Page 5 of 89 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Mount Mindolluin
    Correct. The white mountains is really too general.

From The Silmarillion,

Mindolluin

"Towering Blue-head", the great mountain behind Minas Anor

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Hmm good one ����������

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

There is also, in "The Siege of Gondor", this passage;

All was silent, save for the rumour of war in the City down below, and they heard the water dripping sadly from the dead branches into the dark pool. Then they went on through the Citadel gate, where the sentinel stared at them in wonder and dismay as they passed by. Turning westward they came at length to a door in the rearward wall of the sixth circle. Fen Hollen it was called, for it was kept ever shut save at times of funeral, and only the Lord of the City might use that way, or those who bore the token of the tombs and tended the houses of the dead. Beyond it went a winding road that descended in many curves down to the narrow land under the shadow of Mindolluin's precipice where stood the mansions of the dead Kings and of their Stewards.
    Edit, and in "Minas Tirith" This,

Now after Gandalf had ridden for some time the light of day grew in the sky, and Pippin roused himself and looked up. To his left lay a sea of mist, rising to a bleak shadow in the East; but to his right great mountains reared their heads, ranging from the West to a steep and sudden end, as if in the making of the land the River had burst through a great barrier, carving out a mighty valley to be a land of battle and debate in times to come. And there where the White Mountains of Ered Nimrais came to their end he saw, as Gandalf had promised, the dark mass of Mount Mindolluin, the deep purple shadows of its high glens, and its tall face whitening in the rising day. And upon its out-thrust knee was the Guarded City, with its seven walls of stone so strong and old that it seemed to have been not builded but carven by giants out of the bones of the earth.

Even as Pippin gazed in wonder the walls passed from looming grey to white, blushing faintly in the dawn; and suddenly the sun climbed over the eastern shadow and sent forth a shaft that smote the face of the City. Then Pippin cried aloud, for the Tower of Ecthelion, standing high within the topmost walls' shone out against the sky, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, tall and fair and shapely, and its pinnacle glittered as if it were wrought of crystals; and white banners broke and fluttered from the battlements in the morning breeze' and high and far he heard a clear ringing as of silver trumpets.
    And

A strong citadel it was indeed, and not to be taken by a host of enemies, if there were any within that could hold weapons; unless some foe could come behind and scale the lower skirts of Mindolluin, and so come upon the narrow shoulder that joined the Hill of Guard to the mountain mass. But that shoulder, which rose to the height of the fifth wall, was hedged with great ramparts right up to the precipice that overhung its western end; and in that space stood the houses and domed tombs of bygone kings and lords, for ever silent between the mountain and the tower.

Pippin gazed in growing wonder at the great stone city, vaster and more splendid than anything that he had dreamed of; greater and stronger than Isengard, and far more beautiful. Yet it was in truth falling year by year into decay; and already it lacked half the men that could have dwelt at ease there. In every street they passed some great house or court over whose doors and arched gates were carved many fair letters of strange and ancient shapes: names Pippin guessed of great men and kindreds that had once dwelt there; and yet now they were silent, and no footsteps rang on their wide pavements, nor voice was heard in their halls, nor any face looked out from door or empty window.
    Last edited by Macilrille; August 04, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by scouter535 View Post
    Correct. The white mountains is really too general.

From The Silmarillion,

Mindolluin

"Towering Blue-head", the great mountain behind Minas Anor
    Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but since this is a lore-related thread,
    Why it is named the 'blue-head'?
    Os it really blue, or just the confusing 'blue' as in the dwarves again?
    Aure entuluva!

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

My guess would be that in a certain light the snow-clad peak would look blue. I have seen this phenomenon in the Alps and Norway.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Shouldn't the one who had the right answer ask a question?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I'm waiting For next question too and it would be nice to rep the person who gets the correct answer

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Sorry i forgot to post a question.

Who among Thorin and Co. died the latest in recorded history (i'm not sure that's clear but i couldn't think how to phrase it)?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'd say Balin, who got killed by an arrow near Azanulbizar.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Dwalin is the last to die whose date of death is recorded.

Thorin, Fili, and Kili died at the Battle of the Five Armies
    Balin, Ori, and Oin died in Moria
    Of the remaining 7, only Gloin's and Dwalin's dates of death are recorded in the appendicies, and they are FA 15 (TA 3036) for Gloin, and TA 3112 (FA 91) for Dwalin.
    The dates of death for Nori, Dori, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur are not recorded.

Nori

Well it's not 24 hours but since there doesn't seem like there'll be a lot more activity; Wolfeson got it right, there are a few who have no recorded deaths but Dwalin is the last recorded alive.

Ok, here's my question:

There are a total of 7 lotr characters who possessed the One Ring. List all 7, in order from longest to shortest time possessing the ring.

Sméagol
    Sauron
    Bilbo Baggins
    Isildur
    Frodo Baggins
    Déagol
    Samwise Gamgee

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Tom Bombadil also held the ring for a few seconds. Don't forget him.

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, but I'm only looking for characters that actually possessed the ring, as in owned it. Basicly, they need to physically possess it, and lay claim to either the ring itself or the task of bearing it. So Tom doesn't count (nor does Gandalf throwing it into the fire in the book version of Fellowship, or Boromir picking it up out of the snow in the movie). Charger, you have the right 7 characters (nice job, btw ), but the order is wrong. Be careful using the movies as a basis for timelines; they condense a lot.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Charger Bolt View Post
    Sméagol
    Sauron
    Bilbo Baggins
    Isildur
    Frodo Baggins
    Déagol
    Samwise Gamgee
    Samwise should have kept the Ring longer than Deagol - I think he held it like at least some hours.
    Deagol just held it for minute or so, so they should be switched around.
    Aure entuluva!

Frodo would have had it longer than Isildur i think, since it took nearly a year to travel to Mordor, plus the time between Bilbos 111 birthday and leaving the Shire whereas Isildur held it for a year in Gondor and then the time it took to go to the Gladden fields.

So who got it right then?

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeson View Post
    but the order is wrong.
    Does the order matter? I too would want to join the game, so say it straight, Wolfeson, was Chargers answer correct?
    Last edited by Bowmaster; August 09, 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention a little thing.