Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863 ... LastLast

Thread: RS 2.6 - Post Your New Empire

Default Re: RS 2.5 - Post Your New Empire

Well here is my roman campaign, and me fighting against Carthage, and Baelgae.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Heus hoc est Latine, et Roma Surrectum est Lorem

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What difficulty are you playing on?

Quote Originally Posted by hannibalbarca13 View Post
    What difficulty are you playing on?
    medium campaign/ hard battle, i'm not very good at managing my empire

Dat Macedon.

Sonic, before you lose those cities...destroy everything.

That is what I do when I'm going to lose a city and know I won't be able to retake it within 4 turns. I destroy every damned building so the city is useless to the conquerors.

Quote Originally Posted by XxKrebsxX View Post
    Dat Macedon.

Sonic, before you lose those cities...destroy everything.

That is what I do when I'm going to lose a city and know I won't be able to retake it within 4 turns. I destroy every damned building so the city is useless to the conquerors.
    I'm holding up against Macedon, I'ts Carthage I'm worried about. Bealgae isn't too hard to fight they use a lot of what I consider junkie units.

I want some recommendations from you guys:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Playing Galatia, Hard campaign, I already control all Anatolia. Now which route should I choose?

Personally I concern about the Armenians. They are big and not have many adversaries.

Maybe naval invasion of southern Greece? Good place to gather wealth, unless that's not a big issue for you.

Out of interest, how is the campaign? I don't think we've had any feedback on the Galatian campaign. Is the challenge level good? Is it too easy? What are your economics like?

Also feedback from people who've played the Bosporan campaign would be great.
    Last edited by tone; August 22, 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

I find playing Galatian campaign quite easy.You start with 3 or 4 cities(don't remember exactly) and you have plenty of rebel towns/cities around you before you have to find any faction,so you can build up your strength.You have good units and wealthy cities all around you.The only problem i had is the bug with the new Galatian generals,who are Legatus .....

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Do you have too much money? If you were able to post some screenshots of finances, campaign map, armies you encounter and so on that would really help with tweaking things.

Same applies for other campaigns.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Maybe naval invasion of southern Greece? Good place to gather wealth, unless that's not a big issue for you.

Out of interest, how is the campaign? I don't think we've had any feedback on the Galatian campaign. Is the challenge level good? Is it too easy? What are your economics like?

But the Macedons are fighting with the Romans. I prefer to leave two giants clashing for a while.

The campaign is quite good. Since I play in Hard, the challenge is ok (but I had to use force diplomacy to keep Pontus and Pergamon as two pawns in the chestboard to hold Armenians and Macedons at bay).
    The economic is a bit harder than my previous campaign, at least at the beginning, since the prices are all higher than normal. I couldn't build a second army until taking control of Minor Asia. But only 'a bit' since I still could manage it quite well, none could give me serious trouble. (only lost one city once) One annoying thing is that three or four of my rulers were assassinated one after another, until I could bribe the bastard (I think).
    I noticed that tax buildings do not give penalties. Also there is no visible roads around Tavion.
    Last edited by naq; August 22, 2012 at 04:52 AM.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Do you have too much money? If you were able to post some screenshots of finances, campaign map, armies you encounter and so on that would really help with tweaking things.

Same applies for other campaigns.
    pergamum is the easiest faction along with galatia, you have a lot of territories to conquer, and consequently money, this goes for all the factions that have a lot of rebel territory around them, like the arvenii, the HA factions. Im having fun with my spartan campaign, it became increasingly easier once I conquered athens.

My rules: Only conquer territories if you have only one starting city (2 territories maximum), dont go to war (unless you are rome, quickly finish hannibal and the carthaginian territory in italy, trade emporiae and dyrrhachium for peace with carthage and macedon), wait for 50 turns or so and start to go for civs that have already been successful in their wars, i.e. became the dominant power. Campaign is H or VH and battles are H (I hate the AI bonuses)

One thing I noticed, is that once I reach 200k in the treasury (quite easy since Im at peace and build economic buildings before war ones) I have a loss of income, when I pass the barrier of 200k per turn than I can have my treasury to work as intended, i.e. accumulate wealth as usual, I find it interesting that in my last roman campaign I had around 20 legions, 10 navies (2 decere, 3 trireme, 2 quinreme), 80 territories and I was making 1.5 million per turn. talk about too much money

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Also was Galatia consisted of 4 tribes? So why there is only one family instead of at least 4?
    Same for Sparta, which should have 2 families at least.

