Page 46 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051525354555671 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Well I had to google the name of the sign language, and it's telling me it's Iglishmek

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

correct, yout turn
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Who forged the Dragon-Helm of Dor-Lomin? And name all the people known to possess it.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

I have a question whose answer I want to share, so I will take that though I do not play.

Telchar of Belegost forged for King Azaghâl of Belegost.

The latter gifted it to Maedhros, who in turn gave it to Fingon.

Fingon gave it to Hador, whose stout shoulders and proud head would well wear it. After that his son Galdor wore it but not Hurin, who was more slender (taking after his Haladin mother) and preferred to look his enemies in the eye.

Morwën then sent the helm with Turin to Doriath where Thingol kept it till Turin came of age and could wear it. Turin then wore it on the marches with Beleg (The Helm and The Bow as they were known), and brought it to Turin when searching for him after the latter had left Doriath post-Saeros.

Turin wore it again, and it brought his doom upon him when he took the name Gorthol and Morgoth then knew him for who he was.

After that no one knows what happened; perhaps Mîm took it, perhaps it ended up in Angband.

Beautifully done as always Mac, your turn.

Well thank you. But Turin is one of my favorite characters.

Anyway, I have read the LoTR 300+ times over the last 30 years since I first discovered them, yet I keep finding little new tidbits in them; Tolkien was that good.

This question concerns the latest reread, which was audiobook, perhaps that is why I noticed. The rest of you might know already, but I had not noticed before. Though it is pretty easy to find.

As we all know, curses, omens and such always comes true in LoTR. So when Faramir puts a geas on Gollum, Smeagol should perhaps have known better. Faramir's geas gets him.

But there is another one influencing the way of his death. Someone else puts that curse on him;

Who curses him such and what is the curse?

Blog Entries

IIRC it was Frodo himself, just few minutes before it happened.

Frodo and Sam were getting close to the entrance of the Crack of Doom while Gollum attacks them again; Frodo, after defending himseld with fierce, casts the curse on Gollum, by telling him that the One is forever out of his reach and that if he would try to recover it again he will end to be casted inside the Fire itself.
    This scene is also part of the visions Sam had while looking at the Mirror of Galadriel.

There is also another indirect reference in TTT when Gollum swears on the One to serve Frodo and Frodo said him to be careful, as he could command him "to leap from a precipice or to cast yourself into the fire".

if you prefer to have the quotes, I'll work around them when I have time

edit, here are the quotes:

'Down, down!' he gasped, clutching his hand to his breast, so that beneath the cover of his leather shirt he clasped the Ring. 'Down you creeping thing, and out of my path! Your time is at an end. You cannot betray me or slay me now.'

Then suddenly, as before under the eaves of the Emyn Muil, Sam saw these two rivals with other vision. A crouching shape, ... a creature now wholly ruined and defeated, yet filled with a hideous lust and rage; and before it stood stern, untouchable now by pity, a figure robed in white, but at its breast it held a wheel of fire. Out of the fire there spoke a commanding voice.

'Begone, and trouble me no more! If you touch me ever again, you shall be cast yourself into the Fire of Doom.'
    am I correct?
    Last edited by Flinn; November 05, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

You are indeed. Well done. It amazes me that after 300+ readthroughs I can still find new details and treasures in LoTR.

That is all I wanted to underline, I now hide again.

Your turn.

Edit, somebody else will have to do the rep.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Flinn again.

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

repped Flinn, carry on, I enjoy this thread (though cannot really contribute anything, more just plain lurking).
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Of course you can Bladvak. Try :-D do not be shy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    It amazes me that after 300+ readthroughs I can still find new details and treasures in LoTR.
    so true, that's one of the reasons why Tolkien works are so popular and long lasting in people interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladvak View Post
    repped Flinn, carry on, I enjoy this thread (though cannot really contribute anything, more just plain lurking).
    thanks mate

And you should play, really. I love this game but at the same time I'm probably the one asking more questions on the Tolkien General Discussion tread, so don't be shy, because there is nothing bad in making mistakes and if you are a lore lover, there is nothing better of lurking around to look for an answer or to make an hard question to build up your own knowledge.

Let's have an easy one, hope you will try to guess it:

books lore: Who was considered the mightest warrior amongst the Men and how he died?

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm going to say Turin Turambar, cos he's really really cool. He threw himself at his sword Gurthang after slaying Glaurung.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Blog Entries

very close, but not exact (at least to my knowledge)

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

I'm pretty sure it was Hurin. He committed suicide by throwing himself into the Sea, after killing Mim, giving the Nauglamir to Thingol and causing a civil war amongst the Haladin.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; November 07, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Blog Entries

very thorough answer, absolutely correct

your turn

What was the name of the (later excised) brother of Amandil in the earlier versions of the Akkalabeth?

Blog Entries

come on guys, isn't there anybody that wants to try to guess?

we need some more players here to keep this alive ..

Fine I'll jump in... The phantom brother you are looking for is Elentir, who was originally betrothed to Miriel, but then she fell in love with Ar-Pharazon in this abandoned version.

Very much correct.

Who prophesized the return of the king to Gondor by speaking: "the hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known."