Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 103550515253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1346

Thread: RS 2.6 - Post Your New Empire

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

Default Re: RS 2.6 - Post Your New Empire

because there are so many roman empires in here i started a pontic one.

at first i set my eyes on the greek holdings in asia minor and crimmea.
    have taken the city's of sinope and heraclea.
    than one army conquerd the large city on crimmea but had to abandon it again to fight the seleucids
    who betray me.they destroyed all buildings and head back to the homeland.

seleucid failed to take mazaka and i had the manpower to take the ill defended city.

seleucia attacked the city but lost to the beter trained units of the pontic royal army.which set out to the seleucid strongholds at tarsos and antioch.
    the royal army conquerd tarsos and holded it against a new attack.by that time the crimmean army had come to the rescue and has taken antioch.
    that army will be the garrizon for a long time.the army in tarsos got new recruits so that the main army have the space to attack side and patara that are taken by the seleucid
    dogs.

wile the new recruited army besieged apameia

my ally's and financial overview
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

some battle pics
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

The year is 559 AUC, Winter. Of course, "the city" was destroyed long ago, its carcass so thoroughly deconstructed that future generations will only know of "Nea Roma".

Personally ordered by Our Lady, it stands a huge and prosperous Greek-Italian city. A magnificent example of Spartan imperial architecture. (Of course, this means "Athenian or Syrcausean" architecture, mostly Athenian.)

The Spartan Imperial Hegemony extends over many regions (about 110). Its standing forces number a whole seven Banner Armies (which means: stacks with Generals).

Of note:
    • Over 31k of income from destroying enemy barracks etc
    • Nearly 30k of income from "depopulation" (another 10k from "Admin")
    • Over 52k lost to corruption
    • Spending about 1k to 1.5k per settlement per turn. All settlements are building.
    • Almost all settlements (except Sparte) are at the lower bound of the taxable income bonus %
    • Majority of constructon is temples, to maintain public order
    • I generally use up all cash before End Turn. If nothing else, queue up more (or more expensive) buildings
    • There's another 53K more in the treasury to be spent this turn.

Sparta stands alone. If "having enemies everywhere" counts as standing alone. It has no allies or protectorates.

Many enemies have already fallen. Rome, the Averni, the Galleci, Macedon, Pergamon, and Pontus are among these.

Scythia and a single Greek City State survive only by grace...

The Iberian Front:
    With two Banner Armies here (under the command of King Agesipolis and General Pelops), Carthage down to only two settlements, and the imperial holdings stable, doubtless Iberia will soon be another productive area...

If not for the serious corruption issue. But really, this is close to being wrapped up.

The Cimbrian Front:
    General Kritodemos and his Banner Army strike deep into the forests. Soon, the Cimbri will discover their city of gold in the north has fallen...

What plan does he have to keep his men safe when the barbarians are massing to retake their lands? We will see!

The Dacian Front:
    General Mesaulius has overcome the Dacian capital. Though the barbarians have made small gains (two settlements in the east, by bribery), they cannot hold out for much longer...

They probably shouldn't have wasted that cash. As it is, they are unlikely to be able to train top-tier units (and might lack the money anyway) in those two settlements.

The Armenian-Seleucid Front:
    King Machinaidas has sacked the Armenian capital. But soon, he will no longer walk among the mortals, another must take his command...

They will probably have to burn everything along the way, as well. Just keep on sacking everything.

The Ptolemic Front:
    General Polydoros has made solid gains, the heart of Egypt is within striking range...

Where did Pharaoh and his army go? It is as if they have disappeared into the sea.
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 25, 2014 at 02:07 AM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

You think you've overextended much with only 7 stacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    You think you've overextended much with only 7 stacks?
    After clearing Iberia, I should be fine with just 6. The seventh might be involved fighting Sarmatia though.

Even if I have the resources to add another 7+ stacks, I don't really want to... it isn't even turn 50 and I already am sitting at 115 settlements.

I'm also keeping armies restricted to generals "of Sparta" which means working with the whole "having children" thing, as almost anyone else will be from elsewhere. It will be a while before some of the children grow up, by then hopefully Cimbi/Boii/Dacia will be gone. Might invade Belgae rather than wait for them to decide to attack, but they're pretty stuck on their island with no cash, heh.

