Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1136515253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1346

Thread: RS 2.6 - Post Your New Empire

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RS 2.6 - Post Your New Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    No they can't touch testudos or units that "form phalanx" regardless. Actually they can't really kill heavy units with big shields either, except from the side.
    Really? With that experience, they look like they could penetrate tanks.

As for horsemen, it's a matter of knowing how to protect your missile units, then you can put them to good use.
    No no no, they aren't supposed to be protected. Leaving 'em like that draws in the enemy heavy cavalry. Either set them on skirmish so they retreat and the heavy cavalry gets a face full of legionary with no charge bonus, or turn off skirmish so you can keep the enemy cavalry there while you flank 'em.
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

"We will either find a way or make one." -Hannibal Barca

Nah, the heavy cavalry will charge into hoplites, it's a matter of knowing how to get them to do it. They don't actually always charge, if you know what to do you can catch them anyway, because the AI isn't the greatest if you're pushing it rather than allowing it to set up good charge.

It's also easiest to kill them with slingers when they're stuck on hoplites. Legionaries don't get the fancy light_spear and spear_bonus 6.

By protect, I mean you can use sturdy hoplites to attract and pin infantry and horse, and then you shoot them to death. And slingers are very much best utilized to shoot people to death. Some of these gold chevron units have been around for like the last 50 turns just racking up tens or hundreds of thousands of kills.

Pikemen and hoplites can't do very much to non-routers. Whereas a face full of... let's look for that image

Most kills by the slingers are of people fighting, a lot of everyone else's kills are routers.
    Last edited by Alavaria; September 17, 2014 at 09:47 AM.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Nah, the heavy cavalry will charge into hoplites, it's a matter of knowing how to get them to do it. They don't actually always charge, if you know what to do you can catch them anyway, because the AI isn't the greatest if you're pushing it rather than allowing it to set up good charge.

It's also easiest to kill them with slingers when they're stuck on hoplites. Legionaries don't get the fancy light_spear and spear_bonus 6.

By protect, I mean you can use sturdy hoplites to attract and pin infantry and horse, and then you shoot them to death. And slingers are very much best utilized to shoot people to death. Some of these gold chevron units have been around for like the last 50 turns just racking up tens or hundreds of thousands of kills.

Pikemen and hoplites can't do very much to non-routers. Whereas a face full of... let's look for that image

Most kills by the slingers are of people fighting, a lot of everyone else's kills are routers.
    Slingers are my safeguard and sacrifice to prevent two ranks of legionaries from biting the dust thanks to a frontal lancer charge. Problem is that Rome doesn't get access to hoplites. With the Seleucids, sure. Romani? Not so much. I would never waste beautiful rhodian slingers to stop lancers from charging pikes, but Legionaries? Can't happen. So far, it's the best method of Defence for my legionaries from heavy cavalry. Roman cavalry post-Marius is terrible, the two mainstays of my armies, Equites Extraordinarii and Allied Equites Extraordinarii were replaced by Campanians and Latin medium cavalry. The former is great but the latter is terrible.
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

Ownager's Avatar Senator

BTW, what is the Sacred Band of Aa? I know the Sacred Band of Astarte, but what is that doing as the Spartan generals unit? Or is that what it is called?

Domesticus

Speaking of hoplite units, what do you reckon inflicts more casualties: using their spears or swords?

Good thing I don't rely on the crazy expensive elite infantry who kill really slowly and take tons of casualties from the Very Hard whatever they're stabbing. Seems like an annoying plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownager View Post
    BTW, what is the Sacred Band of Aa? I know the Sacred Band of Astarte, but what is that doing as the Spartan generals unit? Or is that what it is called?
    If you've read the story so far of the spartan campaign, you'd recognize the name. But it is indeed simply a renamed Spartan Generals Bodyguard, nothing else.

Storywise, it's exactly what you think it is, a Sacred Band type unit dedicated to a particular patron. I think Pelops started it after he conquered Carthago.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Speaking of hoplite units, what do you reckon inflicts more casualties: using their spears or swords?
    Spears for horse. Though really only for light horse, they are relatively incapable of dealing with heavy horse.

For most things though, killing is done with the slingers. That means heavy horse (especially generals bodyguards...) and most infantry.
    Last edited by Alavaria; September 17, 2014 at 01:32 PM.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

@ownager as rome use archers to kill of the cav that attacks you.
    when u use 4 archer units,then shooting with 2units on 1cav unit,not mutch is left of any cav unit if they come close.

when facing phalanx army's try to use 2archer and 2 sling units.the archers to kill the cav and the slingers to flank and shoot the phalanx in the back.
    always works for me on hard difficulty
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    @ownager as rome use archers to kill of the cav that attacks you.
    when u use 4 archer units,then shooting with 2units on 1cav unit,not mutch is left of any cav unit if they come close.

when facing phalanx army's try to use 2archer and 2 sling units.the archers to kill the cav and the slingers to flank and shoot the phalanx in the back.
    always works for me on hard difficulty
    I usually just focus on cavalry to deal with phalanxes and enemy missiles. My typical Marian legion is 10 cohorts, including the first cohort, and 7 cavalry units, one General and two seige engines. Do you think it needs a change?

Domesticus

I usually just focus on cavalry to deal with phalanxes and enemy missiles. My typical Marian legion is 10 cohorts, including the first cohort, and 7 cavalry units, one General and two seige engines. Do you think it needs a change?
    Yes, stop playing with disgusting roman pigs.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Disgusting roman pigs could rip apart prissy Greeks. Except for Seleucids.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

7 cav for a roman army is way too much. Should have at most 4.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Dacian cavalry is so annoyingly powerful, especially the Sarmatians and Roxalani. Sure, Seleucids have better cavalry, but I'll have numbers when facing them. Here, I try to minimize causalties by charging the enemy cavalry with my entire force, usually routing atleast one or two units that way. To take on Macedon, I feel I'll need higher quality cavalry. Don't want to spam praetorian cavalry, and I don't want to use missiles. Its dishonorable. Besides, Balearic slingers are far too powerful.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

My slow expansion campaign:
    Its the year 599 AUC, a few years after the death of the great Publius Junius Pera, hero of the Gallic, Hispanic, African, Reconquering and Defection wars. The regions of Hispania, Africa and Gaul are under the roman republic, although Gaul is filled with riots and rebels who want to restore the Arverni to their former glory. But the real threat is in the East. Lucius Fulvius Flaccus, the hero of the Gallic campaign and disciple to Pera was massacred along with the majority of the Gallic invasion force in the Dacian woodlands, after he took his men on an unauthorized expedition to gain glory and secure a future consulship. Under Pera and Decimus Salvius Otho, a veteran of the Gallic and African campaigns, the republican army changed from one of citizen soldiers to one of professionals, thanks to the Peran reforms. The defeat of Lucius Fulvius Flaccus in Dacia sent the Republic into turmoil, and Publius Pera the younger took the Legio VII Claudia Pia VII Fidelis VII Paterna to Dacia to restore roman honor. Caught in a war with two nations, the Boii and the Dacians, he suffered tremendous casualties, but made significant expansions into Dacian territory and Boii territory, reaching the area of Sarmizegetheuza before retreating. Just as the Paterna was about to be destroyed, the Legio IX Hispana arrived under Decimus Salvius Otho to save the legion. However, when taking the ill fated city of Noreia, the whole legion and its commander acquired to the plague. The Hispana, devastated, managed to take Aquincum before its leader died, and it was left with 300 men.

Yeah, that's the situation. I've got the Legio I Germanica and Legio VIII Augusta prepped and ready to go in Italy, and the Gemina Martia Victrix in Hispana needs a cavalry supplement to be finished. I'm open for suggestions. My plan was to abandon all my territories in Dacia and give them to the Boii, who were suddenly attacked by their Dacian allies when they scented their weakness. I suppose I could go in with my three legions and end the Dacians, but then I would share a border with the Sarmatians, who I don't trust, even thought hey supported me against the Dacians so far. Furthermore, Macedon has expanded far into Sarmatian territory, and I really don't want to find out how strong their forces are if they can take out horse archer armies. I want to focus on developing my legions and quelling rebellions before I turn to Greece, my next target. We're all geared up for a world war, with me, My Cimbri allies, the Sarmatians, the Ptolemies and myself going up against the Boii, Macedonians, Dacians and Greek City states, with the Seleucid empire still neutral but kind of hostile towards me, since I'm allied to the Ptolemies.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

way to mutch cav dude. 2 on both flanks is enough. try archers and you will like their effect on cav
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Ownager's Avatar Senator

I noticed that barbarians rout very very quickly to cavalry charges from the rear. My grand plan is to pin the enemy with my legionaries, smack up all the enemy infantry, and then annihilate the enemy cavalry with numbers. The only cavalry I have that is marginally good are the Lonchophoroi, Praetorians and Campanian cavalry. Campanians used in large numbers are devastating.

Medium or Hard battle difficulty?

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Medium of course. Everything above that is completely unbalanced. I'm ok with praetorian cavalry being beat by Heavy spearmen, but not by levy club men.

Domesticus

Bloody armenians and their heavy infantry/cavalary ruining my auto resolve results...

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

I use two cav, not counting the General.

You've got no variety man, where's your variety?!
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

All this talk about defeating phalanxes with Romans and I still remember the RS1 days when cohorts could easily plow through a Macedonian pike phalanx head on...