Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: [ACW] Feedback & Discussion Thread

Default Re: [Version 3] Feedback & Discussion Thread

Battles work pretty well. The campaign doesn't seem to really give me much of a challenge. The Confederacy never builds any units. Is there a difficulty level that gives the best challenge?

A few things i have noticed, the CSA units seem to out number the USA units. While in 2.6 it was the other way around. Also saw that the research button was missing(im guessing it was done on purpose). And in the campeign i had started i just fought a battle to take Richmond and after the battle got a CTD. But the battle itself was extremely fun, i love the new sounds for muskets and that the Lightning brigade has repeaters now.

Default Re: Corrupt file?

I'm off to bed now, as 7 hours later, it tells me the file I dowloaded was corrupted! 7zip and winrar tell me that "There are insufficent system resources":
    ! C:\Documents and Settings\Simon\My Documents\Downloads\ACW3Beta_setup.zip: Read error in the file C:\Documents and Settings\Simon\My Documents\Downloads\ACW3Beta_setup.zip
    Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
    ! C:\Documents and Settings\Simon\My Documents\Downloads\ACW3Beta_setup.zip: CRC failed in ACW3B01_setup.exe. The file is corrupt

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks for all the hard work gentlemen!

Hmmmmmm... So, when I start the CS campaign, all nations absolutely love me to death, I am richer than the Mexican drug cartels, and the us wants an alliance. I am sure this is not correct, but the reason as to why this is happening eludes me. Quite humorously so.

Great work guys, SALUTE! But in camp. mode playing as to us it seems the CSA dos not make armies, and recruiting generals works but not getting the time released characters. I know its still WIP. Thanks to the team that took the time to make this for us all to enjoy. I have always thought of a ACW version since i first played ETW vanilla on its release date. Cant wait for navy battles. Great job!
    Sir Godfrey de Ibelin

For you guys having trouble with extracting the zip file:

the extension at the end looks like this .zip'

select the file, rename it to take away the apostrophe at the end of zip, IE: .zip

Windows will ask you if you really want to change the extension, say yes, right click on the file and choose "extract here" from the 7-zip contextual menu.

Worked for me....hope it helps

filefactory.com
    Its free account gives a speed of over 100.
    Last edited by Ensis1410; May 14, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

After downloading the program (second time) the program crashes every time I try to start it up. I restarted etc. and nothing seems to work, I'm at a loss now. All I see is the opening screen and then it simply crashes. Any ideas?

Great work! Looks good, lots of fun to play. Love the Warpath map. I too ran into a CSA that did not seem to recruit units at all.

I was able to get the mod up and running without any issues, however, experienced the dreaded end-turn app crash after about 8 turns or so. I'll fire it up again tomorrow after work and see if it was a one time thing.

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into this amazing mod!

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

For all of you that have some start-up issues, please go to technical help thread and post your problems in appropriate thread...

some general info:
    1) research button is missing on purposes, technology will be addressed in later add-ons
    2) missing of some units (sharpshooters, CSA Irish volunteers) is also intentional I believe, if not Shokh will inform you otherwise - if so, then you have done something wrong with installation or we have done something to the files
    2.1) Regarding the CAI not recruiting the units... it seems this is little foggy... even different members of the team have different results on it. it will surely be looked into, and fixed, if such approach will be needed.
    3) detailed instructions on almost every aspect of the installing of the game can be found on the forum; just look for it
    4) before installing, I would really recommend that you do a fresh install of empire tw and remove all the files that could maybe remain in your folder during uninstall (that is if you aren't to attached to other mods etc). although, our mod is mod-foldered and there shouldn't be any conflicts, these things can happen so it is good to take some precautionary measures...
    5) i know you are all excited and want to get playing asap, but don't double-post people. use your edit buttons, please

All in all, we ask you to be patient... As it is beta and first release, some hick-ups are to be expected...

