Saxon claims to the throne of England. William the Conqueror put an end to the invasions, but Scotland soon resurged again with the ascension of William Rufus to the English throne. The English monarch countered swiftly, killing the Scottish king in a border raid. The death of Malcolm led to a turbulent era in Scottish history, one where Norman landlords encroached on the lowlands and established a new Anglo-Norman regime in the Kingdom of Scotland. With the ascension of David I as king in 1124, who was backed by Henry I, Scotland and England became politically entangled for decades to come, intervening in the affairs of one another. Scotland, at least the lowlands, came to resemble its southern neighbor: dominated by a feudal class of knights. William I of Scotland, who backed Henry (son of Henry II Plantagenet) in the Revolt of 1173 against his father, led his kingdom to be occupied by Henry II and was forced to accept the English monarch as overlord. William was succeeded by Alexander II in 1215. The young ruler immediately set out against King John “Lackland” of England in support of the Baron Alliance, but left empty-handed when the Magna Carta was signed by the king and the rebelling barons. Establishing the southern border of Scotland in 1237 with the Treaty of York, Alexander went on to crush a rebellion in Galloway and head off an invasion of his kingdom by Henry III.

Alexander II and his wife, Marie de Coucy, gave birth to their only child, a son named Alexander, in 1241. The young child is the only heir to the throne if the king of Scotland was to perish.

Forming the backbone of the Scottish army was their famed spearmen. Both the regular and militia forces were drilled in the schiltrom formation, a circular formation with pikes bristling outward. The Scottish king is able to call upon elite archers of Ettick and Selkirk to provide his forces with ranged troops, but they excel in skirmish tactics rather than the mass volleys of the English/Welsh longbowmen. Forming the elite arm are the knights of the Scottish lowlands. Descendants of Norman landlords, they serve as heavy cavalry, smashing through the lines of Scotland’s enemies. While they may not be as well armed or armored as their English counterparts, the Lowland knights are able to match them in knightly élan and martial prowess. Forming the bulk of the army are the Ribauld, lower class rabble that served as light infantry.

If Alexander can unite the islands with mainland Scotland, perhaps he could finally face the English on equal terms and create a united kingdom of Britain. Before he can challenge the might of the Plantagenets, he first needs to subdue the Lordship of the Isles and the Earldom of Orkney, either through diplomacy or force of arms…

The Characters

The Banners

Scottish Lowland Armies
    Familiers
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Familiers are the bodyguards of important royal and noble Scottish figures. Loyal until death, these men proudly wear the royal coat of arms and are heavily equipped. These men are also mounted on heavy war horses, enabling them to protect their lord from any threats and repel any attackers.

Chevalers d'Escoce

The Chevalers d’Escoce are members of the warrior class in the European Middle Ages who have come from the aristocracy of Scotland. Each knight has made a vow of servitude to their lord or to their sovereign and has become a vassal of this lord. These knights formed the core of heavy cavalry in most European kingdoms until military reforms that created national standing armies were made in the late Middle Ages. They have access to the best and latest equipment for their era. Their main role is to charge through enemy ranks. Feudalism is relatively new to Scotland, being recently influenced by the Normans and by France. While Lowland Scotland adopted feudalism, King David’s attempts to bring feudalism to the Highlands ultimately proved fruitless. However, as time wore on,
    feudalism grew in strength in Scotland, and her knights would eventually be comparable to those of England.

Serjeants

The introduction of the feudalism in Scotland also brought to raise professional soldiers coming from minor nobilities. When summoned by the king, the Serjeants act as good cavalry/infantry.

Chevalcherie des Bordures

Border horsemen were raiders along the Anglo–Scottish border from the late 13th century to the beginning of the 17th century. Their ranks consisted of both Scottish and English families, and they raided the entire border country without regard for their victims'
    nationality. Their heyday was in the last hundred years of their existence, during the time of the Stuart Kings in Scotland and the Tudor Dynasty in England which were known as Border Rievers.

Telderons de Brameam

At the end of the 13th century, Robert the Bruce created a highly trained unit of pikemen. These men were well trained, better equipped than their lesser counterparts, and were able to wield 15 foot pikes. While the schiltron formation proved to be a very effective defensive formation for the countering of enemy cavalry, these soldiers fought in a phalanx like formation instead, balancing between offense and defense.

Geldons de Schiltrom

The Geldons de Schiltrom are conscripted Scots that form the major part of the Scottish Common Armies. Using a spear weapon of 12 to 15 feet long to counter cavalry, the Scots Geldons were trained to do a circular defensive formation called Schiltrom. Literally forming a porcupine like circle, the spearmen were able to repel English cavalry however, in many battles between Scotland and England, this formation was proved to be useless in open field where English archers decimate the light armoured but slow moving soldiers.

Geldes de Gisarme

Having the lack of resources as well made of commoners, the Scotland armies had to counter their English armoured foes by other means. Converting agricultural tools into weapons, the rise of polearm weapons later known as the Lochaber axe will give an extra tool for the Scots. Wearing the typical gambeson and using this new weapon, the Geldes de Gisarme, if well used, can deal tremendous damage to armoured and cavalry units.

Gaisgeach na Gallobha

Galloway was isolated from the more populated regions. Surrounded by mountains, the Norman culture didn’t really affect the Gallovidians; the Brythonic/Celtic culture was strongly present in these lands. Even then, the Gallovidians were fearsome warriors, having a dreadful reputation of been heartless savages. It is said one of their favourite sport was head hunting. Their presence on the battlefield, even without any body protection, could still shake the bravest men.

