Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: RS 2.6 - Post Your New Empire

Default Re: RS 2.5 - Post Your New Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    How...nice. On my Cimbrii campaign, my heir, a promising young warrior was hacking his way through avernii stacks. His trait list was good so far, when all of a sudden BAM! the king dies, he becomes warchief and gets the minor recession trait, which a few turns later turns into economic depression.......

Edit: It's a major depression now.
    I've experienced that quite a bit, especially when generals are in the field.
    Fixing it is rather easy though, just have whatever general with said trait become a governor in a settlement for a few turns, works like a charm.
    .. That's granted you don't have a major depression.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Du Silence View Post
    I've experienced that quite a bit, especially when generals are in the field.
    Fixing it is rather easy though, just have whatever general with said trait become a governor in a settlement for a few turns, works like a charm.
    .. That's granted you don't have a major depression.
    He was indeed in the field since i wanted to make him a great general, but all of sudden the faction leader died and he became king and got the minor recession, followed by economic recession and then the major one. He was still in the field and the trait went away.

Domesticus

My Cimbrii campaign in Hard/Hard

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well this is going to be hell.

Right now im at war with the Avernii and Belgae and soon Rome as these dogs are starting to amass troops near my borders and out of all bloody things, early imperial legions.

I was only at war with the Avernii and the Boii, with the Belgae merely acting as spectators with their 3 stacks near my northwestern border.

The Boii put up a hell of a fight agaisnt my secondary army (the one on the pic) and killed a lot of my men in one and only major battle we had. Their capital which my FL had taken with the main army was besieged by another major force and that army was already in half strength. Yet i managed to outmaneuver them and, with the help of a spy, took their southern and only town thus destroying the Boii completely.

After that i took both my depleted armies back to central europe, where basicly i only have 1 city with the highest lvl barracks, for retrainment.

I left the last Boii town i took to rebel, but when it was still in my hands the Romans had already marched north to take it, thankfully it rebelled and i managed to delay war a bit longer.

Now the Belgae attacked in the Northwest, the Avernii keep attacking the west/southwest and there's Romans both in the west and east and i only have 2 armies to deal with all of this and the economy probably can't take a 3rd force.

Hell indeed.

@mishkin My campaign is H/H 1 Turn

@Grimbold I look forward to seeing how you deal with such a difficult situation. Can you post a couple more screenshots next time? What does your main army look like?

Also, it looks like you have changed some of the faction colours. As far as i can tell Sparta = Red, Ptolemaics = Gold, Gallaeci = Light Green and Dacia = Dark Blue?

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

currently playing the Ptolemais... very relaxing!

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by dibbles View Post
    @mishkin My campaign is H/H 1 Turn

@Grimbold I look forward to seeing how you deal with such a difficult situation. Can you post a couple more screenshots next time? What does your main army look like?

Also, it looks like you have changed some of the faction colours. As far as i can tell Sparta = Red, Ptolemaics = Gold, Gallaeci = Light Green and Dacia = Dark Blue?
    The hellish situation didn't last as long as i expected. In the northwest, the 3 Belgae stacks were horrible, in the sense that they weren't proper armies per say, just levies and lower quality units bunched together, so those were 3 auto resolved battles.
    Consequently i expelled the belgae from their holdings in Gaul, so i control that part now. The army script or whatever is making proper belgae spawn near their major fortress in Gaul, but there are not match for my 2nd army, which is more experienced now.

The Avernii aren't sending proper armies either, hell, they aren't even sending full stacks anymore.

This gave me some breathing space and any enemy force attacking said borders is being repelled by a small force of volcae axemen i put together quickly.

In the east, the romans keep sending legions, attacking Noreia and the former Boii capital, but my main army is, to my surprise, defeating them with some ease.

