Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1328293031323334353637383940414243444546474863 ... LastLast

Thread: RS 2.6 - Post Your New Empire

Default Re: RS 2.5 - Post Your New Empire

When you enter negotiations with a diplomat, hit the question mark in the upper right hand corner, then hit the show me how button next to the adviser. Forced diplomacy is then activated .
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Hey guys, long time lurker. Actually had an account years ago but login details are trapped in a dead email. Anyways to my current RS game, getting back into Total war lately.

I am Rome as you probably can tell. 1 turn H/H. 579 AUC.

Started off securing Italy and defeating Hannibal and the Carthaginians. Proceeded to take Sicilly, Northern Italy, Corsica/Sardinia and onto Carthaginian mainland itself. Carthage is now destroyed thanks to the Spanish destroying them on the peninsula.

I had hoped to have taken Greece by the time I'd have to deal with the Spanish but they are pouring troops towards the Rebel buffer settlement I created and will soon inevitably attack Cirta/Hippo Regis. I have 2.5 legions currently in Macedonia, a allied force in Cirta with half a legion in Hippo Regis, and a legion in Northern Italy. The Spanish have around a stack and a half in Africa with 3 more in Southern Spain. I am growing increasingly worried about this, and I may need to withdraw from Greece and let the Spartans finish off the Macedonians after my hard work (currently seiging Pella after taking Edessa/Dyrachium).

Problem is that launching full scale war against the Spanish means I will have to invade the peninsula which I simply cannot afford to commit resources too. I am making around 20k profit per turn and can only afford to create 1 more legion. Which means I have 3.5 legions to attack and garrison Spain with least I remain financially sound.

Any advice?

Build finance buildings, establish trade

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Smiling Hetairoi's Avatar Semisalis

Build a few forts near the Spanish border.

Foederatus

So this is the first RTW campaign in years. Started off with Sicily on H/VH or VH/H (hard battles). As you can see all my finances come from Syracuse itself. It's kinda hard fighting against the Romans from start, especially the unrest is hard to manage. Captured Capua, Cannae and Olympia in the last 2 turns. Greece attacked me so I'm planning on invading Sparta and Corinth from my base in Argos too.

I wonder: is it cheating if you take a city off-guard in just one turn, thereby bypassing the garrison script? There is only one general in Rome so I am really thinking about just taking it with some lithobolos and/or a spy.

and yet an other question: are the cultural buildings permanent? Even if you hold a settlement for a very long time and replace all their buildings with yours?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Syracuse.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	287565

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

is it cheating if you take a city off-guard in just one turn, thereby bypassing the garrison script
    taking a city through treachery is a thing done throughout history.

There are 1 or 2 cultural buildings which you can't destroy (depends on region and faction). These buildings represent the people living there. All other buildings of different factions can you destroy. It's not cheating if you use a good siege unit. Why wait a turn, when you can have the city right now? That's why we have siege weapons as units. So we should use them, otherwise they would be totally nonsense...

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Today I started my first proper campaign in RS2 as Sparta. I defeated the Greek city up north, building the tax edict in the capital of Sparta. At the same time I sent diplomats to Romans, Ptolemaics and Macedonians for trade. The Greek army garrisoned in the city north of Corinthian region left the city to fight the Macedonians, so I took it as well. I am on turn 10 and rolling in cash. There is so much money that I don't know what to do with it.

Now I am facing a dilemma. I can either lay siege to the fully garrisoned Athens, or turn west and take out their last city aside from Athens itself, but that will leave me vulnerable. But I have only one army, so I think I should use that huge pile of cash to build another one quickly.

I will post my empire once I reach at least turn 50. Having huge fun so far, aside from an instance of poor grammar usage and spelling mistake I encountered.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Build up a second army and capture Athenai. This will give more income and easily gold armor. Then you can expand right into Macedonia. But forget the diplomatic things. Spartans don't do that... They don't know what that is. Rome is your biggest enemy, after Macedon. Theres no other way to have a constant war with them. Sure, they will often ask for peace, but in the next turns they break it again. So I would say as a Spartan... Kick their asses soon...

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Alkarin View Post
    How does one do forced diplomacy? I haven't played this mod in about a year and I've forgotten a lot of the little things.
    When on the diplomacy screen, click the ? in the top right corner. The advisor will pop up with instructions. Click "show me how" then enter your demands. The AI will accept them.

