Page 64 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1439545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1776

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Praeses

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Sorry guys I'm away for the weekend, so I'll hand it back to Bercor.

The answer I was looking for was four of Lobelia Sackville Baggins, Rose Cotton, Farmer Maggot's wife, Goldberry, Ioreth, Ioreth's kinswoman and Shelob. I think Galadriel, Arwen, Eowyn and Queen Beruthiel were all princesses or Queens. Aslon Aragorn's mum and a few other princesses and Queens get a guernsey in the Appendices.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Very well, I can make another. What's the name of the two Maiar that took care of Anar and Isil, respectively, and why were they chosen for the task?
    Last edited by Bercor; February 28, 2014 at 08:03 AM.

Greymane's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    Very well, I can make another. What's the name of the two Maiar that took care of Anar and Vanyar, respectively, and why were they chosen for the task?
    First of all, Vanyar is not the name of the Moon. Isil is what the Vanyar called the moon
    The Noldor named the Moon Rána and the Sun Vása.
    If that is the question:
    The Mayar that were chosen to guide the vessels were named Tilion (Moon) and Arien (Sun).
    Arien was chosen because she tended the garden of Vána with it's golden flowers and simply because she could stand the heat of the Sun.
    Tilion was chosen because of his love of Silver and because he begged to steer the vessel bearing the last fruit of the Silver Tree (forgot the name... Telperion? Or the other one?).

Ups. That's what you get for just glancing through the text.

Correct. If only you, Duke and me answer the questions we'll have a problem, because I can't rep you right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    Ups. That's what you get for just glancing through the text.

Correct. If only you, Duke and me answer the questions we'll have a problem, because I can't rep you right now.

It's the same for me.
    We need to get more people in somehow
    Or we should start to randomly rep others until more people enter this thread again

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

just tell me who is missing the rep and it will be my pleasure to do it, but don't stop to play guys

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    just tell me who is missing the rep and it will be my pleasure to do it, but don't stop to play guys

That would be me. And please, do stop by again to anwser some questions. Three people and the occasional visitor is already getting boring

Going to make a new post for the question, just because of the notification (if I make any of you mods angry, feel free to merge )

The question:
    Who are the two grandfathers of Eärendil and how did they die?

cowsaresomething's Avatar Foederatus

Eärendil is a grandson of King Turgon, who died defending Gondolin. He is a also grandson of Huor, who was killed by a poisoned arrow through the eye in Nírnaeth Arnoediad, in a last stand party and rearguard that allowed Turgon and the elves of Gondolin to escape.
    Last edited by cowsaresomething; February 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Missing A Definite Article

Quote Originally Posted by cowsaresomething View Post
    Eärendil is a grandson of King Turgon, who died defending Gondolin. He is a also grandson of Huor, who was killed by a poisoned arrow through the eye in Nírnaeth Arnoediad, in a last stand party and rearguard that allowed Turgon and the elves of Gondolin to escape.
    Correct. Your turn to ask

Sorry for taking so long - I didn't have Internet access over the weekend.

Hopefully this is just a quick one.
    Of the Istari, which ones were allowed to return to Valinor? Of those who were denied access to the Undying Lands, why were they not permitted to return?

Blog Entries

as I love the story about the Istari, I'd like to take this answer

The only one that we know for sure went back to Valinor was of course Gandalf, because in fact he was the only one to remain loyal and to stick with the original mission they had.

We all know about Saruman and his utter failure, and, as his body was killed in ME, it is pretty clear he never went back.

Radagast, was reported to remain faithful for a certain time, but as the years passed by, he lost his interest in the War and Sauron and only took care of the beasts that were his friends; though it is said that he failed in his mission it is not reported if he was lately admitted again in Valinor (which seemes to me proper, as even to Melkor and Sauron was offered a chance to redeem).

The story about the so called Blue Wizards, who went to the east of ME and never came back, is pretty vague, but it appears that they have both failed, possibly becoming servants of Sauron (I always tought that the great influence of Sauron on Rhun and other eastern peoples was due to some strong emissary he had them, maybe one or even both the Blue wizards) or that they built up cultes on their own, trying to copy Sauron as Saruman lately did. To add flavour, it is also told that from them, after the fall of Sauron, on the east of ME spreaded out "dark" cultes somewhat connected to their fall (but on some notes it is also said that they possibly succeded to hold the grip of Sauron in the East and actively helped the Free People to win the war, though to me it is clear that, despite of what happened, they both fell and haven't returned to Valinor).
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

@Flinn

Precisely what I was looking for. It is your turn.

Blog Entries

mmm let's remain on a somewhat dark matter, the Druedain:

who where the only two known characters from this people? what was their story?

I only found info about one - Ghan-buri-ghan who is known for aiding king Theoden on his journey to Minas Tirith but i couldn find anything about any other druedain. Hope someone else makes it

Here we go
    I'm not able to edit my posts so i will have to double post, sorry.
    The second druedain is Aghan who was known for his healing powers and when he was called away to heal, he left behind a carved figure that supposetly came alive and saved Barach's family from orcs. I hope that info is correct and that it is what you were looking for.

Blog Entries

basically correct, let's go on

Who stole stole the last 2 silmarils from Morgoth's crown and what happened to him/them later?

The last two Silmarils were recovered from Melkor Morgoth's crown by a servant of Manwe, actually. I presume though that you are asking about Maedhros and Maglor, Feanor's last two sons. They stole the Silmarils from the Valar to fulfill their oath and gain their inheritance, but the Silmarils burned them because they were impure.

Maedhros threw himself into a fiery pit, with his Silmaril. Maglor threw his Silmaril into the sea. He then wandered around ME singing songs of lament, until he disappeared.

Morale of the story - do not steal Silmarils.
    Yes, they are.

Exactly what i was asking for Good job, your turn