Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abolish the Speaker of the curia

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Abolish the Speaker of the curia

I ask TBN to refuse the position and anyone else granted it on the grounds that it is pointless and a conceit.

Rez made a compelling case.

Quote Originally Posted by rez
    Surely the most wonderful thing about being a civitate is that we ALL have an equally respected voice in the Curia?

Who would claim to be first among equals?

Truly I am a speaker of the Curia, just as the newest member, just as the oldest.

yet at the same time no one can deny the statesmanship of either tBP or TBN.
    Regardless of how influential one man may be - it is an utter disgrace to encourage the influence of a single man over the power of democracy.

The vote, the voice the responsibilty are equally ours. And we all use it in different ways. Who among you can speak for everyone's views all at once?

And why would you want to? The Curia and democracy as a theory thrives on the competition between different states of mind.

Having one man speak for all eliminates that.

If at one point this rank was needed to keep order then fine. But right now i feel it both useless and an affront to all of our curial voices.
    Quote Originally Posted by general sun
    Do we get to vote on this? If this person speaks for the Curia, or is supposed to speak for the Curia, surely the Curia gets a say in who this person is!
    Why bother since it is just another fad that the curia has for titles and honours which are in essence pointless and conceited.

I haven't put this in the prothalomos since it is not something that was voted on or something that is decided on by the curia.

Peter

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Default Re: Abolish the Speaker of the curia

i'll second this suggestion, it seems a pointless rank to consider giving to anyone when Pro-Curator and Curator already exist. Its pretty obsolete
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

If it's not even a rank, how can it be abolished?

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

How can you abolish a rank that doesn't exist?

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Great minds think alike

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

It appears to exist because some people think it does, if it is abolished we dont have to ever hear about it again :laughing:
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Given that in effect its been merged with the Pro-Curator role by virtue a) of TBN holding and b) no-one caring about it, this thred is counterproductive. See also Val's post, which says the same damn thing.

"Why bother since it is just another fad that the curia has for titles and honours which are in essence pointless and conceited."

*cough*...you mean like the divus titles?

Leave the people their illusions and titles, it doesnt have anything to do with one man claiming authority over all the civitates, I see it as a tradition. But im not particularly pro or anti tradition, in fact I lean more towards anti, so if you guys think you should abolish it then go for it. Some people might want to keep their tradition though.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

So semantics lead us to wish to lose, the things that we've been given.

Of itself, the rank means nothing. It is not a rank. None consider it so.

Everyone realises it is no more than an honourary title bequathed by tBP and Tomyris. Thus why the complaint?

Semantics? Again, the words themselves. "Speaker of the Curia" I am undoubtably not. However, tBP and Tomyris have seen fit to give me the honour of a rank which is not that; not regarded as that; and will never be that. Again, I put it to you, that there is no issue.

For that reason I accept the honour. For the same reason I will not carry "Speaker of the Curia" in my signature, as doubtless, it would be inappropriate.

I ask TBN to refuse the position and anyone else granted it on the grounds that it is pointless and a conceit

I bolded that for all people who didn't read the first sentence and how to abolish it.

Edit: Exactly like the Divus titles BTW. I see no point in them either, they are another conceit and I voted against them and opifex. If people have so little self worth that they need titles to honour themselves (or it is a mutual fellatio concept) then I will not agree with it.

And yes it is semantics, but it is also pointless and I am against pointless things, meaningless things in the curia, meaningless votes, and meaningless overuse of commas, you see run on sentences occur.

Peter
    Last edited by Denny Crane!; June 22, 2006 at 05:48 PM.

I say keep it for the Curator, like all the pointless ranks in the British royal family. Or Kill it! I dont really care.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

I dont understand what reason is there for Speaker of CVRIA if he doesnt have actual power or isnt chosen by all CVRIA. Its not like we cant form our own opinions without Speaker of CVRIA, and bring them up for rest of CVRIA and staff.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    I ask TBN to refuse the position and anyone else granted it on the grounds that it is pointless and a conceit

I bolded that for all people who didn't read the first sentence and how to abolish it.