This is the main army about to fight a roman legion

The western border with those 3 Belgae cities in the corner under my control

Edit: And yes Dibbles, i changed some of the faction colors which i didn't like, specially the turquoise from the Boii...ugh horrible. Both the Boii and the Gallaeci have olive green tones, Dacia's color changed when i altered Pergamon's color and i didn't think pink suited the Ptolemaics.
    Last edited by Grimbold; July 08, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Just a quick tip that might be useful :when i play Cimbri,when i get to fight the romans i put in my armies 4 units of Heavy teutones axeman and more spearman instead of any swordsman .This way i can hold the roman line while warcry +charging the dogs from the flanks with axeman and cavalry from the back

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeBG View Post
    Just a quick tip that might be useful :when i play Cimbri,when i get to fight the romans i put in my armies 4 units of Heavy teutones axeman and more spearman instead of any swordsman .This way i can hold the roman line while warcry +charging the dogs from the flanks with axeman and cavalry from the back
    Thanks for the tip, but im not a big fan of using of units which hardly have any armor, specially with romans.

Thing that annoys me most when fighting romans is that even when you have your army setup directly in front of their units, their damned pillum attack still inflicts considerable casualties.

I do this when fighting Macedon or Greece since they have the Hoplites. I usually either have 2 or 3 Triarii in spear formation go against the front of the Hoplites and then swing the Cohorts around from the back to throw their spears and then charge. Its fun.

The Great War Mod for NTW!

Domesticus

Just fought the first lorica segmentata legion, outnumbered. What thought it was going to be my main army being wiped out, ended up being an heroic victory

Artifex

played Dacians wonderful blitz, tried the Ptolies too quiet, too relaxing, at first I liked it but hmmm, not my style, turtle... now playing the Free Greeks! love them! it's like they're the perfect victim! and you know what they said on Discovery... the hunter can become hunted! I mean I like action, being attacked, betrayed... I want revenge, with the Ptolies all offered alliance, never trespassed... I want revenge, reason for starting a blitz! anyway for instance I love the variety of units in Greece... I mean in Boetia, Achaia, Sparta, Athens all in such a small place and you have such great variety! wonderful... not to mention Macedon north is again totally different... oh and love the fact that you can recruit Scythians in Nicomedia as it was in fact, Scythians migrating from Thrace and Scythia Minor there, well in Pontus too... Thracians in Bosporus, because the rulers were of Thracian origin, the Syracusans, Massalians... I mean wow!!! everyone said man it's nice to play the Free but I used to say... hmmm rebels but no, wonderful, artificial but league like so it can be considered an alliance of free cities... trade league... anyway I love that Anatolia is a gathering place... smth like hey man we are warriors and there is always war so let's get movin'!!!! like a tournament of best warriors!

Edit: oh playing at vh, vh btw... and about Ptolies not a single unit with rectangular shield like in this how is it called...

or at least square ones like in Sekunda... oh and where are the Tarentines!? Late Romanized troops!? Gabiniani could have been represented as well... anyway Machimoi again as phalangites that got a place in the empire, and proved their role in Raphia... Celtic, Thracian Klerouchoi, Achaian Misthophoroi, Aetolian generals... Lybian cavalry... Arabian smth, Judean!!! where are the Judeans!? all in one factions have been a lot improved! RSII has evolved very well and if at first I always put "-" in Bob Doad's game for Armenians and Pontians now I changed my mind, they are better! all are, factions have been balanced! Ptolies are better too with those Galatians I mean... They have Thracian, Lybian units too so... they are good but could be better... more historical accurate... maybe in next release because I'm sure that even after R2TW, RSII will still be highly prized! and fans can do that too, because I see that they got involved and started to help, once they saw the result of 2 years of work from tone, dvk and the others but better late then never! as for me the ever critic!
    Last edited by Visarion; July 09, 2012 at 04:22 AM.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Just butchered 3 stacks of arverni with my main Cimbri army and FL with tons of command ,when in the next turn an earthquake killed him and half of what was left of the army.....

