Thread: Does the AI's ships and artillery have longer range than the players?

Default Does the AI's ships and artillery have longer range than the players?

Something that's been bugging me.

On a naval battle where I was the defender I put my ships in defensive position with their broadsides facing the enemy ships.

The AI moved in and then the ships turned and within seconds were attacking my fleet and were STILL out of range (I had the advanced AP rounds).

In land battles, there are times when I notice the enemy artillery is outside my zone (just outside) but they can still hit my own guns.

Anyone else see something similar?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: Does the AI's ships and artillery have longer range than the players?

They have better tech than you.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Does the AI's ships and artillery have longer range than the players?

Yes, it's called cheating AI. You'll see this in Empire was well where a regiment will stop and immediately open fire on your regiment while yours takes its sweet time rearranging itself before firing.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Depends on the type of shot they are using. In naval battles, different shot types have shorter/longer range than the others. There might also be certain traits/retainers that can increase range.

It'd be nice if they did. Then the AI wouldn't get slaughtered while I sit out of range of all their wooden cannons lol

No they dont.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

No they don`t.

Or I wouldn`t be wiping them out with ease. It`s just about knowing your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    They have better tech than you.
    I thought Advanced AP rounds were the best of the best?And like I said it's seconds before the fight begins and they always get the first shot in.

No they don`t.

Or I wouldn`t be wiping them out with ease. It`s just about knowing your game.
    I still kick the crap out of them but they always get the first shot off first.

Like I said, my guns would be sitting there waiting deployed while the AI moves in. The AI will stop just outside of the firing range, unload, and start bombing my own guns.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    I still kick the crap out of them but they always get the first shot off first.

Look at the situation. You are attacking them right? Right.

So you have to get to them. You may have 1 or 2 guns that fire front, but you need a broadside to increase your killing chances. If you head straight for them then you have to turn and face your broadsides to them.

They on the other hand have their entire broadside already facing you and so you get all the shells in your face first.

Simple logic. yes?

When I attack, I go on the far flanks where they almost never get first broadsides on me.

I have definitely not noticed the AI getting any magical range bonuses, nor have I had any real issues with units stopping to dance instead of firing (though it does happen every now and then if you move them in thin formations).

In naval engagements, the ship AI WILL NOT fire at the maximum range on fire at will if you are using armor penetrators. Armor penetrating ammunition has higher range but the auto-attack range for ships still says exactly the same when they're being used. You have to manually trigger broadsides to hit at the increased range (and the enemy AI always uses broadsides rather than fire at will so they don't have this problem).

Barser's Avatar Senator

AI ships seems to not fire at there maximum range if they have researched explosive shells. Thats because it have a shorter range if I am not mistaking. Same for AP rounds which is probably why you get outranged if you use that and the enemy uses the regular ammo. I always go for normal rounds first and get the first shot. Then I switch ammo when the AI gets closer.

With AI artillery I noticed them hitting me with wooden cannons a few times when they seem to far away to actually be able. Maybe the ai uses first person view .

______________Factionleaders and Generals mod__________________
    ______________________Agents-minimod____________________________

What's the range on Explosive Shells?

Any difference on AP shells/advanced?

How long does the ammunition last when toggled on? Until next salvo or until the CD renews?
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Look at the situation. You are attacking them right? Right.

So you have to get to them. You may have 1 or 2 guns that fire front, but you need a broadside to increase your killing chances. If you head straight for them then you have to turn and face your broadsides to them.

They on the other hand have their entire broadside already facing you and so you get all the shells in your face first.

Simple logic. yes?

When I attack, I go on the far flanks where they almost never get first broadsides on me.
    It goes both ways even when defending.

With AI artillery I noticed them hitting me with wooden cannons a few times when they seem to far away to actually be able. Maybe the ai uses first person view .
    I'm beginning to think that's what it is. If you use first person view on the artillery you can definitely shoot a lot farther.

I believe the range for AP rounds is shorter.
    I wouldn't know, as I've never ever researched it (The enemy doesn't use anything that requires AP rounds so why bother?)

No it doesn`t. You must be playing really badly to think that.

Fine. I was giving you the advice you need, not the advice you want. If yu don`t want it you shouldn`t even ask.

I feel this way too. Perhaps it's the ammo type as I stick my boats on ES during deployment. Haven't seen it with artillery though - if anything it's me outbombing the AI using FP.

Fine. I was giving you the advice you need, not the advice you want. If yu don`t want it you shouldn`t even ask.
    Way to impose yourself on the OP. He was discussing a gameplay observation not his naval tactics - and I don't see him specifically asking you for advice anywhere. Perhaps you're just offering advice you think he needed.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; May 13, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Ok seriously this is NOT a tactics thing. I am not failing badly at FOTS. I'm just wondering if anyone's noticed that the AI always gets the first shot off first?

Even with wooden cannons which AREN'T suppose to have longer range than the armstrong guns they are still capable of matching them range for range which doesn't make any sense.

When I'm defending the AI's artillery is always able to stop outside my own's artillery range and still hit them. Same with naval ships. The AI will charge straight towards me then turn left/right and still crack off the first shot despite the fact my own ships broadside was already facing it.