I'll sort out some pictures eventually, but for now a quick review after roughly 100 turns of my Bosporan H/H campaign.

1. Secured starting region.
    2. Took Kotais down the coast and crossed the sea to take Heraclea & Sinope.
    3. Took Nicomedia, then betrayed by Pergamon so began warring with them over Tavion.
    4. Turned attention east as Pontus were warring with Armenia; stole Pontus' capital plus Mazaka.
    5. Wiped out Pontus and took Apameia and Gordium from Pergamon.
    6. Turned attention from Pergamon in order to spam heavily upgraded HA stacks for Sarmatian threat.
    7. After a good 20 turns of building foundries and spamming HAs up north, Sarmatia wiped out.
    8. Attention returns to Asia Minor, wiped out Pergamon, took Lysimacheia, Byzantion to ward off Macedon.

I'm at about 598 AUC now.

I've heard Seleucid Empire 50/50 steamrollers the east or gets torn to pieces. In mine, they've been in decline with the Ptolemies taking their coastal holdings, Parthia/Rebels nicking one or two in the east, and Armenia encroaching from the north. They're not dead and buried yet though, with a few awesome stacks on the move. I've also seen their diplomats loitering around Ptolemaic coastal holdings, so interesting to see what happens next.

Rome and I are allied and generally vying for label of Most Advanced nation. They're finally winning control of a lot of Iberia and have even taken the far west region in Africa, as well as controlling Sicily and some amount of Illyria.

Macedon are also huge, controlling all of Greece and possessing an almighty number of stacks. Dacia, to the north, is no behemoth but seems to have been turtling and might be about to start expanding in all directions - Scythia and the Cimbri are certainly on the ropes and ripe for the taking.

So it's Rome, Macedon, Egypt and myself (Bosporus) as the four major empires. I'm currently trying to work out whether to (a) backstab and blitz Armenia (b) give in to temptation and besiege Halicarnassus, thus declaring war on the Ptolemies of Egypt (c) pursue my dream of controlling all land around the Bosporan sea by seizing the fairly empty Scythian coastal holdings, at the risk of friction with Macedon.

Ultimately, I will have to go west at some point because my campaign requires me to hold 50 settlements (I have about 32 currently) including Athens, which Macedon controls. But the temptation to get involved with this 4-nation war that's raging in the east is very significant. In terms of economy, I spend everything I have each turn. My income per turn was about 15k on average for the first 40 turns, 20k for the next 40 turns, and 30k for the last 20 turns.

I'll try to sort Fraps out at some point this week and get a few pics up. Feels like a pretty balanced campaign so far. My only concern is that it's too easy to train spies up quickly and sneak them into settlements, at which point you basically don't need to siege because a decent spy gives you 80-88% probability of opening the gates. I've been able to blitz a few too many major cities by this method. Oh, only other imbalance is that Sarmatia threatened to end my campaign unless I devoted 20 turns to foundries/spamming HA stacks in their direction, and that sort of broke a little bit of the charm for me. Otherwise, phenomenal mod and I'm so grateful to those who worked to put it together!

I'll sort out some pictures eventually, but for now a quick review after roughly 100 turns of my Bosporan H/H campaign.

1. Secured starting region.
    2. Took Kotais down the coast and crossed the sea to take Heraclea & Sinope.
    3. Took Nicomedia, then betrayed by Pergamon so began warring with them over Tavion.
    4. Turned attention east as Pontus were warring with Armenia; stole Pontus' capital plus Mazaka.
    5. Wiped out Pontus and took Apameia and Gordium from Pergamon.
    6. Turned attention from Pergamon in order to spam heavily upgraded HA stacks for Sarmatian threat.
    7. After a good 20 turns of building foundries and spamming HAs up north, Sarmatia wiped out.
    8. Attention returns to Asia Minor, wiped out Pergamon, took Lysimacheia, Byzantion to ward off Macedon.

I'm at about 598 AUC now.

I've heard Seleucid Empire 50/50 steamrollers the east or gets torn to pieces. In mine, they've been in decline with the Ptolemies taking their coastal holdings, Parthia/Rebels nicking one or two in the east, and Armenia encroaching from the north. They're not dead and buried yet though, with a few awesome stacks on the move. I've also seen their diplomats loitering around Ptolemaic coastal holdings, so interesting to see what happens next.

Rome and I are allied and generally vying for label of Most Advanced nation. They're finally winning control of a lot of Iberia and have even taken the far west region in Africa, as well as controlling Sicily and some amount of Illyria.