Will probably have to deal with only using 6 armies for a decent amount of time. One general has about 6 turns of life left, while the oldest who isn't in the field will need another 22 turns before they can be employed. Thankfully no one else should die of old age before several more factions are wiped out.

I did contemplate upgrade the line troops from Ekdromoi Hoplites, but nah, they're too easily replaced. But there is a chance of moving from Levy Pikemen to the Palmryan Pikemen.
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 25, 2014 at 05:38 PM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I can never resist pumping out the stacks, Sometimes I'd have 5-10 stacks on one front alone...

Domesticus

559 auc and you already have an empire of that size?

What is that, 0 turn or did you manage to make a 4tpy mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    559 auc and you already have an empire of that size?

What is that, 0 turn or did you manage to make a 4tpy mod?
    No, it's still two turns per year, you can see from the territorial ranking graph that is isn't quite 50 turns yet.

It is 0-turn, AI factions could be knocked down faster on 1-turn, but that will not be tested as my (1-turn) Syracuse campaign is all about trying to use as few forces as possible. A good potion of the slowdown in about halfway through is dodging or otherwise dealing with stacks that keep on appearing.

Getting reinforcements is not actually that much of an issue, being able to grab 6 units of light hoplites at will is handy, but the alternative is either having a settlement endlessly churn them out (actually this is overkill in terms of reinforcements) or having two or three settlements produce a couple and then upgrading them beforehand.

Especially in 0-turn you can't afford to wair, your reinforcements are always streaming to the front to endlessly take and sack/burn down settlements. The AI also builds barracks faster... very annoying.
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 26, 2014 at 05:07 PM.

As part of the Spartan Empire, there's a long chain of boats allowing one-turn transport along most areas in the southern waters. Despite the fact it is rarely used, it nevertheless is worth the expense.

Because this network branches, I will just illustrate a single Journey.

King Agesipolis III of Sparta is travelling from Iberia (specifically, the Baleric Isles, where he has ended the Carthaginian threat) to the Eastern front, where the Seleucids are sieging Antiocheia. The chain actually can go even further down to the very capital of the Ptolemics... what does it look like?

This is what Agesipolis' trip might look like...
    • Pollentia
    • Sagunton
    • Emporiae
    • Massalia
    • Arretium (or Aleria)
    • Roma
    • Capua
    • Rhegion
    • Crotona
    • Olympia (or Thermoa)
    • Sparte (Troop Pickup)
    • Chalkis (or Athenai)
    • Ephesos (or Halikarnassos)
    • Rhodos
    • Side
    • Tarsos, Antiocheia or Laodikeia (endpoint)
    • Ierosolyma
    • Tanis
    • Alexandria

Note: you can also take a branch to towards Pella, or even all the way to Crimea, or the western side of Armenia that is touching the water. Carthago and Sicily are also connected but the northern seas of Africa are not (you can go south from Carthago down to Lepcis Magna though)

Strategically speaking, my armies need only a few components:
    • General
    • Lancers (xystonphoroi hippeis or something): Anti-router
    • Rhodian Slingers
    • Pikemen
    • Some infantry unit with spears
    • Artillery

My lancers, Rhodian slingers and artillery are only obtainable from Sparte. I'm going to start using some Palmryan Pikemen, only obtainable (so far) in Antiochea. However, Sparte is the west-most settlement I have that trains Levy Pikemen.

The bulk of my losses are hoplites... thankfully any settlement can take two turns (I like to use ones with +XP and +armor/weapon upgrades) and be able to train the Ekdromoi light hoplites.

Note: Perioikoi Pikemen are a unit available anywhere at Tier 3 spartan barracks, and Greek Slingers are available at Tier 2 spartan barracks. But I prefer Levy pikemen (cheaper, sufficiently capable) and Rhodian slingers (more range, higher attack). I've tried using better hoplites, but once a few units are gone, and I start using Ekdromoi reinforcements it seems hardly worth the bother... I think you can also get Tarentines cavalry at Tier 2 barracks, there's no real reason I use the lancers (and they hardly kill anything but routers) but they are better at melee so I carry two units.

For most of the fighting in the East, there isn't much alternative to moving overland, so that could slow things down... Agesipolis is quite a monster though, with ancillaries and traits that give him huge amounts of +movement. He can drag siege engines much much further than a horse unit (without bonus) can move...

