Thread: Sauron Lost the One Ring

Default Sauron Lost the One Ring

I wasn’t sure if this was a bug or not, but figured this was an alright place to post about it.

In a campaign as Mordor, the One Ring popped in Dale. I took it and The One Ring was added to my general’s (Azog) retinue. A few turns later I get a message telling me to bring it to Barad-dûr, I do so, Sauron spawns with a full stack, business as usual.

However, Azog kept the ring in his retinue, and I didn’t think anything of it.

About a dozen turns later, I get a message saying Sauron has lost the One Ring, and Sauron is now gone.
    Do I have to manually move the ring into Saurons retinue to keep him alive?
    And now that he’s despawned, will I get another chance to spawn him in this campaign?

Azog still has the One Ring in Barad-dûr, and I skipped a few turns ahead but Sauron didn’t respawn yet.

I have the steam version of M2TW for Mac, with TATW 3.2 and no submods.

Celtic Magister's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Sauron Lost the One Ring

Quote Originally Posted by JonBlaze View Post
    I wasn’t sure if this was a bug or not, but figured this was an alright place to post about it.

In a campaign as Mordor, the One Ring popped in Dale. I took it and The One Ring was added to my general’s (Azog) retinue. A few turns later I get a message telling me to bring it to Barad-dûr, I do so, Sauron spawns with a full stack, business as usual.

However, Azog kept the ring in his retinue, and I didn’t think anything of it.

About a dozen turns later, I get a message saying Sauron has lost the One Ring, and Sauron is now gone.
    Do I have to manually move the ring into Saurons retinue to keep him alive?
    And now that he’s despawned, will I get another chance to spawn him in this campaign?

Azog still has the One Ring in Barad-dûr, and I skipped a few turns ahead but Sauron didn’t respawn yet.

I have the steam version of M2TW for Mac, with TATW 3.2 and no submods.
    The ring should automatically move to Sauron's retinue once he gets the ring, that is if his ancillary list isn't full somehow. I don't know how it would be.

You can try moving the ring to another general with less than 7 ancillaries, and seeing if you can fire the script again. You might also ask someone for a copy of their descr_scripts file in the Imperial_Campaign folder in case your own is corrupt. What happened exactly is that your script failed to create the "real" one ring in Sauron's retinue, as there are actually two one ring ancillaries. One which generals get, and the other which Sauron gets.

Ah okay that’s helpful about there being two different One rings, and sure does sound like a bug.
    The only ancillary he started out with was Sauron’s Mace.

I’ll try swapping the ring around and see if it will re-activate the script as well.
    If anyone wants to share their descr_scripts file, I’d appreciate the help!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Yeah, that sounds buggy; you're not supposed to keep the Ring.

Presuming you're thinking of campaign_script, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xi7a23...ign_script.txt

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Yeah, that sounds buggy; you're not supposed to keep the Ring.

Presuming you're thinking of campaign_script, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/file/xi7a23...ign_script.txt
    Yes, the campaign_script, not descr_script, my mistake. It is placed in world>maps>imperial_campaign.

I would share mine but I'm modded to DaC.
    Last edited by Celtic Magister; December 12, 2017 at 12:26 AM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Azog kept the ring in his retinue ... and Sauron is now gone
    I can see how Azog might keep it* but I can't see anything in the script that kills Sauron or sends him off map. Unless he died in-game (battle, old age, etc.) then this is very strange - impossible even. We are talking TATW 3.2 with no submods here, right?

* The script relies on CharacterSelected to remove it but if he's in an army of which he's not commander, or in Barad-dur itself, then CharacterSelected won't fire on him. Whereas the script to test if he has reached Barad-dur (and thus spawn Sauron) does not rely on him being selected, only present in the region.

No, the spawn script only works once.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

perhaps this is due feral messing with the script commands in MTW2 for mac?
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Thanks for the file Ngugi!

Right, Vanilla TATW 3.2, no submods. It is the Feral port so that may have something to do with it? I'm not particularly mod savvy though I'm afraid.

I can say for certain though that Sauron didn't die in battle or from old age. Wish I had the foresight to screenshot the event message, but the heading was "Sauron has lost the One Ring" then it continued in the description saying something like "he no longer has the power to manifest his physical form"

That explains why it didn't remove the ring from Azog's retinue, he was in Barad-dûr along with the faction leader.

Another odd thing is that later on in this campaign I got another message saying that since my general failed to hand over the ring, all 'evil' factions have declared war on me, but none of them did. My allies remained allies and the neutral factions stayed neutral. Very weird, a re-install may be in order.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    perhaps this is due feral messing with the script commands in MTW2 for mac?
    I doubt it. Sauron dying is a mystery but script can kill somebody in one of three ways and there are multiple usages of those in TATW for various characters. If feral somehow broke that then random guys would be dying all over the place.

I can say for certain though that Sauron didn't die in battle or from old age. Wish I had the foresight to screenshot the event message, but the heading was "Sauron has lost the One Ring" then it continued in the description saying something like "he no longer has the power to manifest his physical form"
    Out of curiosity, is Sauron actually dead? Script shows that message when it sees that his mace is no longer in the game, so it's possible that he's not dead just lost his mace. That shouldn't happen but neither should Sauron dying mysteriously.

Another odd thing is that later on in this campaign I got another message saying that since my general failed to hand over the ring, all 'evil' factions have declared war on me, but none of them did. My allies remained allies and the neutral factions stayed neutral. Very weird, a re-install may be in order.
    It might be that the script to perform the war declarations was already shut down by Sauron emerging. Sauron spawning and yet your general keeping the ring has put the script into an unexpected state; all kinds of weird things could start happening to the ring script after that.

I don't know if he's dead in that he was killed, but he's certainly not on the campaign map anymore. He's missing from my factions roster, using the move_character command gave me a "Character not found" message and I looked through the whole map and the only Sauron I found was the pope version up in the Northern Wastes.

So he's either dead or hanging out in the Void somewhere with Melkor.

I don't know if he's dead in that he was killed, but he's certainly not on the campaign map anymore. He's missing from my factions roster, using the move_character command gave me a "Character not found" message and I looked through the whole map and the only Sauron I found was the pope version up in the Northern Wastes.

So he's either dead or hanging out in the Void somewhere with Melkor.
    I could have sworn the papal "pope" Sauron is supposed to actually transfer to the Mordor faction once the Ring is given to it. There should only be one Sauron on the map last I checked.
    You might want to start a new Mordor campaign, after putting into your imperial_campaign folder the file Ngugi uploaded, use cheats to get to where you were financially, and use move_character to move a general and an army to attack whichever city the ring is found in.

If the Ring script is still giving you problems, a reinstall would be a good idea. The Valar must have hired an IT crew to tamper with the files of all dark servants .

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Magister View Post
    I could have sworn the papal "pope" Sauron is supposed to actually transfer to the Mordor faction once the Ring is given to it. There should only be one Sauron on the map last I checked.
    You might want to start a new Mordor campaign, after putting into your imperial_campaign folder the file Ngugi uploaded, use cheats to get to where you were financially, and use move_character to move a general and an army to attack whichever city the ring is found in.

If the Ring script is still giving you problems, a reinstall would be a good idea. The Valar must have hired an IT crew to tamper with the files of all dark servants .
    there are 2 saurons one pope guy that is there the whole game and another sauron that spawns when the player or AI mordor get the ring
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Azog did a succesful "Saruman", good job