Macedon are also huge, controlling all of Greece and possessing an almighty number of stacks. Dacia, to the north, is no behemoth but seems to have been turtling and might be about to start expanding in all directions - Scythia and the Cimbri are certainly on the ropes and ripe for the taking.

So it's Rome, Macedon, Egypt and myself (Bosporus) as the four major empires. I'm currently trying to work out whether to (a) backstab and blitz Armenia (b) give in to temptation and besiege Halicarnassus, thus declaring war on the Ptolemies of Egypt (c) pursue my dream of controlling all land around the Bosporan sea by seizing the fairly empty Scythian coastal holdings, at the risk of friction with Macedon.

Ultimately, I will have to go west at some point because my campaign requires me to hold 50 settlements (I have about 32 currently) including Athens, which Macedon controls. But the temptation to get involved with this 4-nation war that's raging in the east is very significant. In terms of economy, I spend everything I have each turn. My income per turn was about 15k on average for the first 40 turns, 20k for the next 40 turns, and 30k for the last 20 turns.

I'll try to sort Fraps out at some point this week and get a few pics up. Feels like a pretty balanced campaign so far. My only concern is that it's too easy to train spies up quickly and sneak them into settlements, at which point you basically don't need to siege because a decent spy gives you 80-88% probability of opening the gates. I've been able to blitz a few too many major cities by this method. Oh, only other imbalance is that Sarmatia threatened to end my campaign unless I devoted 20 turns to foundries/spamming HA stacks in their direction, and that sort of broke a little bit of the charm for me. Otherwise, phenomenal mod and I'm so grateful to those who worked to put it together!

Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully the next release will address a number of these points, in particular the ability to steamroll things in the later parts of the game.

Sounds like costs of agents needs to go up?

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully the next release will address a number of these points, in particular the ability to steamroll things in the later parts of the game.

there are tons of economic buildings, cities that make 55k+ per turn, you can make a huge city using those colonization buildings in a few turns, I did an experiment, I could create a huge city from bare ground (less than 2k of pop) in 15 turns, using process_cq.

Currently in my sparta campaign I have 12 armies (mostly by 8 heavy phalangities, 3 cataphracts, 2 elite hoplitai, 2 hack and slash troops and 4 missile troops), 4 navies (the usual 3 triremes, 2 quinremes, 2 deceres), with 17 cities, 300k each turn, and I currently have 4 armies engaged against rome

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Thanks for the feedback.

Personally I don't think their cost needs to go up, as they are already fairly expensive in the early game. In the long run it's really up to the player as to whether they are going to use spies or siege weapons to circumvent the garrisons or let them spawn and fight it out. Making them more expensive would also affect your ability to use them as security for your generals or counter-agents in your cities.

I also have a Bosporan campaign that's been going for a while. I'll post pics and some feedback on it next time I have a chance.

Great, would be good to hear that.

It'll be interesting to get feedback on 2.6 when it comes out...I think that the early stages of the game will be similar but the later stages will see fewer stacks and generally and economy that will need more work doing to keep cashflow coming in.

Silius Saurus's Avatar Biarchus

Is there an ETA on 2.6?
    "If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly". -- Nick Lappos

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazovmm View Post
    there are tons of economic buildings, cities that make 55k+ per turn, you can make a huge city using those colonization buildings in a few turns, I did an experiment, I could create a huge city from bare ground (less than 2k of pop) in 15 turns, using process_cq.

Currently in my sparta campaign I have 12 armies (mostly by 8 heavy phalangities, 3 cataphracts, 2 elite hoplitai, 2 hack and slash troops and 4 missile troops), 4 navies (the usual 3 triremes, 2 quinremes, 2 deceres), with 17 cities, 300k each turn, and I currently have 4 armies engaged against rome
    How do you know whether it's safe to start using the population growth measures? I almost always find myself using the population growth decrease measures in order to stop squalor from spiralling, but I've finally spotted after 100 turns into my campaign that population growth gives a bonus to public order ('population boom')...

So, what conditions do you need for a city to be suitable for major population growth? Governor presence, 'huge city' status, aqueducts, etc.?

Most of the cities in my Bosporan empire (Asia Minor + Russia) have populations of 10-20k, with a handful of 5k populations (mostly the furthest away nomadic ones) and a few 24-29k populations (Pantikapaion, Byzantion, etc.) and I reckon 90% of my settlements have Suburbs/Villages/Towns/Cities rather than Population/Migration growth levels 1/2/3. Really hope I've not been a total clown and massively hamstrung my economy/population out of excessive fear of squalor!