The Order would be
Sauron (he held it for 1600-ish years in the 2nd Age)
The faithful Numenorians were those who remained elf-friends and got along poorly with the king and the King's Men.
I haven't been able to find anything specific but I would guess the sails would be black in memory of something such as the sacrifices of the Faithful and others in Dark rights or the loss of their home.
It could also have something to do with the stars of Elbereth and signify their friendship with the elves.
Without finding a specific quote though I am pulling at straws. This is a hard one.
Well, I had to do some searching, but I found two references to black sails.
In greater numbers they come then: two ships or more together, stuffed with men and not goods, and ever one of the accursed ships hath black wings. For that is the Ship of the Dark, and in it they bear away evil booty, captives packed like beasts, the fairest women and children, or young men unblemished, and that is their end. Some say that they are eaten for meat; and others that they are slain with torment on the black stones in the worship of the Dark. Both maybe are true.I imagine the second bit is what you're looking for, but wanted to post the first too.Then suddenly fear and the memory of old tales came uponTal-Elmar again, and he quailed.' What would you do to me?' he cried. 'Would you lure me to the black-winged boat and give me to the Dark?' 'You or your kin at least belong already to the Dark,' they answered. 'But why do you speak so of the black sails? The black sails are to us a sign of honour, for they are the fair night before the coming of the Enemy, and upon the black are set the silver stars of Elbereth.The black sails of our captain have passed further up the water.'
Last edited by StealthFox; August 15, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Okay, for a change I thought I would ask movie based questions. These are fairly easy, so I'll ask several questions, two for each movie.
1. How did Sean Bean (Boromir) get to certain filming locations like the Misty Mountains and Caradhras?
2. How do the Hobbits get their first weapons?
3. Merry and Pippin have an "encounter" upon fighting over the ent draught. Who/what do they encounter and who saves them?
4. What are Legolas' and Gimli's kill count at Helms Deep?
5. At the Black Gate Aragorn fights a troll, but it wasn't intended to be this way at first. How was it originally intended?
6. What is the last line and who says it in the RotK?
1. He climbed; he was terrified of choppers so every morning he would get up at 4-5 and climb up the mountain they where shooting at
2. Aragorn gave the weapons to them at the Prouncing Pony
3. It's the Grumpy Old Willow who swallows them, but in a couple of seconds Treebeard comes along and saves them (original idea from the Tom Bombadil chapter in FotR)
4. Gimli: 43 Legolas: 42
5. The troll was supposed to be Sauron, but PJ and the team didn't like it, so they used the scenes made with Aragorn fighting the Dark One and animated a armoured troll instead of Sauron
6. "Well....I'm back" Sam says to his beloved wife Rose
Darn I'm nerdy
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)