For Comrade Chernov:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If you're talking about WinRaR file format .rar then there are 3 main reasons why you get this error
    1) The file you have is not .rar file.It could be some junk file which ends like .rar(but in reality it is not).
    E.G.
    I can take a movie .avi file and instead of .avi type .rar...of course that file won't work
    so..If you downloaded that file from somebody,it could be junk
    2) If you used FireFox to download the file,do not "play" too much while file is downloading.try to avoid "pause" and "resume" options.Just leave it to download without interruptions. rar file is very sensitive because it is highly encrypted.If something VERY VERY little goes wrong during download,the WHOLE file becomes useless.
    3)person who UPLOADED the .rar file made the mistake described on #2
    For more advances users.Here is how to find out if the file is really .rar or it's junk.

take the corrupt .rar file and add .txt extention in the end.Do not delete anything.
    E.g. if your rar name was this_istesting123.rar now it'll look like this_istesting123.rar.txt
    Double click to open the file.Notepad will show up because it's text file.
    NOTE: if your file is large,like 100MB PLEASE BE PATIENT because it may take up to 5 MINUTES to open that huge encrypted notepad.
    Once you have it open look at the first line.if you see something like this
    " Rar! ϐs " then your file is real .rar file and it is NOT junk.Probably your connection was interrupted during download and file just got corrupt.Re-downloading the file will fix the problem.Please don't forget about #2 problem.
    Hope this helps.Bye.
    Note: There are comments associated with this question. See the discussion page to add to the conversation.

This should fix it for you... I hope... I rhink that 3rd option isn't the case, if it were, no one could extract the file... so I believe it is the first two somewhere... gain, sorry for inconvenience...

To solve any possible problems with UAC, go here (if you haven't done it already). I wonder how you didn't came across it yet. M2TW engine regularly requires disabling it when playing most of mods. I don't know how it is with empire, but it could help.

Last edited by Minas Moth; May 14, 2012 at 02:05 AM.

OK, I played through August 1861 as the Confederacy in Warpath. Here's what I've got so far:

General Feedback

- You did a really nice job with the Chronicle entries - in future patches I'd love to see one mentioning the Baltimore Riots and the efforts in Maryland to isolate DC through guerrilla action/rail sabotage. This was potentially fatal for the Union effort early on and most certainly spurred war tensions onward as it was.

- I saw screens/video of railways and trains on the campaign map in what I thought was an earlier build. Was this removed or not implemented in 3.0 for some reason? I want to make sure I have the right version and that I'm running the mod as intended.

Diplomacy and Events, Possible Bugs

- As others have noted, CSA income seems pretty robust, like 25,000 to start; is the USA blessed with even more?

- Is war triggered by an event, or do I have to do it manually? I declared war on the USA manually when the Chronicles said the CSA did historically, then wondered if that was a mistake when a turn or two later a new Chronicle said 'The War Erupts'. The USA seemed awfully pleased with me and I didn't get the impression war was going to happen unless I forced it - since then, the USA hasn't built any units (see my campaign bugs thread post). Maybe include a little advice bubble at the start walking the player through how the campaign models the war going hot and what if anything they need to do - although I did turn advice off before I began, I hope that isn't a problem.

- Diplomacy: a few turns in, Mexico declared war on me; I bought peace with 10k gold and never saw any enemy armies. Several countries kept trying early on to get me to cede them major swaths of my territory for trade deals when we were already at trade. I began the game allied with the Dutch of all people, which they promptly rescinded. When I finally declared war on the USA on the historically noted turn, it turned out they were allied with Mexico, the Inuits and Colombia. They all declared war on me. I bought Mexico off for about 10k again, but Columbia and the Inuits had zero interest in peace even for large sums of cash. Again, never saw hostile troops, except an Inuit fleet raided one of my sea lanes! As of August '61, there is a Dutch fleet with a big army on board in the Gulf of Mexico making a beeline for Nawlins - smacks of a surprise invasion. My pre-release impression was that the team was leaning towards strictly controlling non-US/CS AI behavior so that they wouldn't weirdly get involved like this - things seem a little screwy in general on the diplomacy front.

Overall, it is a beautiful looking mod, very crisp. I think either something is wrong with my version of files and such (pretty sure it was a clean install, no past ETW mods) or there needs to be some further tightening of the 'meta game' with politics and diplomacy. The good news is I played one custom battle, and it nearly literally blew me away. As a newcomer to the Blue and the Grey, I was actually a little scared by the supreme presence of the sound effects for riflery and artillery! The future looks bright for the 3.0-3.3 line of patches; congratulations, thank you, and keep up the great work, team!

Good morning, itīs 10am here and i try to answer the different questions made here in the meanwhile.

1) File will not unzip
    I guess it have to do with a corrupt download. Iīm starting uploading now to other sites.

2) Download speed
    See above, iīm uploading now.