It's also possible to have boats just sitting in the water, allowing you to chain all the way from say Antiochia to the northern end of Cimbri territory... if not for pirates. But I don't think there are any around, and certainly no faction can raise a real navy.
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 28, 2014 at 01:12 AM.

One can hope the Spartans will fight each other and destroy themselves from within and let their empire crumble into the dust.

Just kidding, awesome freaking empire....
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

This comes into the story in the ChivTW setting (it's also sitting down in the link).

But the greek empire splits into east and west greek empires... and "rome arises" in germania (ie: the HRE). Of course, the Spartan half holds together better than the Syracusean half, and as such the byzantine greeks still use phalanx....

According to the storyline (which is part of both campaigns) the Spartans did not take over Italy, Syracuse did. Which perhaps is the reason the Gallic/Germanic areas fell apart like that. (The spartans actually went through and burned down entire swathes of land/forest in their storyline)
    Last edited by Alavaria; September 01, 2014 at 08:37 PM.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    As part of the Spartan Empire, there's a long chain of boats allowing one-turn transport along most areas in the southern waters. Despite the fact it is rarely used, it nevertheless is worth the expense.

Because this network branches, I will just illustrate a single Journey.

King Agesipolis III of Sparta is travelling from Iberia (specifically, the Baleric Isles, where he has ended the Carthaginian threat) to the Eastern front, where the Seleucids are sieging Antiocheia. The chain actually can go even further down to the very capital of the Ptolemics... what does it look like?

This is what Agesipolis' trip might look like...
    • Pollentia
    • Sagunton
    • Emporiae
    • Massalia
    • Arretium (or Aleria)
    • Roma
    • Capua
    • Rhegion
    • Crotona
    • Olympia (or Thermoa)
    • Sparte (Troop Pickup)
    • Chalkis (or Athenai)
    • Ephesos (or Halikarnassos)
    • Rhodos
    • Side
    • Tarsos, Antiocheia or Laodikeia (endpoint)
    • Ierosolyma
    • Tanis
    • Alexandria

Note: you can also take a branch to towards Pella, or even all the way to Crimea, or the western side of Armenia that is touching the water. Carthago and Sicily are also connected but the northern seas of Africa are not (you can go south from Carthago down to Lepcis Magna though)

Strategically speaking, my armies need only a few components:
    • General
    • Lancers (xystonphoroi hippeis or something): Anti-router
    • Rhodian Slingers
    • Pikemen
    • Some infantry unit with spears
    • Artillery

My lancers, Rhodian slingers and artillery are only obtainable from Sparte. I'm going to start using some Palmryan Pikemen, only obtainable (so far) in Antiochea. However, Sparte is the west-most settlement I have that trains Levy Pikemen.

The bulk of my losses are hoplites... thankfully any settlement can take two turns (I like to use ones with +XP and +armor/weapon upgrades) and be able to train the Ekdromoi light hoplites.

Note: Perioikoi Pikemen are a unit available anywhere at Tier 3 spartan barracks, and Greek Slingers are available at Tier 2 spartan barracks. But I prefer Levy pikemen (cheaper, sufficiently capable) and Rhodian slingers (more range, higher attack). I've tried using better hoplites, but once a few units are gone, and I start using Ekdromoi reinforcements it seems hardly worth the bother... I think you can also get Tarentines cavalry at Tier 2 barracks, there's no real reason I use the lancers (and they hardly kill anything but routers) but they are better at melee so I carry two units.

For most of the fighting in the East, there isn't much alternative to moving overland, so that could slow things down... Agesipolis is quite a monster though, with ancillaries and traits that give him huge amounts of +movement. He can drag siege engines much much further than a horse unit (without bonus) can move...

It's also possible to have boats just sitting in the water, allowing you to chain all the way from say Antiochia to the northern end of Cimbri territory... if not for pirates. But I don't think there are any around, and certainly no faction can raise a real navy.
    It's an empire like this that I want to fight with the Seleucids. It would beautiful.
    BTW, 7 stacks seem a little thick for that much space. I have the entire Western Mediterranean, and used two. Romans of course, perhaps better than those Spartans.
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

"We will either find a way or make one." -Hannibal Barca

Depends.. I guess you could use two stacks to fight 9 factions...

Though certainly not with the equivalent of militia troops

And your two Roman stacks probably are close to, if not more expensive than my seven.

