Thread: AAR --ROP rocks!

Default AAR --ROP rocks!

Before I begin, let me point out that I've made a few changes to 1.5:

1. Eastern factions such as Lydia and Babylon can produce Persian units, and “far” eastern factions such as Bactria can produce Indian units. Makes things more interesting until all of the faction-specific units can be done.

2. Athenian and Spartan generals are now (foot) hoplite units. Seems more historically accurate.

3. Have removed production times for all units (I like big battles)

I fought one of the best Total War battles I’ve ever fought (and I have fought way too many) . Felt like I was back in TW but with better graphics. Playing as Athens, I squared off with Sparta. With the exception of a few archers, the combatants were hoplites (including the generals). The Spartans were on the defensive, set up on a ridgeline. I slowly approached them with my long line of hoplites, trying my best to perform a crude oblique movement on the Spartan right flank. They shifted their line to the left at just the right moment, allowing them to overlap my right flank. They pounced before I could adjust, so I sent my left wing in to hit their newly exposed right flank. A long, general, grinding phalanx battle ensued, and the Spartans’ superior training began to wear me down. Just as my Athenians began to break, my reinforcements arrived. I rallied a few units and combined these with the fresh troops to form a new phalanx line, which held off the well-formed but exhausted Spartan formation. Awesome!

The campaign is equally as good. I’ve managed, after many defeats, to wear down Sparta, but I’m being attacked by Tara (she has landed armies on my shores at two different locations). Macedonia, also, is attacking from the north. The latter had driven me back to Athens, and, after a short siege, they attempted to an assault. I routed them, and now the tables have turned; the way north looks clear. But if it weren’t for those damn Taran armies landing on my beaches!

Well done, ROP!!!!

ps. This AAR proves that you DO NOT need much unit variety to have great, historically accurate battles. You need historically accurate units, and that's all.
    Last edited by EarlofWarwick; June 21, 2006 at 09:33 AM.

Default Re: AAR --ROP rocks!

thanks very much for the report! were glad you liked the mod.

If anyone else has stories they wish to share please post away!