Page 47 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2237383940414243444546474849505152535455565772 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Ioreth, talking to Gandalf after the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
    But then again, Elrond also said something on the same lines, sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

That is correct, Ioreth in the Houses of Healing! Welcome to the game Bladvak, glad to see a new player. Your turn to ask a question

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

good guys, glad to see we have other players

let's post the next question then

F
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Adding Rep like the "Who am I" will make the rep-whores play (and do not forget the thread starter of course- not that he is a rep-ho at all).

Blog Entries

(and do not forget the thread starter of course- not that he is a rep-ho at all).

there is nothing bad in giving away some rep to those who play, as long as the game is clean, the questions are interesting and the people have fun.

All praises to the starter of this tread
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Well, I was kidding about the rep for me, but thanks anyway ;-)

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Let me have a try at this game. Don't know if it's been asked, so I'll go anyway. Oh, and thanks for the 2 people repping me, you really shouldn't have, guys.

We all know about Queen Beruthiel. How did the queen keep the cats in check?
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

She enslaved them, tortured them, and turned them into her spies.
    One does not desire the power of a nation,
    So much as one treasures reputation.
    This poem is not a 'trap', nor a 'trep',
    It is simply a device for the collection of rep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Well, I was kidding about the rep for me, but thanks anyway ;-)
    you did a good job when you started this game my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Bladvak View Post
    ... Oh, and thanks for the 2 people repping me, you really shouldn't have, guys.
    if the answer is correct and clear, you deserve your rep and anyway it is good to have some new player here

What Redgrave said is basically correct, anyhow the full answer I believe is that she used one WHITE cat to spy and controll all the other nine BLACK cats.
    As extra note, in the end her husband Tarannon Falastur finally set her and her cats adrift at sea and it is said they were lost forever, a end they really deserved

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Redgrave View Post
    She enslaved them, tortured them, and turned them into her spies.
    Correct, but incomplete so no rep for you. I did ask how she kept them in check, not how she made them her spies.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    What Redgrave said is basically correct, anyhow the full answer I believe is that she used one WHITE cat to spy and controll all the other nine BLACK cats.
    As extra note, in the end her husband Tarannon Falastur finally set her and her cats adrift at sea and it is said they were lost forever, a end they really deserved
    Correct&rep. The queen would use the nine black cats to spy on whoever she wanted, but they would still be maltreated. The tenth, white cat, would be used to spy on the spies.
    As for the punishment, I really would have put only the queen and the white cat in a boat adrift at sea.

l.e. : I gotta spread the rep, someone please rep Flinn for me.
    Last edited by Bladvak; November 11, 2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: l.e.

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

Flinn has been repped

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redgrave View Post
    Flinn has been repped
    thanks

next question, book lore as usual for me:

- at how many "sun years" did one "tree year" correspond? (referring to the Two Trees of Valinor clearly)

this is not a hard one, but the answer could be stunning for someone, so it is worth to ask it

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

14325 years

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    thanks

- at how many "sun years" did one "tree year" correspond? (referring to the Two Trees of Valinor clearly)

this is not a hard one, but the answer could be stunning for someone, so it is worth to ask it
    9.58 years of the sun (also 144 years under a considered, if not implemented, late chronology).

Blog Entries

as far as my knowledge goes, the answer from Infidel144 is the correct one:

1 Valian hour corresponded to 7 hours of "our" time, 1 Valian day to 84 hours (composed by 12 Valian hours), 1 Valian year to 84,000 hours (1000 Valian days); so 1 Valian year during the Trees period should have lasted about 9 years and 200 days approximately (84000/8760 which is the number of hours per year, solar time)

the figure of 14325 years should represent approximately the total number of solar years during the Trees' age, that lasted around 1500 Valian years (1500*9.55).

So Infidel, your answer is correct, you can take your turn and your rep

"Before him were the bones of a mighty man. He had been clad in mail, and still his harness lay there whole; for the cavern's air was as dry as dust, and his hauberk was gilded. His belt was of gold and garnets, and rich with gold was the helm upon his bony head face downward on the floor. He had fallen near the far wall of the cave, as now could be seen, and before him stood a stony door closed fast: his finger-bones were still clawing at the cracks. A notched and broken sword lay by him, as if he had hewn at the rock in his last despair."

What lay behind the stony door?

Would that be the Paths of the Dead? That is the description of Baldor from the Passing of the Grey Company

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

I'm going to be a bit more specific and say the entrance to the Paths of the Dead (well, really I'm just being pedantic and I would have said what DoM said if he hadn't got there first...)

No, the Grey Company had already passed through the entrance to the Paths of the Dead:
    And so they came at last deep into the glen; and there stood a sheer wall of rock, and in the wall the Dark Door gaped before them like the mouth of night. Signs and figures were carved above its wide arch too dim to read, and fear flowed from it like a grey vapour.
    The company halted, and there was not a heart among them that did not quail, unless it were the heart of Legolas of the Elves, for whom the ghosts of Men have no terror.
    'This is an evil door,' said Halbarad, 'and my death lies beyond it. I will dare to pass it nonetheless; but no horse will enter.'
    'But we must go in, and therefore the horses must go too,' said Aragorn. 'For if ever we come through this darkness, many leagues lie beyond, and every hour that is lost there will bring the triumph of Sauron nearer. Follow me!'
    Then Aragorn led the way, and such was the strength of his will in that hour that all the Dúnedain and their horses followed him...

The "stony door" is well within the Paths and reached only after "time unreckoned passed".

"Before him were the bones of a mighty man. He had been clad in mail, and still his harness lay there whole; for the cavern's air was as dry as dust, and his hauberk was gilded. His belt was of gold and garnets, and rich with gold was the helm upon his bony head face downward on the floor. He had fallen near the far wall of the cave, as now could be seen, and before him stood a stony door closed fast: his finger-bones were still clawing at the cracks. A notched and broken sword lay by him, as if he had hewn at the rock in his last despair."

What lay behind the stony door?

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Would it be perhaps what Baldor believed a way OUT of the Paths of the Dead?