Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: RS 2.6

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: RS 2.6

What about the cavalry?
    I know you made it cheaper so the AI will want to buy it , but some factions didn't use so much cavalry historically. You should make some kind of cavalry like the West-Barbarian one more expensive and the Greek or Dacian one the same price and the easterners like Parthia and Armenia should have cheaper cavalry. (same for Nomads).
    Also, do you plan adding more swap factions, and if not will you add 0-turn for Capua and the other 2 which have 1-turn default and viceversa for the 0-turn ones?

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Yes.
    We're very happy with 2.6 and have already reached the point where any more new changes now will go into 2.7.
    The one turn campaigns now are going to be challenging and a lot of fun.
    You made my day! +rep for good news all hard work and efforts.

How about difficulty settings in 2.6? Still H/H recommended?

MrCrapsley's Avatar Tiro

So how long are we looking at? Will it be released in time for me to spend my whole summer playing it and hyping myself up about Rome II? But whenever it is, great work guys, this mod is truly awesome!

We're planning on releasing end of this month.

We still need to do one last final test of all campaigns and could actually do with some more testers as we have very few so volunteers would be welcome but need to be committed and prepared to give regular reports. If you're interested please PM me, but please note we're only interested in serious testers.

Difficulty settings. .. interesting. I suspect that some people will really struggle even on M/M but it depends on the campaign, with some of the one turn roman campaigns being harder.
    Last edited by tone; July 04, 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Domesticus

So what's the big changes to the "grand" campaign? Playing as any faction with the changes that were presented in 2.5 with factions like Massilia? That is, building duration and costs modified?

Is 2.6 going to be a patch or a complete download or both?
    "I should like to see...the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest"

Loads of changes with traits, buildings and economics, unit stats, Battlefield textures, lighting, the whole one turn generic campaign has been transformed and made tougher for the player.
    The main difference is that the economic balance has been improved and it's made it really difficult for the players economy to snowball so even after say 50 years or more you can be working hard to keep income equipment equal to expenditure.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Old saves from 2.5
    won't be compatible to a new patch?

Quote Originally Posted by primipilaris View Post
    Old saves from 2.5 won't be compatible to a new patch?
    No, I'm afraid not. All the fixes and changes have fundamentally altered the structure of the files and trying to continue will almost definitely result in a CTD, I'm afraid.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

saneel's Avatar Senator

great idea, just dont make cavalry so cheap and fix those autogarrison troops only for capitals, its kind a annoying when a village of 500 people has 3000 strong garrison defending it.

No, I'm afraid not. All the fixes and changes have fundamentally altered the structure of the files and trying to continue will almost definitely result in a CTD, I'm afraid.
    Thanks for the answer, though presumable. I too incline to this opinion. At all it isn't believed that we at last will be able to wait so long-awaited patch.

At us in Russia Roma Surrectum very much love and watch all news, related.
    Last edited by Brusilov; July 08, 2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saneel View Post
    great idea, just dont make cavalry so cheap and fix those autogarrison troops only for capitals, its kind a annoying when a village of 500 people has 3000 strong garrison defending it.
    The cavalry are priced as they are so that the AI recruits them in reasonable proportion and thus fairly realistic armies are faced - we have to rely on the player to keep himself under control. Whilst I would otherwise completely agree with you from a finance/logistic view (and would like to see cavalry costs increased at least ten-fold), the AI simply wouldn't recruit them at all.

As to the Garrison Script - I appreciate it. You will have the option to reduce or delete it though, with the consequences as discussed previously.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

saneel's Avatar Senator

How other mods make cavalry useable the despite high cost? Its kind a annoying when you face parthian full chatarphach army turn after turn.

Civis

I PMed one of the mod developers about testing but he never got back to me, do you guys still need testers for v2.6?

I have the distinct luxury of spending about 12-13 hours gaming which I would gladly divert to testing, if the need is there for volunteers. I've beta tested a variety of MMOs in the past, so I know what I'm doing. And don't let my post count fool you, I've been around a long, long time. I just rarely find anything worth responding to anymore.

Further credentials can be presented if necessary.

Send me a PM with your email.

MDT's Avatar Decanus

How other mods make cavalry useable the despite high cost? Its kind a annoying when you face parthian full chatarphach army turn after turn.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how parthia is supposed to fight? Perhaps they should also have horse archers but I find those worse to fight then cataphracts.

I was puzzled at first when I saw cav prices, but I really love RS2 cav (though I don't know if the price influences this much), considering cav (but not only cav) RS2 is easiliy my favourite TW/Mod ever. I think it even clearly beats TATW now as I find the later releases of TATW less enjoyable than the first ones.

As to the costs - I can only confirm that the armies I have fought as Rome seem to have a sensible proportion of cavalry and often also a varied ratio so the armies are not all the same; so tone seems to have got the recruitment right, although I'd still quite like the Cavalry units to be a smidge smaller (so 25/50/100 as opposed to 30/60/120) to get the scales right. It might be that other mods have more discreet EDUs so the player has increased costs alone.

However, Parthia should be (and I've never got to fight them as Rome in the tests yet TBF) mostly HA with only a sprinkling of Cataphracts, so that is valuable knowledge and could be looked at.

I think part of the reason is that vanilla RTW has separate recruitment buildings for infantry, archers and cavalry as do most mods.....this is probably in part the reason.

jus2121's Avatar Foederatus

Will the marian reforms give the player significant bonusses in 2.6? in 2.5 the republican went to legions cohort but with nearly the exact same stats.Many players did not trigger the reform at all because it will eat the economy. Will the stats be different this time? And how about upkeep?

Quote Originally Posted by jus2121 View Post
    Will the marian reforms give the player significant bonusses in 2.6? in 2.5 the republican went to legions cohort but with nearly the exact same stats.Many players did not trigger the reform at all because it will eat the economy. Will the stats be different this time? And how about upkeep?
    If I may, because it's relevant to an ongoing discussion - can I ask why should the Marian Reforms result in any bonuses?

I'll also note that the Marian Reforms do nothing at all to the Economy - simply affecting the Units you can recruit. Phase 2 of those Reforms does something else (changed in v2.6 coming soon).

As something of a Roman aficionado, I would probably suggest that the 'Generic' cohort ought to have worse stats than the Polybian it replaces. Happy to discuss why I think that in a new thread if you wish.