Page 1 of 89 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Want to play? Quizz...

Let us play a little game, it goes like this:

I ask a question, the first one to provide the correct answer, will earn the honour and the right to ask the next question.

All questions must be Tolkien-Related.

First Question:
    As the Fellowship reach Argonath, Aragorn calls Isildur and Anarion both his sires.

How can that be?

(hint, I have provided the answer two or three weeks ago in some discussion).

Edit, Ngugi pointed out that with my lore-fanaticism I should state whether answers from the films are OK. I have to say; that depends, if the films are in contradiction to the books... well... what do you think? NO! But if they are in agreeance, or even if the question concerned the films, they are fine. So is anything else Tolkien-related, but the books always- ALWAYS take precedence.

But you could ask, "who played XX in YY scene in the films?" then a film answer is of course OK. Or if you ask, "Who illustrated the front cover of ICE's MERP Campaign Module - 'Rangers of the North'?" Then a MERP answer is of course correct (Pete Fenlon did AFAICR, Angus McBride only came in later).

Edit 2; I think to keep the quizz alive from now on anyone answering reps the one posting the question. Cause it seems Lore in itself is not enough to keep it going.
    Last edited by Macilrille; August 15, 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: My Quizz, my rules. Sorry ;-) even though trying to help

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Something to do with Arvedui, he was claiming the Throne of Gondor through a female line of Anarion, his mother or wife I think. I don't remember right off hand.
    Last edited by muller227; May 09, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Arvedui (aragorn's far ancestor) married Fíriel, daughter of Ondoher (last king of gondor before aragorn).

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    Arvedui (aragorn's far ancestor) married Fíriel, daughter of Ondoher (last king of gondor before aragorn).
    Earnil and Earnur were the last kings of Gondor, beat me too Firiel, had too look that up. Earnil claimed Kingship through the direct male descent from of Narmacil II.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

This is a good idea, but it may be hard to get the right answer quick enough with so many Tolkien experts we have here.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Also it's on the internet...
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    Also it's on the internet...
    You know that doesn't bother me in the least, if someone is bothering to take the time too look up an answer more power to them.

I find the internet useful to remind me which damn book a subjects in anyway. Being North of middle age, I find my memory gets more like Barliman's everyday.

Emperor gets the next question, he narrowed it down to Firiel, wife of Arvedui and daughter of Ondoher before I did.
    Last edited by muller227; May 09, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

Empy won, for which I am glad. Empy, you have the right to ask; and as I am busy for some hours, I will not win :-(

Also can we adjust the rules slightly, Ngugi, can only answer like every fourth question!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, cool. Let me come up with something...

If Gimli wanted to become king of the dwarves, how many (TA 3018) and which dwarves would he have to kill?

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

I wonder how long it takes before Ngugi finds this thread and causes everyone else to ragequit
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    Oh, cool. Let me come up with something...

If Gimli wanted to become king of the dwarves, how many (TA 3018) and which dwarves would he have to kill?
    AS of 3018, Dain II, Thorin III, and Durin VII, Thorin III would be 152 so I am guessing Durin VII was probably born by then. Appendix A. Births seem to run at roughly 100 year intervals

According too PoME, Durin may or may not have been the son of Thorin but was a direct descendent of Dain, which means there must have been a son just not necessarily Durin the VII. Given typical birth cycle I am assuming somone exists in that spot prior to 3018, around the age of 50, a mere stripling in dwarf years, considering Gimli was too young to go questing at 62. The last seems odd given that Dain was 27 when he killed Azog, and Thorin II only around 50 something at Nanduhirion. But maybe that was a desperate situation, where the ability to swing an axe was all that counted.

Tricksie, Its 5 Have to add Dwalin and Gloin, Dwalin is the elder line outside of Dain II dies 3112, that is well into the 4th age, Gloin 4th Age 15.
    Last edited by muller227; May 09, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven Berserker View Post
    I wonder how long it takes before Ngugi finds this thread and causes everyone else to ragequit
    He knows of it. So find difficult questions if you want to challenge us.

No books to hand, so cannot answer Empy's question. Perhaps when I get home.

Dain II, Thorin III "Stonehelm", Dwalin, Gloin his father, and possibly Durin VII "Lastking" we do not know when he was born, but presumably before TA 3018.

So five dwarves would need to have "accidents" for Gimli to become King Under the Mountain.
    Last edited by Mhaedros; May 10, 2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: double post

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

What are the 3 races of hobbits?

Uhm, you can only ask the question if you had the previous one correct

I ask a question, the first one to provide the correct answer, will earn the honour and the right to ask the next question.
    Btw, Muller was right in his edit. It's 5 if you include Durin VII. Your turn

On their way down the great River, Sam notices something is definately wrong, and cannot wrap his head around it. How long does he clearly remember being in Lothlorien?, how long were they actually there?.

Well, I can remember three nights there for certain, and I seem to remember several more, but I would take my oath it was never a whole month. Anyone would think that time did not count in there!

15th Jan. The Company reaches Nimrodel late at night.
    17th Jan. The company comes to Caras Galadhon at evening.
    16th Feb. Farewell to Lorien.

30 or 32 days in fact depending on where you define Lorien's border. Three, seemingly more, remembered.

That was quick.

Mac's got the next question.

I am always up for a quickie ;-)

Now...

A high-ranking person, one of high social class, very much likes Tolkien and has illustrated a bit of his work.

What bit and who is that person?

Edit, said person drew under pseudonym.

Edit2, said person was born 16th of April 1940 and Tolkien liked the work in contrast to most other illustrations he saw, partly because, just as he himself never directly described the main characters in detail, said person never drew them.

Edit/Hint 3, She, for a she it is, drew under the pseudonyme of "Ingahild Grathmer". If not answered at midnight I shall post an easier one for you.
    Last edited by Macilrille; May 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Since no one else has made a guess I shall make one.

Is it Queen Margrethe of Denmark illustrating The Lord of the Rings?

Page 1 of 89 12345678910112651 ... LastLast