Edit: Exactly like the Divus titles BTW. I see no point in them either, they are another conceit and I voted against them and opifex. If people have so little self worth that they need titles to honour themselves (or it is a mutual fellatio concept) then I will not agree with it.

And yes it is semantics, but it is also pointless and I am against pointless things, meaningless things in the curia, meaningless votes, and meaningless overuse of commas, you see run on sentences occur.

Peter
    At least we see eye to eye with the divus thing. But I think Valentinian made an excellent point, it is all semantics isnt it? If the title was "Whipmaster of the Circus" instead of "Speaker of the Curia" would any of us care? The bottom line is that its a hollow position devoid of any meaning.

Devoid of any meaning, BESIDES nostalgia and tradition, which i admit holds meaning for a lot of people

Edit: Exactly like the Divus titles BTW. I see no point in them either, they are another conceit and I voted against them and opifex. If people have so little self worth that they need titles to honour themselves (or it is a mutual fellatio concept) then I will not object but not agree with it.
    The Curia voted in those titles.

I advise you to watch how you phrase your argument with things like "If people have so little self worth that they need titles to honour themselves", that is disrespectfull and if you feel that way maybe you should set example and take away the honour of civitates that was given to you. We made them Divus and so on, they did not make themselves.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius
    The Curia voted in those titles.

I advise you to watch how you phrase your argument with things like "If people have so little self worth that they need titles to honour themselves", that is disrespectfull and if you feel that way maybe you should set example and take away the honour of civitates that was given to you. We made them Divus and so on, they did not make themselves.
    Why?

They are of little worth, a civitate badge allows me to participate in a forum which influences the site. A divus badge does not, a quastor badge makes me a member of the sites governing body an opifex does not.

The site may have voted for the divus title but I voted against it, that is my right and I have the right to voice my opinion. Which I am doing.

The labour government was voted in by the British populace, should I not criticise them because they are voted for?

Seriously what?

Peter

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Just an idea, so don't shot me, but i kind of like the idea of having an arbiter, perhaps it could be a floating title reserved for times of strife and trouble, (arbiter probably not the right word). An appointed representative for the curia,(like holding the conch in lord of the flies). we could chose a member we hold in high reguard to enter the staff fora on such occasions as an impartial observer, and in such cases where a civ threatens to resign thier position or leave the site, the speaker would be there to advise and perhaps defuse any rash actions. i'm thinking especially where non dis-closure causes problems,

Someone like Oldgamer,Muizer(sp), or Omnipotent Q,(yes i know,but its not set in stone,and hes not dead).

Meh, probably a stupied idea, lets just carry on with the squabbling and self impossed exiles. :wink:

Edit;nuts!

Why?

They are of little worth, a civitate badge allows me to participate in a forum which influences the site. A divus badge does not, a quastor badge makes me a member of the sites governing body an opifex does not.

The site may have voted for the divus title but I voted against it, that is my right and I have the right to voice my opinion. Which I am doing.

The labour government was voted in by the British populace, should I not criticise them because they are voted for?

Seriously what?

Peter
    Whatever your political views you have no right to suggest that the people awarded the ranks have "little self worth ", so thats my main point.

Whatever your political views you have no right to suggest that the people awarded the ranks have "little self worth ", so thats my main point.
    Right ok thats was a bit harsh.

But just because the curia voted for something doesn't make it above criticism.

Edit: Thats what happens when the self righteous beer takes ahold of you

Peter

Attack the rank all you want, I'll disagree but thats not the point, dont attack the people holding it.

Attack the rank all you want, I'll disagree but thats not the point, dont attack the people holding it.
    Which I have said was a bit harsh, do you want me to repeat it again. I'll make another post if you like? A full blown written apology in its own thread?

I am against the idea of frivolous titles is all, ones with no purpose. I can point to many different, very good reasons to have a civitate badge I cannot do the same for many others amongst which divus and the one on topic is, especially the one on topic.

Peter
    Last edited by Denny Crane!; June 22, 2006 at 06:48 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast