Page 55 of 89 FirstFirst ... 53045464748495051525354555657585960616263646580 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1776

Thread: Want to play? Quizz...

Default Re: Want to play? Quizz...

Redgraves up.

( How could none of my friends figure out 2 simple words? )
    I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes I am the ghost, that hides in the night.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
    we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
    we shall fight on the beaches,
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;
    we shall never surrender.

" The dark is generous.
    Its first gift is concealment: our true faces lie in the dark beneath our skins, our true hearts remain shadowed deeper still. But the greatest concealment lies not in protecting our secret truths, but in hiding from the truths of others.
    The dark protects us from what we dare not know.
    Its second gift is comforting illusion: the ease of gentle dreams in night’s embrace, the beauty that imagination brings to what would repel in the day’s harsh light. But the greatest of its comforts is the illusion that dark is temporary: that every night brings a new day. Because it’s the day that is temporary.
    Day is the illusion.
    Its third gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite black through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings it forth from the center of its own self.
    With each victory of the light, it is the dark that wins.

The dark is generous, and it is patient.
    It is the dark that seeds cruelty into justice, that drips contempt into compassion, that poisons love with grains of doubt.
    The dark can be patient, because the slightest drop of rain will cause those seeds to sprout.
    The rain will come, and the seeds will sprout, for the dark is the soil in which they grow, and it is the clouds above them, and it waits behind the star that gives them light.
    The dark’s patience is infinite.
    Eventually, even stars burn out.

The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
    It always wins because it is everywhere.
    It is in the wood that burns in your hearth, and in the kettle on the fire; it is under your chair and under your table and under the sheets on your bed. Walk in the midday sun, and the dark is with you, attached to the soles of your feet.
    The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

The dark is generous and it is patient and it always wins – but in the heart of its strength lies its weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
    Love is more than a candle.
    Love can ignite the stars."

Alpha and Omega the beginning and the end.

You began the war.

I am going to end it!

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

Thanks for the rep, mesor.

Now for my question, continuing with the theme of Aragorn:

When Aragorn got off the corsair ships at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, who else got off with him (named characters and numbers of soldiers)?

Hint: the answer is not​ the army of the dead (I'm going off the book here).
    One does not desire the power of a nation,
    So much as one treasures reputation.
    This poem is not a 'trap', nor a 'trep',
    It is simply a device for the collection of rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Redgrave View Post
    Thanks for the rep, mesor.

Now for my question, continuing with the theme of Aragorn:

When Aragorn got off the corsair ships at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, who else got off with him (named characters and numbers of soldiers)?

Hint: the answer is not​ the army of the dead (I'm going off the book here).
    Legolas, Gimli, The Grey Company (Halbarad, Elladan, Elrohir and 28 others) and (this is just an estimation) between 6000 and 10000 men from the fiefdoms of southern Gondor.

Edit: Again, the number of forces from southern Gondor I provided are just estimations, as I cannot find a concrete source showing the exact amount. The estimation is from impromptu research into the matter and is relative to the number of Corsair ships which were captured and manned (33 ships, each bearing between 200-300 men).
    Last edited by Nastrael; December 13, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

Well done, you are correct! Your turn...

Since The Desolation of Smaug entered theaters recently (depending on where you are of course) lets go with a Hobbit themed question.

What council do Gandalf and Beorn give the dwarves which leads them to travel through Mirkwood instead of going north, around it, past the Grey Mountains?

Extra Credit: What is interesting about Gandalf's advice, in regards to phrasing and terminology?

Darn I didn't see it yet, this should be interesting.
    I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes I am the ghost, that hides in the night.

we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,

" The dark is generous.
    Its first gift is concealment: our true faces lie in the dark beneath our skins, our true hearts remain shadowed deeper still. But the greatest concealment lies not in protecting our secret truths, but in hiding from the truths of others.
    Its second gift is comforting illusion: the ease of gentle dreams in night’s embrace, the beauty that imagination brings to what would repel in the day’s harsh light. But the greatest of its comforts is the illusion that dark is temporary: that every night brings a new day. Because it’s the day that is temporary.
    Day is the illusion.
    Its third gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite black through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings it forth from the center of its own self.

It is the dark that seeds cruelty into justice, that drips contempt into compassion, that poisons love with grains of doubt.
    The dark can be patient, because the slightest drop of rain will cause those seeds to sprout.
    The rain will come, and the seeds will sprout, for the dark is the soil in which they grow, and it is the clouds above them, and it waits behind the star that gives them light.

It is in the wood that burns in your hearth, and in the kettle on the fire; it is under your chair and under your table and under the sheets on your bed. Walk in the midday sun, and the dark is with you, attached to the soles of your feet.

The dark is generous and it is patient and it always wins – but in the heart of its strength lies its weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.

You began the war.

I am going to end it!

Huh, I guess I should've said this earlier. The topic of the question, and answer, are both in the book.

Ahhh, still darn the last time I read this book I was like 8 lol. I'm 22 now. Brain storming time. Or I can buy it for 99p on my phone lol. I didn't think it'd be so cheap.
    This is going to distract me from saving gondor, the dwarves the high elves and arnors asses in my Rohan campaign now lol. I'm going bankrupt fielding a defensive army and 5 offensive armies couse they're all getting stomped.
    Last edited by mesor; December 13, 2013 at 06:54 PM.

" The dark is generous.
    Day is the illusion.

You began the war.

I am going to end it!

The advice is to go that way because the goblins will not dare to cross the river for 100 miles north of carrock or to come near beorns house correct and because to go north takes them through land heavily infested by orcs and goblins.

As for extra credit, I'm assuming you mean the " Simply stiff comment? " But I have no idea on the answer.
    Last edited by mesor; December 13, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

" The dark is generous.
    Day is the illusion.

You began the war.

I am going to end it!

Quote Originally Posted by mesor View Post
    The advice is to go that way because the goblins will not dare to cross the river for 100 miles north of carrock or to come near beorns house correct and because to go north takes them through land heavily infested by orcs and goblins.

As for extra credit, I'm assuming you mean the " Simply stiff comment? " But I have no idea on the answer.
    Correct! As for the extra credit, you were correct in your assumption. "they are simply stiff with goblins, hobgoblins and orcs of the worst description." The statement is curious as it differentiates between goblins and orcs, as Tolkien commonly counts them as two terms for the same creatures (and the entirely newly developed hobgoblins which Tolkien never mentions before or after). Granted, it may be due to the rushed editing of the book in order to link it to the rest of the series. And, just a fun musing, it gives some insight into the speed at which orcs naturally breed.

Well you do sometimes see some goblins that are even smaller then the norm so I'd assume they are hobgoblins but thats just a guess.

Hmmm now for a question.

When faramir almost dies what song is being sung and what reason does he give for leading the charge?

" The dark is generous.
    Day is the illusion.

You began the war.

I am going to end it!

Quote Originally Posted by mesor View Post
    Well you do sometimes see some goblins that are even smaller then the norm so I'd assume they are hobgoblins but thats just a guess.

Hmmm now for a question.

When faramir almost dies what song is being sung and what reason does he give for leading the charge?
    The Edge of Night (sung by Pippin to Denethor)

"Where does my allegiance lie if not here? This is the city of the Men of Numenor. I would gladly give my life to defend Her beauty, Her memory, Her wisdom."

Correct.

(( Lol 2 person game. ))

" The dark is generous.
    Day is the illusion.

You began the war.

I am going to end it!

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

You guys are going to fast! Wait for me!!!
    lol, actually just haven't been on forums in a while
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; December 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

good guys, keep playing

I'll eventualy jump in next week
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sorry, been busy.
    Question: What was the reason for Denethor's apparent madness? There are two answers for this.

Well the first reason for his apparent madness was the use of Palantir of Minas Tirith. When looking into the palantir, Denethor saw the power and forces of Mordor and the noose tightening about Gondor. Most of what he saw was what Sauron wanted him to see, for even though Sauron could not make the palantir lie, he could influence what Denethor saw since he was in possession of the Palantir of Minas Ithil. He thus became convinced that there was no hope for Gondor, even this assault could be stopped, the power and forces of Mordor were near limitless.

The second reason is the loss or near loss of his sons. Denethor loved his eldest son Boromir the most and thought that if Boromir lived, he might've been able to lead Gondor to victory. He even openly wished that his second son Faramir had died in his stead. Then his second son Faramir was near-mortally injured in the defense of Osgiliath and the Pelennor forts by a poisoned arrow. With his eldest son dead and his second son mortally wounded (he thought), he thought that the line of Stewards had failed and that death by his own choosing was preferable to defeat and capture/death at the hands of the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Metz View Post
    Well the first reason for his apparent madness was the use of Palantir of Minas Tirith. When looking into the palantir, Denethor saw the power and forces of Mordor and the noose tightening about Gondor. Most of what he saw was what Sauron wanted him to see, for even though Sauron could not make the palantir lie, he could influence what Denethor saw since he was in possession of the Palantir of Minas Ithil. He thus became convinced that there was no hope for Gondor, even this assault could be stopped, the power and forces of Mordor were near limitless.

The second reason is the loss or near loss of his sons. Denethor loved his eldest son Boromir the most and thought that if Boromir lived, he might've been able to lead Gondor to victory. He even openly wished that his second son Faramir had died in his stead. Then his second son Faramir was near-mortally injured in the defense of Osgiliath and the Pelennor forts by a poisoned arrow. With his eldest son dead and his second son mortally wounded (he thought), he thought that the line of Stewards had failed and that death by his own choosing was preferable to defeat and capture/death at the hands of the enemy.
    Excellent answer! Your turn!

Alright, I've got a movie question for everyone. In RoTK (extended I think) when the Mouth of Sauron is "negotiating" with the Captains of the West, he makes an insult that is "incorrect" in the history. What is this incorrect insult and what is incorrect about it?

Redgrave's Avatar Civis

Well, this is just a guess and I may well be wrong. If so, I apologise.

"It takes more to make a king than a broken elvish blade"

1) the blade is not broken
    2) the blade is not elvish