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

@Grimbold In your main army you have none of the Cimbri champions? I forget what they're called but as far as i remember they are quite fearsome.

Artifex

Just butchered 3 stacks of arverni with my main Cimbri army and FL with tons of command ,when in the next turn an earthquake killed him and half of what was left of the army.....

playing the Free Greeks, conquered Sparta after 3-4 wars... hmmm lost Massalia, Rome betrayed... heavy fighting in Thrace, Bithynia... I will probably punish the Romans in Sicily for their betrayal with the Syracusans! can't wait to see the cav! many options there! oh love the wonderful selection of elite hoplites! Corinthian, Achaian, Theban, Athenian, Spartan, Syracusan, Bosporan, Massalian! wow! love those guys they fight to the very end! how can you not love them! what Hypaspists baaahhh! old hoplites rule! oh and the Boetian one has thureos shield... very accurate! I never though I will love this faction so much! I simply love it, honestly, very fun to play with and challenging too! oh btw Nicopolis is supposed to represent the Odrysians!? love this Greek chapters, like pages from a book of former colonies... I mean like watching small factions! the evolution of Greek colonies! nice! a maritime empire bound by trade and mercenaries... well Athens used a lot of mercenaries, Thracians, Scythians etc. so accurate and artificial but accurate trade league! the rebirth of colonialism! I like it!

Edit: and Greeks united when fighting against a common enemy like Persian invasion for instance or the Roman attack of Tarentum... when Phyrrus was given the rule of Tarentum, Croton, Locris, Syracuse etc... the Hellenized Oscans there joined him... so why not a what if they united against the Roman danger!? why not! they were sympathetic to the Macedonians and Seleucids when the Romans attacked, a lot of Spartans died then fighting to the last as well... Antiochus buried their bodies and honored them and the Macedonian king was convinced to join the cause of Hannibal, I mean Antiochus! but we all know the name of the instigator... so Greek empathy was still present... and it still is to this very day... ahm I am just trying to convince myself that it is historical but you know what even if it is a what if or artificial faction it is very well represented and deserved to be played! oh and we all know what happened during the wars between Athens and Sparta when all the Greek world was divided... I mean all colonies, no matter how far, took parts and were very interested by the result... hmm so home is home... and I am convinced that when Romans attacked Corinth if the Free Greeks united and provided cavalry the result would have been different... but we can change that! thx RSII!

Edit: they did unite but under Mithridates later on!
    Last edited by Visarion; July 09, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

@Visarion: Don´t you have a AAR? Looks like you love both playin and writting

Found something interesting. Apparently you are able to ally yourself with a certain faction of the Free People/Rebels. Like as Belgae in England, you are able to ally yourself and not be at war with them. I did it but am finding myself wanting to conquer the whole of England...

The Great War Mod for NTW!

Domesticus

There is one rebel faction with which you can make agreements as if it were any of the other "normal" factions, which is, well the faction named Rebels. It's with the Free people faction that you can't do anything (except bribes)

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    @Visarion: Don´t you have a AAR? Looks like you love both playin and writting

yes images make more then a thousand words... hmm maybe I'll post some...

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    currently playing the Ptolemais... very relaxing!
    It's probably the campaign with easiest early phase in the mod.

Carthaginians can't harass you because they're busy with the Gallaeci, which only leaves the Seleucids who have their own issues to deal with.

If you want to turtle, this is probably the most relaxing faction to do with it. Just strolling around, building up Egypt.

Domesticus

Well Visarion you made me start another Ptolemaic campaign.

Hard/Hard

The fall of Heraclea marks the end of Pergamon.

At war with the Greek City states, the Seleucid Empire and more recently. Sparta declaring war at me is another result of AI stupidity. They let the GCS take all of the western part of Greece which Sparta took from Macedon on the first place, they remain at war with GCS and thought it'd be a good idea to attack one of my ports

Perhaps i should land my armies in Greece and get rid of these annoying greeks or just march east for Pontus.