Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots, Videos, Fanart, AARs

Default Re: Screenshots, Videos, Fanart, AARs

AAR from an epic battle.

In this battle I played the totally outnumbered conferderates with about 4000 soldiers in my own army and 1700 soldiers from my ally, who is fighting on my left side. We faced a large union army with over 9000 soldiers.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My general Stonewall took position on a hilltop with artillery and his lifeguards, the stonewall brigade.

In the far background you can see the cannons of my ally firing on long range already.

The conferderates are in a rather defending position because of the high number of the union army. To still have a bit of initiative, the regulars are moving out towards the enemy to create a first line of defence.

The enemy general Ulysses Grant is rapidly moving towards my line.

The opponent artillery has a much more wider range and is already shooting.

Finally the enemy comes into range of my 32lb howitzers. In the far background you can see the union forces already have a close range battle with my ally. How long will they hold through?

The union has a tight massive formation as they come into musket range.

The center of my first line shooting volley for volley and trying to hold the enemies off, who come closer...

…as the union make a bayonet charge on my lousiana tigers on the left flank. In the background you can see the hill where my ally fights for his life. The battle hardened tigers can repell the charge...

…but suddenly my ally's troops broke and falling back towards my lines

bringing with them a massive amount of union soldiers

to my left flank (on the right on this picture).

The weakened and tired lousiana tigers see themselves again in a bayonet charge, this time much more massive. They cant hold it a second time.

When the first line brakes (its used to be there where the canon shots just hit on the right), the leftovers of the first defence trying to reposition at the second line of defence, trying to hold them off from there.

Short time after, the second line sees itself in brutal bayonet fights already.

The third and last line of defence, two brigades of the stonewall regiment, taking position. If the second line breakes, they are the last men standing.

The second line is shooting until the battlefield is full of smoke. And they are able to fight the main wave of the unions back!

The union general tries to gather his last troops on the small hill to my left flank to have a final risky attack.

To prevent him from gathering too much of his left-overs and make the final push, I take the initiative again and send my Hood's Texans towards them.

As these veterans finally drive the generall and his last men off the battlefield

On the end of the day, the battlefield is full of dead bodies. Only a few of my own brigades are left and still hold the hill.

Victory!

Last edited by Nugiman; May 31, 2014 at 04:01 AM.

That is a really nice battle you foght there. Good screens too. Thanks for sharing

Cool thread dude

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Great battle Nugi!

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Hardcore uniform variety in the Confederates, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferM View Post
    Hardcore uniform variety in the Confederates, I like it.
    Just the tip of the iceberg... most Union units are different in one way or another between the weapons, uniform or equipment, while every single CSA unit has a completely different uniform type and colour pattern, ontop of equipment and weapon differences.

Accurately modeled weapons (many different muskets, repeaters, pistols, bayonets, carbines, sharpshooter rifles, swords etc)
    Accurately modeled equipment (pouches, packs, holsters, spurs, blanket rolls, sacks, canteens etc per unit type - infantry, zouaves, cavalry, artillery)
    Accurately modeled uniforms (jacket types (frock coats, sack coats, shell jackets) colour patterns accurate to local depot. Shoes, boots, puttees. Hats (kepis, forage caps, slouch hats, hardees hats and many many many more) plus unit insignia and belt buckles, rank insignia etc...)
    Last edited by pappagoat; November 02, 2014 at 11:16 PM.

Run Forest RUUUUN ! (screen from my Shiloh battle)

New computer = awesome pic

Good stuff! Keep 'em coming!

Part 1: More to come

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3zOhebk85I

P.S. Next video will be of much better quality, I'm new to uploading videos to youtube. Just figured out the correct settings for the best quality.
    Last edited by tikijoetots37; December 30, 2014 at 01:07 PM.

Holy **** Tiki that was one massive rout, but a very enjoyable video. My laptop couldn't handle such huge battles, so they're amazing for me to see.
    You absolutely must do more videos. Not, if practicable, but at any cost!

