Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker of the Curia

Default Speaker of the Curia

As many of you have perhaps noticed, i have been rather inactive in the Curia of late, and hardly participated in any debates. as this situation is one i forsee to continue for some time, i do not believe it tenable for me to hold a title i was granted over 2 years ago and have held ever since.

It is my plan therefore, to hereby abdicate the position of Speaker of the Curia, in favour of a sucessor chosen from among those few who best fit the requirements of the offiice.
    the Speaker of the Curia is a vocal defender of the Curia, and the Curias Rights and Powers, a strong and powerful figure who participates widely and seeks the furtherence of the greater glory of the Curia, and through that, the greater glory of TWC.

In many recent months... since as far back as the Decimvirate, there has been a rising wave of new civitates incredibly active in the curia, and furthering and refining the Syntagma. of all those notable names 4 alone stood out as being truely worthy of this title, though they need not be named.

of these, 1 had to be chosen, 1 name which commands respect and authority, one name which possesses the ability and wisdom, and a passion for the Curia to do the title justice.

Therefore, by the Power vested in me as Speaker of the Curia off TWC by the founder and former leader of the Civitates Opposition Party, i hereby abdicate the post, and confer upon The Burgundian Noble the title Speaker of the Curia of TWC, and all associated rights powers duties and responsibilities.

Default Re: Speaker of the Curia

huzzah for peacful transitions of power! Thanks for your service tBP, and congratulations to The Burgundian Noble.

Great.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

The post is more purely traditional than you make it sound....

Yeah, well, anyways. TBN can now claim to voice of all civitates. Yay. Seriously though, this was a smart move tBP. Congrats on a job well done and on to the next person.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Is the title "Speaker of the Curia" an actual rank/title? I don't know the specifics about this particular title.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    Is the title "Speaker of the Curia" an actual rank/title? I don't know the specifics about this particular title.
    No.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

"Great, you abdicated a post you never held."

Now, is that really necessary? The point is, he willingly abdicated, isnt this a time for resolution and celebration? Shouldnt you be glad, instead of feeling miffed?

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

The attitude of everyone here is really ******. I suggest you all grow up, and stop being so negative.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

True enough, RZZZA, true enough.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Is this passing of power not conditional on TBNs acceptance?
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

it was created by the Civitates Opposition Party to be held by their most vocal spokesman in defending the Curia from attacks by the staff and staff policy they were in opposition too. in those days, almost all the active members of the Curia who weren't staff were alligned with the party (don't think in terms of political parties and block voting, think in terms of a party of interests)

in more recent times, much like the English Great Officers of State, its roll in the curia has declined in importance, and been eclipsed by that of the Curator's staff - notably the Pro-Curator (ok, so the P-C is the Curators only staff member lol)

the need for it has also lestened with the curia no longer starkly divided between Curialist and Staff, Republican and Imperialist. boundaries that probably finally dissolved following the Decimvirate Panel...

@Justinian, the post has been held since march 2002, when it was created
    uits power is limited, but its responsibilities greater. responsibilities tghat TBN already admirably lived up to without the title.

@Spiff, i wouldn't really have posted if i hadn't talked to TBN first... but if he does choose not to accept, i do have 3 other candidates to choose from...

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Hrmm, it should be Mim, but whatever... there is really no reason to argue over a role with no power and is purely a thing for enjoyment. I guess if I do ever get back in staff I will have to give away my "*****y Senatorii" title. Hmm...
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

I'm sure TBN will be a great speaker of the Curia. I hold a lot of respect for him. :original:
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Surely the most wonderful thing about being a civitate is that we ALL have an equally respected voice in the Curia?

Who would claim to be first among equals?

Truly I am a speaker of the Curia, just as the newest member, just as the oldest.

yet at the same time no one can deny the statesmanship of either tBP or TBN.

I dont believe all civitates have an equally respected voice...in fact, I'm positive thats not the case at all. Perhaps in principle the rank is supposed to represent equality, but in practice it doesnt, there will always be civs more capable and less capable than others.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Truly I am a speaker of the Curia,
    No i am spartacus, i mean speaker.....Meh.

Regardless of how influential one man may be - it is an utter disgrace to encourage the influence of a single man over the power of democracy.

The vote, the voice the responsibilty are equally ours. And we all use it in different ways. Who among you can speak for everyone's views all at once?

And why would you want to? The Curia and democracy as a theory thrives on the competition between different states of mind.

Having one man speak for all eliminates that.

If at one point this rank was needed to keep order then fine. But right now i feel it both useless and an affront to all of our curial voices.

Romanos's Avatar Hey

Cool, cool lets have a little party and congrates TBN ?
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

Quote Originally Posted by rez
    Regardless of how influential one man may be - it is an utter disgrace to encourage the influence of a single man over the power of democracy.
    True.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Speaker of the Curia to me implies in the same was as in the house of commons the speaker is the person charged with enforcing the rules and such, not the voice of the opinions of the Curia.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast