Thread: Sea mines and minelayer boats and/or ships???

Default Sea mines and minelayer boats and/or ships???

After reading an article on naval battles of the russo-japanese war, i had the idea to include sea mines into the fots campain. I have absolutly no experience in modding and the only reason i originaly came to this forum was to download third age and darthmod. I hope this will not sound like if i was telling people with expirience what they should do. i`m just making a proposal. i ask if it is possible to fix the sea mines and sea mine animation from the flameboat kobaya, from the sengoku campain, into a cannon boat or kanku maru class korvette or kaiten class korvette from the fots campain, and thereby creating the new unit of a minelayer boat/ship.?
    i am fully aware that there probably never where any seamines involved in the boshin war and that the first purpose built minelayer war ship (the amur class minelayer of the imperial russian navy) was constructed in 1898, but on the other hand neighter were topedo boats, the hms warrior (wich in reality never saw any kind of conflict through it`s entire time in service), more than one ironclad, more than 3 gatling guns, foreign troops under japanese command or railroads (first railroad opend in japan in 1972, then only small track between tokiyo and yokohama) a part of the boshin war.
    still, sea mines had been used before, during the same timeperiod in other conflicts; and they later came to use in other japanese conflicts. It was in the Russo-japanese war of 1905 in wich they had proven themselves worth of being evective weapons in naval warfare. The japanese aswell as the russians laid mines at a extensive rate (50 mine minefield laid off the entrance of port arthur by one single russian minelayer Amur). I am aware that new features on the campain map such as, minefields in small straits (between islands honshu, kyushu, hokkaido and Shikoku) or the blocking of harbors with mine fields will not be possible.
    but a small minelayer boat or bigger minelayer ship would certenly add a bit more tactical options and thereby fun to naval battles. (the planting of minefields in harbor battles to force enemy ships directly into the costal batteries line of fire, the blocking of routs in battles on maps with islands forcing the enemy to take a specific route or planting minefields making it impossible for the enemy to outflank your navy).
    (in game) The destructive power of such a mine would have to be greatly improved in comaprison to the destructive force of mines in the sengoku campain, since almoust all references i found on actual early naval mining tell the same story of the hit ship being unable to continue service without repairs, sinking while being brought to repairs or being repaired, or sinking within minutes due to the enormous damage done to the hull and in most cases taking most of the crew down with it.
    Source:

of course (in game) such a minelayer would also be more vulnerable to being in the line of fire, considering the explosive cargo.
    And the reason i propose to use korvette ship models being used besides the cannon ship model is due to the size of some minelayers, and the fact that one could lay a minefield consisting of up to 50 mines. of course (in game) 50 mines would be to much for one ship to carry since it would make it to powerfull.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    so in conclusion, i propose:
    a minelayer boat using cannonboat boat model with 8 mines stored, very vulnerable to being bombarded and the mines being very powerfull, with a limited numer of recruteable units.
    And a minlayer ship using a korvette class ship model with up to 20 mines stored not as vulnerable to being bombarded as the minelayer boat but still more vulnerable as other korvette class ships and the mines being very powerfull with a limited numer on recruteable units.

since i dont have the skills to do this. i hope someone picks up the idea here and puts it into practise, in which case i already thank you now.

If this turns out to be impossible to make, this thread will at least show others with same idea.

and somehow i cant help but ask why CA didn`t include them in the first place???

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default Re: Sea mines and minelayer boats and/or ships???

...currently experimenting with it on Naval Unit Pack... Wait...

It Works.
    Last edited by weirdoascensor; May 18, 2012 at 07:02 AM.

Yep, you can simply reenable the skill from the Sengoku firebomb ships. Adding it to a new minelayer ship (copy) should be pretty straightforward too.

Indefinitely Banned

No, minelaying is not an ability like the ability of other units.

And sengoku mines should not be used for boshin era ships, too weak. I need to make a more powerful mine.

It's one of the deployment abilities, like stakes/shields/earthworks, as I recall?

Quote Originally Posted by Livebyte View Post
    It's one of the deployment abilities, like stakes/shields/earthworks, as I recall?
    If I remember correctly, the way you add mines is by adding a larger number to a ship at the end of the Naval Unit table in the PFM.

As was earlier stated it's too weak. I think you can boost the power of the mine using the projectiles table or something... he's probably figured it out by now...

Indefinitely Banned

It Still Not Works... I Dont get it... Why don't The Mine Change...

Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    It Still Not Works... I Dont get it... Why don't The Mine Change...
    don't think its supposed to look different...

If you want the mines to pack more punch you need to increase the distance and damage of the mines in the projectile tables(I think)

Indefinitely Banned

don't think its supposed to look different...

If you want the mines to pack more punch you need to increase the distance and damage of the mines in the projectile tables(I think)
    I said "Why not the mine change" is because it supposed to drop boshin_naval_mine which has different projectile model. It goes without saying that i've set the damage to 4000.

But the ships still drop naval_mine used by Sengoku era Kobaya which dont make any dent at all against Armored Ships (200 dmg).

In Short, I Want Different Mine For Different Eras. Sure, i could set the damage of naval_mine incredibly high... but seeing 1500s mines sink Caravels or Even Steamships Is Not Amusing...

boshin_naval_mine which has different projectile model
    bayonet models, napoleonic artillery models, naval mine models?????!

what else will there be found to be left out?

@weirdoascensor
    i`m happy to see that u picked it up.
    + rep
    "They didn`t have flat tops in ancient Rome!!!"

Ralphie Cifaretto, the Sopranos, season 3, "university" episode