Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

I'll be honest, I thought it was 5 because I forgot that the tree died during the Great Plague. But since you said it wasn't 5 I said 6.

OK My turn: Who is the first and who is the last named character who dies in Quenta Silmarillion?

Miriel, the mother of Feanor, was the first to die that I found.

At the end Maedhros casts himself into a chasm filled with fire after taking a Silmaril and so passed on. It then talks of Maglor but says he "wandered ever upon the shores," so he doesn't technically die.

So, in summary, Miriel dies first and Maedhros dies last.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Correct! Well done. Your turn.

Thanks Gallus. I have been keeping my copy of the silmarillion ready and am decent at skim reading so it wasn't too bad.

So,

When will it be known of what the Silmarils were made? Looking for the quote somewhere in Quenta Silmarillion.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

“and yet, as were they indeed living things, they rejoiced in light and received it and gave it back in hues more marvellous than before.”

Thats not exactly what I was looking for. They do have an inner fire but the actual material is described as like diamond but stronger. There is a very specific quote giving a time. (well, set of conditions)

I don't have the exact quote, but I think they will be recovered after Dagor Dagorath, and Yavanna will break them open and reveal their inner light. I'm assuming that's where the quote Charger posted comes from.

Still not really what I am looking for. If you find the quote it should be very obvious. It starts, "But not until..."

. But not until the End, when Fлanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda. Yet that crystal was to the Silmarils but as is the body to the Children of Ilъvatar: the house of its inner fire, that is within it and yet in all parts of it, and is its life. And the inner fire of the Silmarils Fлanor made of the blended light of the Trees of Valinor, which lives in them yet, though the Trees have long withered and shine no more. Therefore even in the darkness of the deepest treasury the Silmarils of their own radiance shone like the stars of Varda; and yet, as were they indeed living things, they rejoiced in light and received it and gave it back in hues more marvellous than before.

So is my answer correct?

Yes that is correct. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to get on early in the day.

Who was the first recorded Baggins in history and when was he born?

Balbo Baggins, b. 1167 S.R. (TA 2767)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeson View Post
    Balbo Baggins, b. 1167 S.R. (TA 2767)
    You are correct sir

When Gandalf speaks to Gwaihir the Windlord after the One Ring has been destroyed, he says, "Twice you have borne me, Gwaihir my friend." What two occasions if Gandalf referring to, and what other prior occasion(s) might render Gandalf's statement inaccurate?

The first time Gwaihir borne Gandalf was from Orthanc to Edoras, when he freed him from Saruman.
    The Second time was when Gwaihir took the reincarnated Gandalf from the high peak of Caradhras to Lorien.

Prior to those Gandalf was borne by a Great Eagle from a small wood in the vales of Anduin to the Great Eyrie on the Hithaeglir and from there again to the fords of Carrock. Yet these two time he was not borne by Gwaihir, thus explaining his statement when the Ring was destroyed.
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Correct. Honestly, considering the similarity of their titles, I personally think the Lord of the Eagles from The Hobbit could well be Gwaihir, and Tolkein just didn't think of The Hobbit when he wrote that scene in RoTK (this is the same person who often changed characters' names within the same draft and sometimes even had trouble keeping them straight). As far as I know the text doesn't explicitly say one way or the other.

In any case, your turn.

Where were the Palantiri originally placed and what was their fate?
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

There were 7 Palantir. 1.Annuminas[Lost in the sea in the shipwreck that killed Arvedui]2. Minas Anor[Mostly intact with a bad case of ''burn in"] 3.Osgiliath[Lost in the Kinstrife] 4.Amon Sul [Shared the fate of the one in Annuminas] 5.[Orthanc [Intact] 6.Minas Ithil [Claimed by Sauron and presumed lost after the fall of the Dark Lord] 7. Elostirion [Intact,placed by Elendil to watch the sea over Numenor, and later taken by the Elves to Valinor]

I want to note that I don't use wikis for answers.
    Last edited by Feanaro Curufinwe; September 12, 2012 at 06:27 AM.

Correct. your turn!
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...