Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hightower, Oldtown, Seat of House Hightower

jakev2's Avatar Primicerius

Default The Hightower, Oldtown, Seat of House Hightower

The Hightower, located in the centre of Oldtown, is as much a lighthouse for one of the largest ports in Westeros as it is a castle and stronghold for House Hightower. The tower is massive, and one of the tallest structures in Westeros. It sits on Battle Island, at the mouth of the Honeywine, and is accessible only by ship. Even if Oldtown is taken, the Hightower can hold out for many more months.

House Hightower
    History

House Hightower has existed since the Dawn of Days, and the times of the First Men. They were petty Kings in Oldtown, one of the few surviving settlements of the First Men. When the Andals arrived in Westeros, the Hightowers allied with the invaders, and when the Kingdom of the Reach was founded by Garth Greenhand of House Gardener, the Hightowers were allowed to keep their lands, money and powers as a major House.

Sometime between the arrival of the Andals and the Targaryen War of Conquest, the Starry Sept and the Citadel were built in Oldtown, under the patronage of House Hightower. The Starry Sept became the seat of the Faith of the Seven, until the construction of the Great Sept of Baelor. The Citadel became the home of the Order of Maesters, and has continued to be a home of learning and enlightenment to this day. House Hightower also remain major patrons of the Faith and the Order of Maesters.

During the War of Conquest, House Hightower and Oldtown survived yet another invasion. As the Targaryen forces and their dragons landed in Westeros, the High Septon locked himself inside the Starry Sept, and did not emerge until seven days of praying had passed. When he came out, he told Lord Hightower what the Gods had told him; If you take to the field, Oldtown and your House will burn. Heeding the prophecy of the High Septon, Lord Hightower stayed in Oldtown when the other Lords of the Reach followed King Mern into battle at the Field of Fire. It was a wise decision - King Mern and much of his army was burned by dragonflame, and the rule of House Gardener was over in the Reach. When Aegon the Conqueror arrived at Oldtown on dragonback, he found the gates to the city open, and he spared the city, allowing Lord Hightower to keep his powers and lands.

Gerold Hightower, uncle of the current Lord Hightower, was Lord Commander of King Aerys' Kingsguard. Also known as the White Bull, on account of his incredible strength, he was considered one of the greatest fighters of his generation, along with his fellow Kingsguard member Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of Morning, Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, and Robert Baratheon. He stayed loyal to the Targaryens until his death at the end of the War of the Usurper, at the Tower of Joy. Ser Gerold, along with two of his brothers, Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Oswell Whent, met Lord Eddard Stark and six of his companions in battle. The only survivors were Eddard himself and Howland Reed. To this day, Lord Hightower harbours a secret hatred of Eddard Stark for slaying his hero and uncle, the White Bull.

Residents:

Lord Leyton Hightower

Name: Lord Leyton Hightower

Titles: Voice of Oldtown, Lord of the Port, Defender of the Citadel, Beacon of the South

Also known as: The Old Man of Oldtown

Wife: Lady Rhea Hightower (née Florent)

Skills: Skill points: 26 (24 from age, 2 from regional bonus)

+5 income
    +5 siege rolls
    +3 field battle rolls
    +5 survival rolls
    +3 sea captain
    +2 duels
    +3 capture rolls

Items: None

Appearance: His age shows in the thick wrinkles on his face and his long, wiry white hair. However, it is said he still stands tall and strong, and is showing no signs of weakness. Despite that, he has not descended from the Hightower in over a decade. His eyes are brown and kind.

Biography: Leyton Hightower, in his time, was a formidible warrior, and was unhorsed by Ser Barristan Selmy in a tourney at Storm's End, over 30 years ago. Like all Hightowers, he is a shrewd negotiator, loyal and stalwart, but cautious. He and his forces took part in the War of the Usurper, and were present at the Battle of the Trident and the Seige of Storm's End. Leyton tended to favour command of the Rearguard, whenever it was given to him by Mace Tyrell. However, he has not been seen outside of the Hightower in over a decade, and there are a few concerns over his health. He has had several children by the four wives he has had, including Alerie Hightower, wife of Mace Tyrell. It is said he still harbours a deep resentment of Eddard Stark, who took part in slaying his uncle Gerold Hightower.

List of Children:

By his first wife, a Royce: Ser Baelor Hightower, Alerie Hightower (wife of Mace Tyrell), Graygarth Hightower, Alysanne Hightower (wife of Arthur Ambrose), Lynesse Hightower (former wife of Jorah Mormont, wife of Tregar Ormollen), two other boys who died as children

By his second wife, a Lefford: Alynna Hightower (wife of Elbert Arryn)

By his third wife, an Oakheart: Madelen Hightower

By his fourth wife, Rhea Florent: None

Lady Rhea Hightower (Née Florent)

Name: Lady Rhea Hightower

Titles: Lady of the Port, Lady of the Hightower

Husband: Lord Leyton Hightower

Skills: Skill Points: 14 (12 from age, 2 from regional bonus)

+2 capture rolls
    +2 escape rolls
    +3 birth rolls

Items: none

Appearance: A tall and slim woman, she suffers from the large Florent ears and pale eyes, though she is more comely than many of her sisters and cousins.

Biography: Daughter of Alester Florent, Lord of Brightwater Keep. Rhea is the fourth wife of Leyton Hightower, but is yet to give him any children. She is often cold to his other children.

Ser Baelor Hightower

Name: Ser Baelor Hightower

Titles: Heir of House Hightower

Also known as: Baelor Brightsmile, Baelor Breakwind

Wife: Rhonda Hightower (Née Rowan)

Skills: Skill points: 16 (14 from age, 2 from regional bonus)

+4 jousting (+3 from skill points, +1 from placing in quarter finals of The Storm Caller's Tourney, 297 AL)
    +2 duels
    +2 survival rolls
    +3 income
    +3 seige battle rolls
    +2 field battle rolls
    +1 sea captain

Appearance: Tall and handsome, with wavy, medium length brown hair, streaked with grey, and kind brown eyes.

Biography: Baelor is the first son of Lord Leyton Hightower and the heir to his house. He earned his colours as a knight during the War of the Usurper, where he fought on the Trident. He is also the captain of Honor of Oldtown, the four-decked warship that is the flagship of the Oldtown fleet. Elia Martell and Oberyn Martell met Baelor Hightower on their way to Casterly Rock. Elia initally fancied him, but Oberyn mocks him to this day as "Baelor Breakwind" after he passed gas in their presence.

List of children:

By his wife, Rhonda Rowan: Two boys, Keran and Jon Hightower.

Ser Graygarth Hightower

Name: Ser Graygarth Hightower

Titles: None

Also known as: Graygarth One-arm, The Crippled Blade

Wife: None

Skills: Skill points: 14 (12 from age, 2 from regional bonus)

+3 duels
    +3 survival rolls
    +2 seige battle rolls
    +3 field battle rolls
    +1 fate
    +2 Assassinations

Appearance: Tall like his brother, but with unkempt long raven hair and piercing green eyes. His face is almost always a stony mask or bitter sneer. He wears a cape over the left side of his body to disguise his missing arm.

Biography: Graygarth is the fourth son of Leyton Hightower, but only the second to survive to adulthood. He was a bright, handsome lad, like his brother, and he revered his great uncle, Gerold Hightower, like a god. But all that changed at the Trident. At merely eighteen years of age, and a newly annointed knight, Graygarth was thrown from his destrier in the fighting, and the horse collapsed onto his outsretched left arm, crushing it beneath its dead weight. Graygarth lay there, screaming in pain, for ten hours as the fighting moved across the battlefield away from him and the corpses strewn about him. By the time the victorious rebel forces found him, he was unconscious. They quickly identified him as a Hightower by the sigil on his breast, and took him captive. He awoke three days later, with his left arm missing. His jailors told him the maeters could not heal it, and it had to be amputated to prevent rot from setting in. He was treated well, but when he was returned to his father at the end of the war, he was a different man. His smiles turned to grimaces, and his laughter became a horrible croak. He quickly donned his signature cloak over the left side of his body, and proved on the training fields that more changes had taken place. He fought with a stunning ferocity, using a single slim blade in his right hand, and tore through opponents with years more experience and one more limb. He has continued to serve House Hightower as a Sworn Sword, but has refused to take a wife.

His disability has forced him to create an entirely unique style of fighting. He only has one arm, so he cannot use a shield or a greatsword, making blocking very difficult. As a result, he has to rely on dodging and parrying, moving quickly despite his large frame. He has to wear only chainmail - plate would slow him down too much. He has great balance and speed, and uses a blade similar to that used by Water Dancers, but wider and stronger castle-forged steel, allowing him to use the flat of the blade to deflect blows more easily.

Keran Hightower

Name: Keran Hightower

Wife: None

Skills: Skill points: 6 (4 from age, 2 from regional bonus)

+1 duels
    +1 survival rolls
    +1 seige battle rolls
    +1 field battle rolls
    +1 archer
    +1 income

Appearance: A young man of medium height, with soft eyes set into a handsome face, despite an unfortunate hooked nose. His hair is short and brown.

Biography: Keran Hightower is the eldest son of Baelor Hightower and Rhonda Rowan. He is yet to show particular promise in any one field, though he has a good head for maths as well as tactics, and a strong arm. His admiration for the great figures of his house is boundless, particularly for Ser Gerold Hightower. He is very confident in his abilities, despite becoming a squire for Elbert Arryn at the late age of seventeen.

Madelen Hightower

Name: Madelen Hightower

Husband: None

Skills: Skill points: 6 (4 from age, 2 from regional bonus)

+1 birth rolls
    +1 survival rolls
    +1 income
    +1 escape rolls
    +1 capture
    +1 loyalty

Appearance: A fairly pretty, but shy girl. Her hair is a reddish-brown, and she has a small, tight mouth.

Biography: Madelen is Leyton Hightower's daughter by his third wife. She loves to play with her older nephew, Keran, and the two are often schooled together as she is exceedingly bright for her age. She would make an excellent lady, as administrator of a house, and Lord Leyton is looking for a house for her to marry into.

Any seeking an audience with Lord Hightower or another of his House should come here.
    Last edited by jakev2; June 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
    House Tully, Lords Paramount of the Trident in A Game of Thrones RPG

Default Re: The Hightower, Oldtown, Seat of House Hightower

All characters now up.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Lord Jon Arryn arrives at the castle with some trusted men.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

As Lord Arryn comes into Oldtown, he is directed to a ferry at the side of the Honeywine. In the middle of the river, he can see Battle Island, and the Hightower, tall and proud. A pair of the Oldtown City Guard come towards him and his retinue. One of them steps in front of the other, and glances at the banners.

"Lord Arryn, is it? Welcome to Oldtown. I expect you'll be wanting to cross to the Hightower." He casts a critical eye at Arryn's men. "Well, there ain't much room on the boat. I reckon we could fit you all in, at a squeeze, but you'd best be leaving a couple of men behind. Apologies, mi'lord, but the proper boat we normally use is in the drydock. Stiff wind came up while it was crossing, and it hit the rocks." He gestures over his shoulder with his thumb, at the small boat on the pier. A man with huge biceps, presumably the rower, stands at the end of the pier, leaning against a gambling table and chewing on some sourleaf. "This piece of junk isn't much more than a fishing boat."

"It will do, thank you. I will leave all if my men except one ashore then." The three men walked over to the boat.

The man nods. "Mi'lord."

After a short, uneventful trip across the river, Lord Arryn and his entourage make it to Battle Island, the Hightower looming above them, it's great beacon unlit in the midday sun. As they approach the great open wood and iron gates, a slim woman steps forward, and curtseys before them. Large, Florent ears stick our from her flowing black hair.

"Greetings Lord Arryn. I am Lady Rhea Hightower. My husband is waiting for you in the upper chambers. I must warn you, it is a long climb. It has been said that the greatest defense of the Hightower is its stairs."