But don't cheat, cmon. Use it sensibly and fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bane1 View Post
    Build up a second army and capture Athenai. This will give more income and easily gold armor. Then you can expand right into Macedonia. But forget the diplomatic things. Spartans don't do that... They don't know what that is. Rome is your biggest enemy, after Macedon. Theres no other way to have a constant war with them. Sure, they will often ask for peace, but in the next turns they break it again. So I would say as a Spartan... Kick their asses soon...
    War with Macedon is my biggest fear. Not because they are somehow becoming huge, but because phalanx vs phalanx battles are so difficult.

My second army is in construction. Thanks.

Roman Soldier's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Alkarin View Post
    How does one do forced diplomacy? I haven't played this mod in about a year and I've forgotten a lot of the little things.
    Here is what you need to do:
    You need to modify two files... (BACK them up!)

data/export_descr_advice.txt
    data/text/export_advice.txt

...and add one.

data/scripts/show_me/Force_Diplomacy.txt

1. data/export_descr_advice.txt

Replace the existing Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Thread with this:

;------------------------------------------
    AdviceThread Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Thread
    GameArea Campaign

Item Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Text_01
    Suppressible n
    Uninhibitable
    Verbosity 0
    Threshold 1
    Attitude Normal
    Presentation Default
    Title Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Text_01_Title
    Script scripts\show_me\Force_Diplomacy.txt
    Text Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Text_01_Text1

Replace the existing 2085B_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Help_Trigger trigger with this:

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger 2085B_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Help_Trigger
    WhenToTest ScrollAdviceRequested

Condition ScrollAdviceRequested diplomacy_scroll

AdviceThread Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Thread 0

2. data/text/export_advice.txt (optional)

Replace the existing Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice entries with these:

¬-------------------

{Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Text_01_Title} Force Diplomacy

{Help_UI_Panel_Diplomacy_Early_Advice_Text_01_Text1}
    You can force this faction to accept your offer by clicking on the "show me how" button.

3. data/scripts/show_me/Force_Diplomacy.txt

Here's the script itself:

script
    declare_show_me
    declare_counter loop

monitor_event AbandonShowMe TrueCondition
    suspend_unscripted_advice false
    console_command force_diplomacy off
    terminate_script
    end_monitor

monitor_event ScrollClosed ScrollClosed diplomacy_scroll
    ui_flash_stop
    console_command force_diplomacy off
    terminate_script
    end_monitor

suspend_unscripted_advice true

console_command force_diplomacy accept

while I_CompareCounter loop = 0
    end_while

end_script

Rome 1 turn.

609 AUC, H/H, Alex.exe

Since my last update the Spanish were unable to continue their momentum. Rather foolishly the AI decided to expand into Gaul rather than attack my vulnerable western African flank. I withdrew from Greece and focused on attacking Iberia. I expanded into Massilia and southern Gaul, took Carthago Nova and Pollentia by sea and proceeded to take the East Iberian coastline. The Spanish had many silver chevron units in their stacks but were quite weak units and thus easy to defeat. I have them pretty much broken now, just a matter of mopping up the north and Portugal.

My decision to withdraw from Greece I didn't feel would come back to haunt me. But boy oh boy has it ever. At the time, the Spartans were the dominant force and my allies, owning all of Greece from Thessaly south, with armies congregating around Pella. The Greeks took Thessalonica and haven't looked back since. They have literally blitzkreiged their way to conquering Greece, Dacia, Western Asia Minor, the black sea, Illyria and are now knocking at the door of Patavium. I have managed to hold them off but it has forced me to withdraw 2 legions from Iberia to repel their stacks, making that conquest slow down.

Now my campaign has become a matter of waiting until Iberia is pacified and defending Patavium. When Iberia is conquered and secured, I can then plan the offensive against the Greeks, where Greece itself is poorly defending and vulnerable to invasion. Loving the challenge of this campaign.

Ugh.. I hate it when a faction becomes too large - that's why I use Forced Diplomacy to keep nations alive & their borders relatively normal.
    Great campaign though, destroy those impure Greeks!

Domesticus

I now present to you the most tiresome campaign i have ever played... no exageration!

Boii , 1 turn, VH / Hard and 4 turns per year.

A few comments and background.

As someone who has played the boii to some a extent a few times, one thing is clear: if the player over expands, there's a big chance it'll come back to bite him. When i had done it, i did so westards, since the celtic rebel bases lie in that direction, along with the Avernii and Belgae regions, which is to say, since you share the same culture, upon conquering these cities, you already have upgraded barracks built, making it far easier to retrain your armies.

It also means anyone between Dacia, Romans and the Cimbrii can attack you.