Archers d'Ettrick

Scotland wasn’t prone on archery however the bow was not ignored, coming from the royal forests of Selkirk and Ettrick which archery was quite present due to hunting, the Ettrick Archers were potent ambushers, using their hunting skills to hunt men instead of animals. Wearing clothes that fit with forest environment, the Ettrick Archers are excellent in hiding in woods, waiting patiently to shoot foes in close range to maximise the damage.

Ribaulds

The Ribaulds, often called rabbles, are from the lowest society of Scotland. Levied by the Scottish lords, these men are unarmoured, using what they could find as weapons. Accordingly to many chroniclers, the Ribaulds, even with their crude equipment, proved to be quite effective infantry by their impetuous behaviours against English foes.

The Spotlight Section
    Lord Hamilton: Unit Modeler, Unit Texturer, 2D Eye Candies, Researches. [Click Here to Rep]
    Polycarpe: Researches, Integration, Preview and Team Management.[Click Here to Rep]
    Robert Guiscard: Researches, faction description. [Click Here to Rep]

Additional Information
    Credits are listed in this thread.
    Thank you for your time, if you want, you could browse into our forum for giving feedbacks, discussing or helping out, the more help we have, the better it is.

Last edited by Polycarpe; May 23, 2012 at 07:28 AM.

Chloe's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Citizen Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: [Preview] Kingdom of Scotland

Quite impressive!
    I want you all to know how beautiful you are. No body--and nobody--can ever change that fact, and no mirror will ever be able to truly reflect it. The world is a better place with you in it.
    I used to be Legio.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE?!
    Content Staff Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

They look better in-game.
    Still stunning preview.

Wallachian's Avatar Equites Cohortales
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Excellent work +rep!

dukewilliam's Avatar Sukauto
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Amazing! +rep
    when i can again...
    im all out

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I was wondering when the Scotland preview would come since you guys mentioned it awhile back. Great work you guys!
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Kjertesvein's Avatar Gaming Staff Tribune
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Premiere work! Rep for all of you! As much as you can carry

~Wille
    Featured links:
    Gaming

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLk0vqad8dXss0QGwCHTRxg
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9U_UPJLasfZYZ0icNI0vBg
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AveunUK?feature=watch

Philosophy
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRiQGCHGjDLT9FQXFW0I3A
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC3L8QaxqEGUiBC252GHy3w
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc_xdkOBgSYLmXTn-VSQ4uA

History
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9pgQfOXRsp4UKrI8q0zjXQ

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Tierd of playing on your own? Send me a PM when I'm online.

I have mic.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Good job team!!

Let me repeat this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Poly
    The Spotlight Section
    Lord Hamilton: Unit Modeler, Unit Texturer, 2D Eye Candies, Researches. [Click Here to Rep]
    Polycarpe: Researches, Integration, Preview and Team Management.[Click Here to Rep]
    Robert Guiscard: Researches, faction description. [Click Here to Rep]

They all have done great work the last few weeks/months to complete the faction for you

Arandir Tur-Anion's Avatar I Telda Tingilindenna
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great job. I really like the atmosphere of this mod, and the high level of details of the units.
    Mundus Bellicus : the french total war forum
    Diarum Strategorum : L'actualité des Totals War et de leurs mods en français
    Other mods

Cornicularius
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great stuff looking forward to this mod, but the french unit names for the Scottish seems a little weird at least for the regular units. Would the Scottish use French in court? I thought they would have still used gaelic and old northumberland english.

Dearg Doom's Avatar Aquilifer
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

This is really really great, well done guys well done

Robert Guiscard's Avatar Miles
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cornwallis View Post
    Great stuff looking forward to this mod, but the french unit names for the Scottish seems a little weird at least for the regular units. Would the Scottish use French in court? I thought they would have still used gaelic and old northumberland english.
    Lowland Scotland was much more Anglo-Norman in nature than the highlands, Wales, and Ireland. Because the aristocracy was composed of Normans, Norman French was the language used by the royal courts

Sic nos sic sacra tuemur

TMK's Avatar BC Local Moderator
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Excellent Work!!!! + rep to all!

stevehoos's Avatar Princeps Posterior
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

These are Great, good gosh amazing!!! Just wondering where the blue face paint went, we are trying to keep things historically accurate right?
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

GatorMarine1833's Avatar Hastatas Posterior
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Looking amazing as always! Each preview makes me want this mod look even better.

This may be the first Historical mod in which I'll have a hard time deciding which faction to play, they all look so beautiful!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Gaming Staff Tribune
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Those axes look ready for chopping-duty!

~Wille
    Featured links:
    Gaming

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLk0vqad8dXss0QGwCHTRxg
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9U_UPJLasfZYZ0icNI0vBg
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AveunUK?feature=watch

Philosophy
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRiQGCHGjDLT9FQXFW0I3A
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC3L8QaxqEGUiBC252GHy3w
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc_xdkOBgSYLmXTn-VSQ4uA

History
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9pgQfOXRsp4UKrI8q0zjXQ

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Tierd of playing on your own? Send me a PM when I'm online.

I have mic.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Equites
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well done, lads! Fàilte gu Alba!

19 May 2012
    Hibernian 1-5 Heart of Midlothian

''Of all the small nations of this earth, perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind.''

stevehoos's Avatar Princeps Posterior
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Stop thinking about when this mod is released Stop thinking about when this mod is released Stop thinking about when this mod is released
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Nice preview + rep

David93's Avatar Shiny
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    Well done, lads! Fàilte gu Alba!
    Erin agus Alba go bragh

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information