3) Launcher message "Nonvanilla files in data folder"
    Yes i have this message too, but didnīt made any problems till now. Maybe a problem between the language versions of the game even when chosen english?

4) Missing Units like sharpshooter, state militia, Cavalry is only melee
    Sharpshooter and Engineers where taken out for now because of balancing issues.
    Also this is the reason for cavalry is now a melee unit. The AI used them like a line infantry without skirmishing. You can dismount them to fire.
    State Militia isnīt removed, they are now the garisson units which appear when an enemy attack your city.

5) Keep an eye on the 3.1 Patch thread I will update it with stuff posted in the tech forums from time to time.

AFC98's Avatar Civis

I hope that the other download sites are up wthin the hour, I have school soon......
    www.youtube.com/user/whenipwnedu Look here for great Total War "let's Play" videos and Total War Machcinima!

@ Ensis1410
    Close the launcher now, then launch vanilla ETW and start a campaign.
    If it works start acw again with the launcher and try it now, it should work now.

@ Caius Bingerus
    We investigate this now, strange that it didnīt happen at everyone.
    This will be something for a hotfix from our side.

@ AFC98
    The main part is at 95% now, music part will need some more time.

This should be a better download link.
    Part 1 (main) - recommend
    Part 2 (music) will follow then.

Default Awesome job

I haven`t been playing Empire for years but since Iīm interested in ACW I thought I give it a try again . You guys really did an awesome job and I think Iīll quit playing Shogun for a while .
    One question : In order to play a campaign I need to have that Warpath thing installed ,right ? I checked my steam account for downloadable content but it doesn`t show any . Is it only available on retail ?

Default Re: Awesome job

Quote Originally Posted by Elchnase View Post
    I haven`t been playing Empire for years but since Iīm interested in ACW I thought I give it a try again . You guys really did an awesome job and I think Iīll quit playing Shogun for a while .
    One question : In order to play a campaign I need to have that Warpath thing installed ,right ? I checked my steam account for downloadable content but it doesn`t show any . Is it only available on retail ?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/10..._7_7_151_150_1

delmat's Avatar Tiro

I don't know..I don't want to sound ungrateful but maybe I was expecting too much..obviously a lot of work and effort were put into this mod but it doesn't look as I thought&hoped it would

campaign is a bit boring because enemy is not building any units and diplomacy is weird, but I'm not focused primarily on the campaign anyway..custom battles are what I was most excited about but not for long when I saw some units missing (no csa irish volunteers, state militias, hampton's legion and engineers, gregg&orphan brigade look exactly the same to me, no union zouaves reskin)..
    other than that, other units look pretty well and realistic (for example the visual difference between volunteer and regular infantry is made very good for both sides, and that new german union unit looks also very good)..music and generally the sound effects are also great and they give that specifical civil war feeling..I would say:
    + music and sound effects, civil war feeling, some units look perfect, campaign events
    - strange campaign, too much expected, unit variety is worse than the previous version (I don't count those general cavalry units)

Overall I don't find this version much better and more complete than the previous one which I thought was very good..I thought this would be almost totally new mod, with new units and new content that would make the previous work almost perfect (I'm not talking about stability issues and CTD's that are unavoidable, but just about the mod contents and unit variety)
    This is written only to help you and give you one opinion, not to criticize your work and efforts and sorry if I was hard on some things I trust that you will correct and adress some of these issues in the later patches and thank you again for your time, work and efforts!

i got a feeling this first release was for warpath only cause i cant play the campaign, but i can play battles

Thanks for your feedback.

Iīve stated out multiple times that 3.0 when released will have lesser included then 2.6 had for example, and warned about expecting too much.
    Planned was that 3.1 will bring it on the same level but more stable, and then further patches will even more improve it till we can say we reached a final version.

Now we have to change a bit, as next stage we have to fix the campaign issues, which shouldnīt need that long. As i said before give us around a week or two to do this.
    Some may think why didnīt then they just fixed 2.6? Well it wouldnīt be the same, but to see this you will have to see what the version look like when patched up.

So thats the roadmap for the nearer future:
    1.) Ensure that all can play it (wasnīt in 2.6).
    2.) Fix whatelse need a fix.
    3.) Fill up the then working version with more content.

I liked this idea more and found it more viable then push back the release for months but then deliver the whole thing at a time. Itīs nice to involve the community, because 1000 eyes see more then 10 would.