Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32843444546474849505152535455565758596061626378 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1776

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Sorry for my massive delay

Correct!

My sources tell me Manthor demanded they "treat Hurin with respect", but that's close enough in my opinion.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

good, but I haven't got any reward for my acumen

anyway, let's remain into the tales of Hurin's wanderings as they present some interesting points to me, in particular Manthor:

What was the connection between Hùrin and Manthor?
    How did the latter found his end?
    And what this dead meant for the House of Haleth?

come on guys, this is a very interesting part about nature of Men ..

Last edited by Flinn; December 02, 2013 at 05:40 AM. Reason: reworked the question
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

If you mean a familial connection, then Hurin and Manthor were both of the House of Haleth, with Hurin being the son of Hareth, second son of Halmir, while Manthor was descended from the third son, Hiril.

If you mean their relationship after they met in Brethil, Manthor served as Hurins defense Councillor when he was tried for throwing a stool at Hardang, leader of the House of Haleth at the time.

Manthor was killed by Hardang's son Avranc after his successful defense of Hurin, which led to a mob killing Hardang.

In Manthor's own words, it brought ruin on the house of Haleth, as Hurin (and his son Turin) had caused the deaths of Brandir and Hunthor (by Turin) and now Hardang and Manthor himself (by Hurin)

Blog Entries

ok here I am, some comments below

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    If you mean a familial connection, then Hurin and Manthor were both of the House of Haleth, with Hurin being the son of Hareth, second son of Halmir, while Manthor was descended from the third son, Hiril.

If you mean their relationship after they met in Brethil, Manthor served as Hurins defense Councillor when he was tried for throwing a stool at Hardang, leader of the House of Haleth at the time.
    asking for the one above, correct anyway

Manthor was killed by Hardang's son Avranc after his successful defense of Hurin, which led to a mob killing Hardang.
    correct, Avranc looks to be a real villain to me, very coward , though to be precise Avranc killed Manthor only after the latter and Hurin went to bury Morwen.

In Manthor's own words, it brought ruin on the house of Haleth, as Hurin (and his son Turin) had caused the deaths of Brandir and Hunthor (by Turin) and now Hardang and Manthor himself (by Hurin)
    correct, so ended the house of Haleth (at least of its leaders), a sad story indeed.

well done overalla Axis, get your reward and your turn mate
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Oh a newcomer :-D

Alright, this one shouldn't be too difficult. On a similar topic: List all of the "alternate" names of Turin and where, when, and how he got them, as well as the translations if known.

Not too sure about the phrasing, if it is unclear, please tell me.
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; December 03, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Alright, this one shouldn't be too difficult. On a similar topic: List all of the "alternate" names of Turin and where, when, and how he got them, as well as the translations if known.

Not too sure about the phrasing, if it is unclear, please tell me.
    Turin, Hithlum, name by birth.

Neithan (The Wronged), south of Brethil while with the outlaws (before Beleg finds him the first time), referred to himself as such for being "wrongly expelled" from Doriath.

Gorthol (Dread Helm), Amon Rudh while with Beleg, the bandits and Mim, self-given name after Beleg returns the Dragon Helm to him.

Agarwaen son of Umarth (Bloodstained son of Ill-fate), Nargothrond once he arrives with Gwindor and for a short time after, another self-given alias, this time as an attempt to escape the curse of Morgoth that follows his name.

Thurin (The Secret), Nargothrond about the same time as the above alias, given to him by Finduilas, daughter of Orodreth due to him refusing to tell her his true name.

Adanedhel (Man Elf), Nargothrond, same time as the last two, referred to as by the elves of Nargothrond due to his elf-like appearance and bearing.

Mormegil (Black Sword), Nargothrond, after his name is revealed to Orodreth, given to him by the elves of Nargothrond for his prowess with Gurthang.

Turambar (Master of Doom), Brethil, after discovering Finduilas's fate through the men of Brethil, given to by himself (again) either out of a taste for irony or to again shield himself from the curse.