On this particular campaign i chose not to expand in that fashion, choosing Noreia as my most western region. It didn't matter though, because i became locked between - early on - the onslaught of the Dacians and Romans, and bit later on the Avernii which had carved an empire for themselves and now wanted more of it.

This would've been far easier if dacians stacks wouldn't have spawned by script as a result of taking their towns. 2 times... 2 freakin times!!! i took the town of Docidava and 2 times 2 full proper armies spawned, and the same happened when i took their capital. This was particulary annoying because of their falx units.

Playing with one veteran army alone didn't make things easier, so i was going right and left, up and down, trying to relieve siege after siege. Finally i managed a breakthrough that resulted in the extinction of the Dacians.

After 40 years, i had relative peace and coehesion in my lands and, in my stupidity, i decided to move south into northern greece and remove roman control from said region. I went as far as Pella and gave away all of those lands back to the Macedonians.

I realised my mistake too late, since as i moved back north in a rush to relieve my lands, they found themselves besieged on all corners. The Greeks had taken advantage and attacked my dacian holdings, the Avernii took my northern towns and Noreia and the Romans went as far as robbing me of my capital and now this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Imperial legions.......

The struggle for reuniting my lands continues

My Spartan campaign, although I reached turn 50, was nowhere close to an 'empire'. I marched northwards onto Illyria ignoring the Romans, and I pushed the Macedonians into Dacia north of the Danube. I gave Pella (after completely depopulating and plundering it) to the Seleucids in return for map information, alliance and trade. But then, suddenly I began facing a huge stack of Romans who nearly took Athens. When I began retaliating, I beat them back to Epirus but then the Seleucids betrayed me and two huge Seleucid doomstacks came from the north....from nowhere actually. I lost, as expected, and they took everything including Athens, and laid siege to Sparta itself.

My rest of the game was nothing but beating back their siege, taking Athens while they retaliate, use what little cash I have to replenish the troops and rush back to Sparta before their doomstack can lay siege to it without a proper garrison.

Now I have began my Rome campaign. I plan to take on all of the real Roman Empire. Any thing I should be watching for? I heard there was a rebellion system for Rome.

Oh, and Carthage is absurdly and unrealistically powerful. Their two doomstacks can decimate Romans easily at the start, while Rome has neither cash nor enough units to save anything. Quite contrary to the real pre-Punic War Rome, which did have a larger manpower base and army than Carthage. I simply cannot defeat Hannibal's army, and it is eating away my settlements one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    My Spartan campaign, although I reached turn 50, was nowhere close to an 'empire'. I marched northwards onto Illyria ignoring the Romans, and I pushed the Macedonians into Dacia north of the Danube. I gave Pella (after completely depopulating and plundering it) to the Seleucids in return for map information, alliance and trade. But then, suddenly I began facing a huge stack of Romans who nearly took Athens. When I began retaliating, I beat them back to Epirus but then the Seleucids betrayed me and two huge Seleucid doomstacks came from the north....from nowhere actually. I lost, as expected, and they took everything including Athens, and laid siege to Sparta itself.

My rest of the game was nothing but beating back their siege, taking Athens while they retaliate, use what little cash I have to replenish the troops and rush back to Sparta before their doomstack can lay siege to it without a proper garrison.

Now I have began my Rome campaign. I plan to take on all of the real Roman Empire. Any thing I should be watching for? I heard there was a rebellion system for Rome.

Oh, and Carthage is absurdly and unrealistically powerful. Their two doomstacks can decimate Romans easily at the start, while Rome has neither cash nor enough units to save anything. Quite contrary to the real pre-Punic War Rome, which did have a larger manpower base and army than Carthage. I simply cannot defeat Hannibal's army, and it is eating away my settlements one by one.
    If you're going to play as Romans, there will be a battle at the beginning that you will always lose with auto-win.
    It is extremely difficult, but you can get an Heroic victory (done the same, search for my older post), just make sure to use your cavalry to kill the general in well-placed charges, then against the back of the infantry. For the rest I'd say it is quite a nice campaign, with lots of places to conqueror - my advice would be to conquer Spain & North Africa first, from there you will have a lot of money & guarantees that you will conquer the whole map

here's my first rs2 campaign:
    macedon
    m/m
    rometw.exe
    0turn
    I attacked no one they attacked me first! and then...

EDIT: SPOILERS ADDED BY USER REQUEST...
    Last edited by nikzi76; August 03, 2013 at 03:50 AM. Reason: adding spoilers...

*Delete* Double Post

Domesticus

Nikzi76 use spoiler tags man

[spoiler][./spoiler] without the . in the second box.