Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3863787980818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1776

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Not even Ngugi's answer is what I'm looking for! In fact his guess for the last riddle was closer (hinthint)
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Let's play serious for a change:

Old Man River Willow

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Indeed, but how did he rule?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

now, you made me even more confused

on a first instance I too assumed Tom was the right answer, but actually it is never said that he is the master of the Old Forest (he did not command directly the trees or the animals in it, for instance; it is obvious, by his character, that he did not command the attack of the trees to the Hedge, etc). It is said that Tom is the master of "wood, water and hill", but I assume that it means that he has the power to affect all the living beings in the country he picked for himself (which is not just the Old Forest, but at least a part of the Barrow Downs too; I assume he picked these lands because of the bad fame they had, so that he would not be bothered by men or hobbits).

The only other "power" I reckon in the Old Forest is the Old Man Willow; it is said that its dwelling (the Withywindle valley) is "the heart of all the strange happenings in the Old Forest" and that the OMW "seemed to have some measure of control over the forest, inspiring much of the anger that permeated the limbs of the trees" (depending on the interpretations of the legendarium, the OMW could be a Huorn); IIRC he controlled the other trees via its roots and via all the water that is flowing through the old forest and that gathered in the Withywindle stream (where its roots lied)

edit: Ninjad by the good Vet, it took me too much to write my answer I think I answered to the second part of the question; if needed I can expand
    Last edited by Flinn; October 24, 2016 at 08:32 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Sonny, I will concede this one to you as you gave the complete answer, if Mhaedros agrees of course.

Besides, you already repped me in, what again will be, a failed attempt to get me to change red for blue.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

let's Mhaed decide, and in any case I don't have a good question ATM

ps. you are not red now anyways, what color is the Censor?? Crappy brown??
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Tell you what, I'll rep you both You are of course correct about the Old Man Willow and his power over the water. We'll let Flinn take the next question, as his answer was the most complete.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fellowship of the Ring, In the House of Tom Bombadil
    None were more dangerous than the Great Willow; his heart was rotten, but his strength was green; and he was cunning, and a master of winds, and his song and thought ran through the woods on both sides of the river. His grey thirsty spirit drew power out of the earth and spread like fine root-threads in the ground, and invisible twig-fingers in the air, till it had under its dominion nearly all the trees in the Forest from the Hedge to the Downs.

Blog Entries

ah specifically it used air too, I forgot about that, my bad

argh, now you put me in a difficult situation; let's see

not a hard one, it needs just a bit of memory: apart from the House of Tom and the Dingle (Withywindle valley), which other specific place of the Old Forest we know of?
    Last edited by Flinn; October 24, 2016 at 10:12 AM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    ah specifically it used air too, I forgot about that, my bad

argh, now you put me in a difficult situation; let's see

not a hard one, it needs just a bit of memory: apart from the House of Tom and the Dingle (Withywindle valley), which other specific place of the Old Forest we know of?
    the place where the bucklander burnt many trees afther the trees assalied them
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Blog Entries

indeed, it is called the Bonfire Glade; your turn and your rep

Citizen

who was the power of terror and of hate and what seeds did he sow?

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Blog Entries

mm again, my subscription here went to the green fields.. mhe

anyhow, I assume you refer to Melkor (Morgoth) and to the seeds of discord and mistrust he sow after he was released from imprisonment and freed on Valinor; specifically he alluded to the "realms of middle earth that were awaiting the Elves" or to the fact that "the Valar were holding the Elves in Aman to allow the Atani to rule the middle earth" and so on.

Citizen

mm again, my subscription here went to the green fields.. mhe

anyhow, I assume you refer to Melkor (Morgoth) and to the seeds of discord and mistrust he sow after he was released from imprisonment and freed on Valinor; specifically he alluded to the "realms of middle earth that were awaiting the Elves" or to the fact that "the Valar were holding the Elves in Aman to allow the Atani to rule the middle earth" and so on.
    very close but not the exact answer I was looking for but you are VEEEEEEEERTY close
    if you need a hint just tell me
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; November 09, 2016 at 09:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    very close but not the exact answer I was looking for but you are VEEEEEEEERTY close
    if you need a hint just tell me
    I don't have any extra clue, so yes a hint will be welcomed

Citizen

I don't have any extra clue, so yes a hint will be welcomed
    read the end of the silmarilon

Blog Entries

*cough cough* well sorry for not being back before but I was busy with other stuff; I can't recall what's written at the end of the Silmarillion and reading it would be petty for me, so if anyone else would like to finish the answer, please do so.

I'll remit this rep point to the meritable ones with pleasure

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

It appears that we shall not get an exact answer to this question- I do not think I could provide a better one than the one given.

The thread serves its purpose though, even when only few are playing it, for others read and learn- even I have seen three or four questions that I did not know the answer for or where to look to find it, so it is all good. Hence I shall necro it somewhat and bring it back to life by a new question before it dies entirely.

It is a fairly easy one:

Which stories did Tolkien himself consider his great ones? How many and their names to be specific.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    It appears that we shall not get an exact answer to this question- I do not think I could provide a better one than the one given.

The thread serves its purpose though, even when only few are playing it, for others read and learn- even I have seen three or four questions that I did not know the answer for or where to look to find it, so it is all good. Hence I shall necro it somewhat and bring it back to life by a new question before it dies entirely.

It is a fairly easy one:

Which stories did Tolkien himself consider his great ones? How many and their names to be specific.
    see that is a question I dont known the answer to and will happly learn from the good answer

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I could be totally wrong here, but I think I remember reading that he thought his great work would be the Silmarillion, with three particular stories more fleshed out - the story of Turin, the story of Beren and Luthien and the fall of Gondolin. So I guess that's my answer.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

The Father Christmas Letters on one hand, naturally, and I bet the epic lyric of The Cat and the Moon, found in that other compilation, what was it called, LotR?, whatever; let's sing!

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory