Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Looting from the Dead

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Looting from the Dead

Quote Originally Posted by John F. Kennedy View Post
    You can just swallow the M rating.
    Precisely. Many games even sell more this way. Certainly a lot of mature stuff could even be incorporated and not even hit the rating. I was going to go into a lot more but this sums it up basically.

hochmeister devin's Avatar Senator

If your so concerned about the M rating, buy a FPS game go online and talk to the other players. I bet you $90,000 that there mostly kids under M category age, because very few people even care about that. Actually I imagine most TW players are old enough to buy it by them selves and then T or M rating doesn't matter. I've asked my friends to try this game and there all like, IT HURTS ME BRAIN TO THINK THAT MUCH!!!!!11111!!!! (my friends aren't that stupid) yet they still get there parents to buy every cod or halo that comes out and those are M rated.
    Last edited by hochmeister devin; May 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
    My mods
    -Mod Leader for the Wheel Of Time This is not the beginning, but it is a beginning
    -Mod Leader for Shogun 2: Foreign Invasion if you want a mod with alot of units this is for you, not only is there the 40 units CA made theres planned to be atleast 177 NEW units when its done.
    -Modder in the World War I and Shogun II project. The only full scale mod for FOTS and it plays nothing like FOTS. FOTS may have Gatling guns, WW1&S2 has tekidanto samurai, SNLF, MGs, kisho snipers, assault infantry(shotguns) just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by hochmeister devin View Post
    If your so concerned about the M rating, buy a FPS game go online and talk to the other players. I bet you $90,000 that there mostly kids under M category age, because very few people even care about that. Actually I imagine most TW players are old enough to buy it by them selves and then T or M rating doesn't matter. I've asked my friends to try this game and there all like, IT HURTS ME BRAIN TO THINK THAT MUCH!!!!!11111!!!! (my friends aren't that stupid) yet they still get there parents to buy every cod or halo that comes out and those are M rated.
    This too. I have L4D and that`s an 18 rated game. i can categorically say that people under 18 were playing that game when I was there especially on release and months after. In fact, some of them were as young as, I would guess, 10!

Not that I`m saying underage kids should play overage games, but it`s a bit strange to make out that this is the reason why TW isn`t more adult.

Perhaps Craig doesn`t play L4D, but I know some of CA do or did, so CA knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    That's because of game ratings, primarily. There are very clear guidelines on what we can and can't do.
    The ESRB M/ PEGI 18 ratings don't scare off the younger market
    If that was the case, Call of Duty would lose all those lovely children who know more swears than I do aka half their sales

I would be fine if Total War was mature, as you really are selling to a mature audience
    Sweat Saves Blood
    -Erwin Rommel

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    This too. I have L4D and that`s an 18 rated game.
    Say what?? You are underage?? I always pictured you in my mind as a guy in it's forties or more (even retired) living in the suburban area of London or something along those lines...

No.. now I understand you post... you are talking about the others online gamers...

This rating thing is more about a way for parents that pretend to care fell good about themselves for buying "appropriate" rated game for their children... those are same hypocritical guys that would make petitions, march, strike or do anything not practical but time consuming to "protect" their children from a tv show, but never consider to sit down, share some time with their kids and simply turn of the tv for a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyTh3Man
    I would be fine if Total War was mature, as you really are selling to a mature audience
    That's true. Most of those toddlers doesn't have either the patience or cognitive reasoning to play a strategy game beyond a click fest and zerg rush, aka actually using strategy and tactics.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; May 24, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Say what?? You are underage?? I always pictured you in my mind as a guy in it's forties or more (even retired) living in the suburban area of London or something along those lines...