I was a bit concerned at first cause the menu screen is not supposed to look like that (the square with the buttons over another background), but then realised it must have been because of your high resolution, that it gets distorted like that.

For some constructive criticism, however.

As the video viewer, all I got to see was long lines of men walking and shooting from afar in a somewhat cloudy dark environment. Was a bit hard on the eyes. How bout zooming in on a unit, then counting to five, while we get to watch men fight and die from close up, see some uniform variety and details and take some time to take it all in? Same with cavalry, cannons, generals. All these historic details we put into units, and here we only got to see them zoomed out. Maybe you could coment on units a bit too? Any personal anecdotes with any regiments you've had? Each unit's history is there if you right click on it. Why you like some or dislike others?

And regarding strategy... You didn't ever check what guns any regiment of yours is using (by right clicking). Since some guns are better close up than others (Class 1 to 3), you could adjust strategy to that, perhaps. A unit will rout fast if flanked, if shot into the side or back. A C3 gun is deadly close up, while a C1 is better for maximum range. You saw the AI flank like that, but you hardly did. You used dismounted cavalry very well in the opening phase, but later just left two units mounted and standing still while eating enemy musket and cannon fire, which are sure to decimate them. Line units are best kept in a coherent line, with a couple of them guarding the flanks. Then try to roll up his flank as soon as you see some of his units breaking or the AI will do that exact thing to you.

We have reduced the amount of guns per battery already and also toned down cannon effectiveness. But the enemy shelled you with shrapnel, while you only threw solid balls at him. You've got options with ammo there, use 'em to your advantage and make him hurt. You coulda charged his guns with flanking cavalry too if you sent two units there, one to tackle his cav, while the other would take out the guns.

Also, I like your house rule reg. replenishing units only in own territory. I'll use that in my campaigns too. I often use some battlefield house rules as well, such as advancing units in column formation, then spreading them into line just out of firing range, then moving double quick into firing range, as it was historically. Then halting fire of own units if any friendly unit could be hit by friendly fire and as a bit of "unpredictability factor" sometimes if some enemy unit routs, I send my infantry into a charge after them, even if it's disadvantageous (as such insubordination was depicted in the Bull Run battle in Gods and Generals)

But anyhow, good video there and am looking forward to the next one!

Thanks for the feedback trig! I'll definitely heed your advice on getting more close up shots and lighten up the video settings a bit more. I've read that you tube tends to darken things through the encoding process. It was my first time using this recording software and am still in the learning phase of making such videos. I'll keep em coming as soon as the New Years over. I've got three loud kiddos at home until they head back to school. Anyways, Happy New Year to you and the team!

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Also, I like your house rule reg. replenishing units only in own territory. I'll use that in my campaigns too
    As far as I know there was a small LUA mod by T.C. (or Topcat) for Empire which did exaclty this. Might be worth a look and a implemention for future updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPdtpX_IN0g

Part 2 of my lets play:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPdtpX_IN0g
    Part 3 coming as soon as its done uploading. Had a battle crash at the end of this one because I thought I could mess with the graphics settings. Battle will be finished of in part 3!
    Last edited by tikijoetots37; January 06, 2015 at 08:41 PM.

Part 3!

Longest battle ever.. I see the AI isn't being foolish. I got though a question after seeing the video. I think one should have a cap amount of ammo for the artillery. I know that the regiments have the green bar of ammo.. Could it be possible to do the same for cannons. That is if the game mechanics allows it.

Also if this would be possible to creat a supply wagon unit, to represent supplies, ammo, food. Again if the coders can do it. Just a suggestion.
    Reason for that is. You can't win a war with an empty stomach, or no ammo.

I believe cannons are hard coded to have unlimited ammo, at least I know its that way in napoleon.

Quote Originally Posted by tikijoetots37 View Post

Part 3!
    Looks spectacular!