Beautiful, correct answer by my reckoning, if one of our local loremasters (Mac) has a different opinion, or additional information, please share, as it would be new knowledge for me as well.

Oh, I forgot to say earlier, great question Flinn!

I wouldn't so much as say it was a 'name' for Turin, but I believe he was posthumously referred to as Glaurung's Bane and his grave was marked "Turin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga". But I agree that Nastrael's answer is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Metz View Post
    I wouldn't so much as say it was a 'name' for Turin, but I believe he was posthumously referred to as Glaurung's Bane and his grave was marked "Turin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga". But I agree that Nastrael's answer is good!
    That's an exceslent point, but Nastrael definitely got the seven I was looking for, I discarded that as more of an epithet than a name.

I yield my question to whom ever wants it.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

No- no, you answer was fine. Try and see if you can find a question please. It can be anything Tolkien-related, films, MERP, Lore, anything...

Try please.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    No- no, you answer was fine. Try and see if you can find a question please. It can be anything Tolkien-related, films, MERP, Lore, anything...

Try please.
    second

come on Nastrael, give us a good one!

Thirded!

I don't know any good ones, so I'll just give you the first one I could come up with.
    How many mortals, in total, traveled to the Undying Lands. Please list names and time periods.

This is what I've got...

Earendil The Mariner- sailed West F.A. 538; returned to Middle Earth for the War of Wrath (545-587); abides in Valinor still when not sailing the skies in Vingilote.
    Ar-Pharazon the Golden and the Host of Numenor (unnamed) - SA 3319 during the Akallabeth; buried in the Caves of the Forgotten.
    Bilbo Baggins - sailed West T.A. 3021
    Frodo Baggins - sailed West T.A. 3021
    Samwise Gamgee - sailed West Fo.A. 61
    Gimli, son of Gloin - sailed West Fo.A. 120

Also of note is Amandil, father of Elendil, who sailed West S.A. 3116 to seek the aid of the Valar to prevent Ar-Pharazon from assaulting Aman under the influence of Sauron. He was never seen/heard from or mentioned again so one may assume that he failed to reach the Undying Lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Metz View Post
    This is what I've got...

Earendil The Mariner- sailed West F.A. 538; returned to Middle Earth for the War of Wrath (545-587); abides in Valinor still when not sailing the skies in Vingilote.
    Ar-Pharazon the Golden and the Host of Numenor (unnamed) - SA 3319 during the Akallabeth; buried in the Caves of the Forgotten.
    Bilbo Baggins - sailed West T.A. 3021
    Frodo Baggins - sailed West T.A. 3021
    Samwise Gamgee - sailed West Fo.A. 61
    Gimli, son of Gloin - sailed West Fo.A. 120

Also of note is Amandil, father of Elendil, who sailed West S.A. 3116 to seek the aid of the Valar to prevent Ar-Pharazon from assaulting Aman under the influence of Sauron. He was never seen/heard from or mentioned again so one may assume that he failed to reach the Undying Lands.
    Correct! +rep Although Gimli should fall in with Amandil, as it's never stated whether he and Legolas ever arrive.
    Last edited by Nastrael; December 10, 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Well I guess I technically forgot Tuor who sailed West F.A. 525 with Idril. However, it is said Tuor is the only man that is counted among the Eldar and became immortal. However, I've never been certain when Tuor became counted as one of the Eldar - if it was not until he arrived in Valinor, then he would technically be another mortal who traveled to the Undying Lands.

I've always given Gimli the benefit of the doubt in that he was traveling with Legolas (and presumably other Elves) that would be permitted in Valinor and the Valar had already made exception to allowing other members of the Fellowship. Amandil sailed only with 3 other men in opposition to the Ban of the Valar and nothing else is ever heard of him, so conversely, I do not give him the benefit of the doubt.

Even with the addition of Tuor, the list is still missing someone...
    ;

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Even with the addition of Tuor, the list is still missing someone...
    ;
    If you're referring to who I think you are, I didn't count said person due to them not technically "traveling" there.