No.. now I understand you post... you are talking about the others online gamers... .
    Me forties? Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    This rating thing is more about a way for parents that pretend to care fell good about themselves for buying "appropriate" rated game for their children... those are same hypocritical guys that would make petitions, march, strike or do anything not practical but time consuming to "protect" their children from a tv show, but never consider to sit down, share some time with their kids and simply turn of the tv for a couple of hours.
    Absolutely agree with you... and not to be afraid that the kid will whine because you turned off the TV\deprived them of their above age game. In fact a good parent won`t need to worry about a game rating, but simply judge its suitability by viewing it a while. I highlight the key bit that many parents just can`t be bothered to do. It`s sad, really. It`s down to the parents. I would rep you, but can`t.
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; May 24, 2012 at 02:17 PM.

However, I'd love to see much more systems implemented on the Campaign Map like logistics and looting.
    Last edited by The Dutch Devil; May 26, 2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Continuity

Did anyone see the latest episode of Game of Thrones? Now that was a battle. Gritty as anything, the cries of the dead haunting the battlefield and the bells of war ringing out, some brutal scenes. On another level also the talk of how the city would be sacked and what goes on, the rape, burning and looting to the extent that suicide is the only option. I know this level of complexity would be far too much for TW series, especially just for a siege, but I do think war is too glossy and airbrushed in TW games and believe it should be made truly hellish. At the very least there should be after siege options back like "execute populace/captives". Kids play COD which is rated 18 or whatever and I don't know how many kids actually play tw games tbh!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Red View Post
    Did anyone see the latest episode of Game of Thrones? Now that was a battle. Gritty as anything, the cries of the dead haunting the battlefield and the bells of war ringing out, some brutal scenes. On another level also the talk of how the city would be sacked and what goes on, the rape, burning and looting to the extent that suicide is the only option. I know this level of complexity would be far too much for TW series, especially just for a siege, but I do think war is too glossy and airbrushed in TW games and believe it should be made truly hellish. At the very least there should be after siege options back like "execute populace/captives". Kids play COD which is rated 18 or whatever and I don't know how many kids actually play tw games tbh!
    Heard a lot about it. Looking to watching it.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Out of all the years I have played TW the youngest player I have run into was 16 (he ended up join the clan I was in), so I don't think there are very many kids playing this game anyways. Yeah the Blackwater episode for Game of Thrones was epic, sucks there is only more episode left for season 2.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Im not even 16 yet, so you would be surprised.

It's not the age, really, that distinguishes Total War players. Rather, it's the level of maturity that, in general, we're able to maintain.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    Out of all the years I have played TW the youngest player I have run into was 16 (he ended up join the clan I was in), so I don't think there are very many kids playing this game anyways. Yeah the Blackwater episode for Game of Thrones was epic, sucks there is only more episode left for season 2.
    You would be very, very surprised. I was in a squad (around 20-30 age adults) and we had a member with us for 6 months before he admitted he was 14! We had no idea. That said, he was very adult for his age (and silent), but then I guess he was having too much funny being enlightened by our conversations.

Still, we had to more careful after that.

No, many underaged people who should not really be playing overaged games do.

I can't say this feature excites mostly because I don't see it adding much to the game. CA clearly wanted to avoid on the field weapon and armor upgrades so it's very unlikely they would impliment a feature that would bypass this design decision. While a cash provision actually furthers removes the game from any "realism" claim since replenishment currently doesn't cost a dime despite the fact that re-fitting damaged units should be quite costly. I do agree that I miss some of the prior TW features such as a prisoner counter which then could be released, ransomed, or executed. The best feature I could suggest is that it has always annoyed me that any enemy guns would not be recovered since the ability to produce a weapon has hardly been a limiting factor in warefare to their use.

As such a portion of any enemy muskets (say 1 for every 3 units killed) could be recovered and an existing unit in your army then converted (proportionally remaining unit size and all) into its musket equivalent. So a Katana Samurai becomes a Musket Samurai and a Yari Ashgarui becomes a Musket Ashgarui. The trade off being that the new units losses all existing experience levels and weapon/armor bonuses because it is a new weapon which the soldiers have had little time to train with.

As for the whole lack of maturity present in TW games, there are plenty of non-mature features, such as a supply system, I'd prefer to see implimented before TW starts moving down the dark, gritty road which is all the rage nowadays.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345