The year is (not that many) after the destruction of the city (Roma).

Many have fallen for various causes. The last of these causes: Armenia, Boii, Dacia (they're stuck in forever ceasefire).

About 43 settlements remain to be added to our tally of 155.

Remaining enemies are: Belgae (two settlements), Cimbri (two settlements), Seleucids

At some point we wll have to deal with the Sarmatians and Parthians. Though the Parthians are somewhere "behind" the Seleucids, which means the first and last thing they will probably see if Agesipolis' banner army.

(Agesipolis is at the top part of the border with the Seleucids, Pelops has another banner army at the south side)

EDIT: Seleucids at 10 (and falling!!), Parthians at 3 and Saarmatians at 8 settlements.

Ironically, I have to reduce my income or train more men as I am in danger of breaching the "200,000 at TurnStart => Script eats 40,000" point. Hah.

Part of this is due to Tecton of Actium (you may remember him!! Machinaidas' helper) who is turbocharging Sparte to provide nearly 40k out of the 200k in taxes.

If you're wondering, Tecton has maxed out the "Settlement Loyalty" penalty trait. Sparte is indeed permanently staying at Very High taxes, even without needing to play governor swapping tricks. Which is nice because...

Tecton brings in another another 8.5k due to his amazing administration, which is at 13+ or so... (coupled with Sparte's massive income, of course)

Endgame? Two stacks on Seleucids. Another 2 on the Sarmatians. One to clear the Belgae/north area. One to clean up some other spots.

And one to just.... I don't know. Cheerlead or something...

Last edited by Alavaria; September 17, 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Domesticus

I would've stopped playing that campaign a long time ago

Don't worry, it can still be salvaged!

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Don't worry, it can still be salvaged!
    You'd better. That empire looks as stable as a house of cards in a tornado.
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Niceeee!!! It would be great to show us your best armies too.

Hmm, well I'll show off the First Banner Army, led by Agesipolis (Faction leader and top general)

It follows the standard composition, and uses standard basic units. I'm likely to have upgraded unit-types in future. You can see:

1 General
    1 Artillery Unit
    2 Cavalry (Anti-router)
    5 Pikemen (These ones are Greek Levy Pikemen, the lowest tier. I made them look like the perioikoi pikemen)
    5 Slingers (Rhodian slingers, best around)
    6 Hoplites (The first ones are Taxeis hoplites, decent medium hoplites. The ones with lambas are Spartan Ekdromoi Hoplites, the lightest hoplites around. They are made to look like Spartan Hoplites)

The updated version will use 5 Palmryan Pikemen (more armor!) and 6 of the Metioikoi Hoplites (pretty nice heavy hoplites)

Some "siege armies" actually lost a cavalry unit and a pike unit due to whatever reasons, so they might have 7 or 8 units of hoplites. Pikemen and horse aren't helpful in settlements.

(This is the Fifth Banner Army)

One army has only 1 Cavalry, 3 Pikemen, 4 Slingers... so it carries a TON of hoplites... though it's got some guys sitting as garrisons, having 10 units of hoplites or whatever is amusing.

Those are Illyrian Light Infantry, by the way. They have better base stats than the Ekdromoi hoplites (and javelins!) but it's not possible to get them maxed out (don't have a settlement that can train them at 2xp. pity)

Pelops, leading the Third Banner Army is using some of the new Palmryan pikemen. They are very nice with metal-covered shields and a coat of scale armor. Sorta like a cataraphact pikemen, none of those Thorakitai Argyraspides for me, thanks.

They may not be as "good" as the silvershield pikemen and the like, but their armor rating is the same.
    Last edited by Alavaria; September 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Gold chevron slingers! My slingers can't survive two battles without being mowed down by cavalry. You could destroy an entire legion of testudos with those. Forget everything I said. I no longer want to fight those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownager View Post
    Gold chevron slingers! My slingers can't survive two battles without being mowed down by cavalry. You could destroy an entire legion of testudos with those. Forget everything I said. I no longer want to fight those guys.
    No they can't touch testudos or units that "form phalanx" regardless. Actually they can't really kill heavy units with big shields either, except from the side.

I only have two units (in the whole empire) of XP 8 slingers, and none of XP 9.

As for horsemen, it's a matter of knowing how to protect your missile units, then you can put them to good use.