Page 16 of 89 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    There were only 16 Chieftains of the Dunedain, but if you count from Elendil (counting also kings of Arnor and Arthedain) I'd say...

Arathorn II, Aragorn's father.
    Correct!

Please the court, is there a question anywhere in our future?

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

As EoH will probably not give us a question, someone should take his place.

Senator

I volunteer to give a question.

In the days of Ecthelion, Steward of Gondor and Father of Denethor, there was one who led a small fleet of Gondor to victory in Umbar and went by the name of Thorongil. He then mysteriously disappeared when called back to Minas Tirith. But he was actually known by another name in the North.

So what was the true identity of Thorongil?

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Sorry for forgetting to make a new question

@Lortano Aragorn

Quote Originally Posted by Lortano View Post
    I volunteer to give a question.

In the days of Ecthelion, Steward of Gondor and Father of Denethor, there was one who led a small fleet of Gondor to victory in Umbar and went by the name of Thorongil. He then mysteriously disappeared when called back to Minas Tirith. But he was actually known by another name in the North.

So what was the true identity of Thorongil?
    Aragorn, AKA Strider

Senator

Ok, I'll give the honour of answering the next question to Nastreal but EoH will get some lovely rep too.

Correct answer was indeed Aragorn, although few knew of his true identity.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Why would you give it to Nastrael, EoH answered many hours before, also with the right answer...
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

yea i dont deserve any rep...i hadnt looked at the last part of EoH's post before i answered...i suck :/

Senator

Ok then, EoH, you do the honours.

Tar-Ancalime was the seventh ruler of Numenor, and also the first ruling Queen (this follows the convention of including Vardamir Nolimon in the count, though he never actually ruled).

Sorry for the delay.

Ok, here's a variation on a question I saw a while back. As of the BEGINNING of The Hobbit, list the dwarves that would have had to die for Gimli to become king under the mountain.

Eönwë's Avatar Semisalis

Thorin and the sons of his sister Fili and Kili, Dain II Ironfoot (before having his son) and his father Gloin if Gimli is an adult at the time which I don't know, if not Gloin's brother needs to die too...

edit: Gimli was born in 2879 so in 2941 (battle of the five armies and death of Thorin) he was 62 which I don't no if he was considered an adult...
    Last edited by Eönwë; October 01, 2012 at 05:42 AM.

Gimli at 62 would have been considered an adult (remember, both Dain Ironfoot and Thorin Oakenshield were younger than that at the Battle of Nandhurion); I believe dwarves are considered to reach "battle-readiness" around 50. The names you mention are correct, but you're missing several (check the various birthdates).

Eönwë's Avatar Semisalis

Fundin? Father of Balin? Or the father of Gloin? I just looked up the birth/heir line of Durin but cannot find any name missing, or gloin's father must still be alive at the time...in any case, sorry I'm wrong, another can try

Edit: Wait! At the beginning of the hobbit, was Thorin's dad still alive? (Thrain captured in Dol Guldur if I remember right?)
    If so, him too...but I think he was already dead cause Gandalf had the map and key...

Another edit: Dwalin has too die too if I read things right...
    Last edited by Eönwë; October 01, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Thorin's father, Thrain II, was actually long dead by the time of The Hobbit. There are still a couple of dwarves missing from your list, and you need to look outside the direct/ruling line to find them (remember, Gimli himself was not of the direct ruling line, which is why he never ruled ).

Eönwë's Avatar Semisalis

Okay last try hahaha,

You have Balin, Dwalin, Dain Iron foot, Thorin, Fili, Kili, Frerin, Dis(If dwarven woman could become queen haha), Oin and Gloin

All of the above come before Gimli as King, Thrain is dead, Fundin is dead, Groin is dead (I suppose?)

Dain Ironfoots son wasn't born yet so isn't in the list, WAIT EDIT, Dain's son was old enough to become King so Thorin, Dain's son should die too for Gimli too become King and Thorin's son Durin VII must be killed in order to keep him from waging a war of succession haha

Please tell me I got it right this time? haha

Frerin was actually dead; he died at the Battle of Nandhurion (same as Fundin), but other than that, you're correct.

Thorin was king at the start of The Hobbit, and Fili and Kili were his closest heirs (I don't think dwarven women could rule, but you're right about Dis if they could). After them would be Dain, and then Thorin Stonehelm (as actually happened). There isn't a birthdate given for Durin VII as far as I know (it's not even certain whether he was Thorin III's son or a later descendant), but if he was alive, he would have to die too. Because Fundin was older than Groin, Balin and Dwalin would have been next in line, followed by Oin, Gloin, and finally Gimli.

Your turn.