"Let's storm the tower then." Jon said.

She smiles at the quip. "Even a seasoned general may exhaust all his efforts trying to break our fortress. We shall see how you fare."

She turns and leads Jon Arryn through the gates. Before them stands a circular wall, mimicking the structure of the tower, with a large wooden door set into it. They instead turn left, where the start of the stairs meets them. As they ascend, it becomes clear that The Hightower seemingly has a tower within itself, seperated from the outer walls by the huge spiral staircase - the circular walls continue up as they circle the building. The inner tower is made up of all the things you would expect in a castle - kitchens, sleeping quarters, a small barracks, and a dining hall which is several floors high - each on their own storey of the building. The only thing connecting them all is the spiral staircase.

After what seems like an age, they reach the second floor from the top of the tower, the stairs continuing on only to the great beacon above. There is no inner tower here, only one great, round room, with huge windows all around the circumference giving stunning views of the city. The room is bare, except for a lone chair in the centre of the room, on a raised platform, facing the new arrivals. In it sits a lone figure.

"Approach, Lord Arryn." The voice booms across the room like a thunderclap, partly down to the echo of such an empty room.

Lord Arryn, quite tired, walks further into the room. "My Lord" he says. "How fare you?"

Lord Leyton Hightower stirs in his chair. He seems to be wearing thick furs, but appart from appearing tired and old, he seems well.

"I am fine, Lord Arryn, despite the rumours. It is true, I have not left the Hightower in a decade, but my health is good, I am not cavorting with a swamp witch, and my sanity remains perfectly intact." He points a thick finger at Lord Arryn. "Don't believe everything you hear. I spend my days up here because I find people so...tiresome. I have all I need. The city continues beneath me, and I can watch the ships come and go. I still broker deals, look through business ledgers, whatever I need to do, but all from the Hightower. I have my wife, my children, good food, and plenty of wine and money. What else could a man need?" He clears his throat. "Still, enough about me. Why are you here, Jon?"

"About your children. My nephew, Elbert Arryn, is still unmarried. I believe your house is the perfect candidate to supply the bride. This would make the bond between the Hightower and the Vale so much stronger. I believe that's good."

Lord Leyton gets up out of his chair, and moves to the left of the room, standing by the window. He looks down at Oldtown benetah. his hands clasped behind his back. "An Arryn, eh? Well, that does sound interesting. I have a few daughters who might be suitable candidates. How old is this nephew of yours?"

"He has had his twentieth name day this year."

Leyton nods. "My fourth daughter, Alynna Hightower, may be a suitable match. She is eighteen. Not the brightest, but pretty enough."

"Yes, that will do. Shall we hold the wedding at the Eyrie?

Leyton frowns, with the look of a man who has just bitten into something sour. "The Eyrie is a cold place, and soulless. A formidible fortress, undoubtedly, but not ideal for a summer wedding. I would love to host the wedding here in Oldtown - we could hold the ceremony in the Starry Sept, and the feast in the Hightower. Of course, if you could suggest another suitable place within the Vale, I would gladly hear you out."

OOC: Leyton is meant to be blunt and borderline rude - this is a man who dislikes the pleasantries and courtesies between nobles so much he hasn't left his home in a decade.

"Fine, whatever. I see you are not very interested in gestures. What date do you have in mind?"

Leyton grunts in response. "In a few turns. That should give ample time for preparation, and I feel it is best not to put such things off for too long."

OOC: "Turn" is a phrase occasionally used in the books to refer to a cycle of the moon, roughly one month. Months don't appear to be used in Westeros in the same way as we use them.

Ooc: yup.
    IC: "I shall let Elbert know. I'll meet you again in three turns, yes?"

Leyton's eyes show hints of relief, as the conversation seems to be nearing its end. "Three turns it is. Send Elbert, or some other representative of your house, here in two, to ensure the plans are to your liking. Now, if there is nothing else..." He gestures at the stairs, with a smile.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast