Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I can't exterminate without get Orc Like traits?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vincent Liong's Avatar Laetus

Default Why I can't exterminate without get Orc Like traits?

can someone point out how to get rid of that annoying Orc Like trait? it's hard to do anything without exterminating, and my Rohan generals keep getting that traits, thanks.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Why I can't exterminate without get Orc Like traits?

Exterminating a whole city is pretty orc-like, isn't it?
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

I think that you hadn’t come here for moral lectures how exterminating the whole populace (in reality) is wrong, thus there is perfect reason for that trait. I guess that you are looking for a console cheat (~) to remove that trait. I normally don’t cheat in my games, but I have looked a bit into the game’s text files and I think that cheat should go something like that:
    Code:
    give_trait "General's name in quotes" "OrcLike" 0
    I hope this will help you.

Edit: Otherwise, you could remove that trait from the game's text files manually.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; May 09, 2012 at 07:04 AM.

Vincent Liong's Avatar Laetus

no I didn't want to know why it was at the place, Rohirrim exterminating rebellious dunlendings and Easterlings are definitely not orc like as they kill men of darkness, not men of the west. I want to ask if possible someone has eliminating the trait somehow, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Liong View Post
    I want to ask if possible someone has eliminating the trait somehow, thanks.
    I’m glad if it helped.

no I didn't want to know why it was at the place, Rohirrim exterminating rebellious dunlendings and Easterlings are definitely not orc like as they kill men of darkness, not men of the west.
    Ah, if you insist...

Ok, hypothetical (- unreal, of course) situation: You are a Rohirrim general in Middle–earth and go to war with Dunlandings. So, in your opinion it is right thing to exterminate populace of a city (i.e. kill and pillage nearly all inhabitants including helpless women and children) just because they are Man of the Darkness? That would be nearly as to say e.g. that it would be perfectly valid and morally justified if Allies in WWII killed nearly all the populace of the Third Reich because they were ALL “evil and Nazi”. The things are nearly similar. Part of the people was seduced by the (evil) ideology and promises, part was scared by the militaristic regime to have any objections, part tried to object and failed miserably, part was “all the same”, and in part of the people regime and war brings the worst of them out. Percentages are what make the difference. Of course, I’m not telling you how to play, and good guys did bad things, but I think that those deeds would not be looked as good by them. You can read Tolkien’s letters and see what he considered Orc-like, and killing innocent people IS Orc-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Liong View Post
    no I didn't want to know why it was at the place, Rohirrim exterminating rebellious dunlendings and Easterlings are definitely not orc like as they kill men of darkness, not men of the west. I want to ask if possible someone has eliminating the trait somehow, thanks.
    Now, THAT IS orc-like.

Since you call the Dunlendings rebellious, I assume the Scottish, Irish, Polish, etc. were not fighting for their freedom, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    That would be nearly as to say e.g. that it would be perfectly valid and morally justified if Allies in WWII killed nearly all the populace of the Third Reich because they were ALL “evil and Nazi”. The things are nearly similar. Part of the people was seduced by the (evil) ideology and promises, ...
    Put it the other way round. Follow Nazi-propaganda and claim that communism is evil, that slavic people are of less worth and all the other racist .
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Put it the other way round. Follow Nazi-propaganda and claim that communism is evil, that slavic people are of less worth and all the other racist .
    Now I’m going off topic, but I hadn’t understood you at all? Could you more explain what you have meant in your previous post? Who’s following Nazi ideology? Hey, I don't know if it is some kind of misunderstanding or I had unintentionally written something wrong, or what? I gave him an example that even if “good guys” do crime against “bad guys” it is still a crime (hence morally wrong), and that all populace of any totalitarian regime isn’t fault for the existing condition or simplistically “evil”. I hope that I’m not accused for Nazism...

Edit:

After reading your post ten times in a row I can say only: What on Earth… Are you serious? If I had in this 100 posts and approximately two months leave an impression of an empty-headed, hate-indoctrinated, chauvinistic racist/fascist I beg, but really BEG administrators to delete my account with all my posts and rid of my wretched presence from this forum for all eternity.

You had misread my post. I will now clearly explain what I meant:

That would be nearly as to say ( what Vincent Liong said, and I’m clearly explaining why he is wrong with righteousness of extermination of Men of Darkness in reality) e.g. that it would be perfectly valid and morally justified if (as hypothetical, imaginary situation – example) Allies in WWII killed nearly all the populace of the Third Reich because they (inhabitants of the Third Reich) were ALL “evil and Nazi” (generalisation). The things are nearly similar (with them and supposed extermination of Dunlandings or Easterners by Rohirrim). Part of the people was seduced by the (evil) ideology (I don’t know what you don’t understand, they were clearly seduced, but that doesn’t justify them...) and promises (economic growth after WWI), part was scared by the militaristic regime to have any objections (clearly there was some point in having Gestapo- fear factor), part tried to object and failed miserably (e.g. Rommer, Stauffenberg, Bussche-Streithorst ...) , part was “all the same” (I meant indifferent), and in part of the people regime and war brings the worst of them out (worst kind, and that doesn’t justify them at all). Percentages are what make the difference (prevalence of “evil indoctrinated factor” or “scared factor” in the state).
    So, am I Nazi???

I was not prepared...
    Last edited by Jagmodo; May 10, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    Now I’m going off topic, but I hadn’t understood you at all? Could you more explain what you have meant in your previous post? Who’s following Nazi ideology? Hey, I don't know if it is some kind of misunderstanding or I had unintentionally written something wrong, or what? I gave him an example that even if “good guys” do crime against “bad guys” it is still a crime (hence morally wrong), and that all populace of any totalitarian regime isn’t fault for the existing condition or simplistically “evil”. I hope that I’m not accused for Nazism...
    No, of course I didn't want to accuse you.
    Your example simply makes use of the same argumentation as does Nazi propaganda: claiming to be the good guys and hence having the right to exterminate the bad guys.

You have hugely misread my post – see above (Edit). That wasn't at all what I said… I said total opposite...

Edit:

I had said that Vincent Liong's argument about exterminating the Men of the Darkness is right becouse they are not Men of the West (that is what HE said, NOT I) would be like the Allies claiming total exterminating Germans in WWII (that never happened) was right because they were evil (generalization and demonization that again mostly didn’t happen). That was just an example (how WRONG it is). You know, you had really make me nervous (I'm red in my face from shame and mild anger that you could think something like that, and I'm slow to anger- see my signature). I was never accused for Nazism before...
    Last edited by Jagmodo; May 10, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Your example simply makes use of the same argumentation as does Nazi propaganda: claiming to be the good guys and hence having the right to exterminate the bad guys.
    You're really missing his point here.

Sorry, I really don't get where all the confusion comes from.

I think I made my point pretty clear:
    If what you imply had indeed happened with this justification, the Allies had just used the same justification the Nazis used for their monstrous crimes. They would have been as nazi.

Saying "We have to exterminate the Dunlendings because they are evil!" is the same as saying "We have to annihilate the Germans, because they're all Nazis!" is the same as saying "We have to exterminate the 'Untermensch' because they're of less worth than the Aryans and our sworn enemies!"

It's orcish and thoroughly evil.

After all it just depends on the POV: The Dunlendings could as well claim "We have to exterminate all the Forgoil, because they are robbers, stole our lands and they are evil!"
    Last edited by Thangaror; May 10, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

First of all, welcome to TWC Vincent Liong and enjoy your stay!

If you download the two files attached to this post and copy the:
    • export_descr_character_traits.txt
      to your-rome-folder\bi\ci\data
    • export_VnVs.txt
      to your-rome-folder\bi\ci\data\text

you won't be bothered with the trait no more.

I've out commented the trait and it's triggers. If you ever want to have it back, just search for "comment" and erase the ";" or "¬" in the commented section - or simply make a backup of your original files

Enjoy FA:TW and enjoy TWC.
    Last edited by Aikanár; October 28, 2012 at 01:59 AM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

I think he's not interested in the morality of the thing, but rather how to get rid of the trait.

If you want to get rid of the trait, there's no need to remove all its traces from the game, just open export_descr_character_traits.txt and find the following section:
    Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger orc_like_vnv_trigger
        WhenToTest EnslavePopulation

Condition IsGeneral

Affects OrcLike  1  Chance  0 ; 16

Trigger orc_like2_vnv_trigger
        WhenToTest ExterminatePopulation

Condition IsGeneral

Affects OrcLike  1  Chance  0 ; 22

Trigger orc_like2b_vnv_trigger

Condition IsGeneral
              and not FactionType empire_east
              and not FactionType huns
              and not FactionType goths
              and not FactionType saxons
              and not FactionType sarmatians
              and CharacterIsLocal

Affects OrcLike  1  Chance  0 ; 22

Trigger orc_like3_vnv_trigger

Condition IsGeneral
              and FactionType empire_east
              and CharacterIsLocal

Affects OrcLike  1  Chance  0 ; 90

Trigger orc_like4_vnv_trigger

Condition IsGeneral
              and FactionType huns
              and CharacterIsLocal

Affects OrcLike  1  Chance  0 ; 75

Trigger orc_like5_vnv_trigger

Condition IsGeneral
              and FactionType goths
              and CharacterIsLocal

Affects OrcLike  1  Chance  0 ; 65

Trigger orc_like6_vnv_trigger
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition Trait HasPlayedAtOrcs >= 1

Affects OrcLike  1  Chance  0 ; 33

Out-comment the chance values and replace them with 0.

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

He isn't accusing you of being a Nazi... I have yet to see him do something like that on here.

That's very annoying about Tolkin , you only have WHITE-BLACK /GOOD-EVIL .

well High fantasy is communly depicted as the struggles from good vs evil. Even George RR Martin has some of that.

Stop this , it was just a misunderstanding, you're getting into a discussion about morale while the guy only wanted to know how to remove the traits.
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

In case the OP would like to avoid the Orclike trait without altering the game; i.e., playing within the original parameters; Here is my advice:

1 - The Orclike trait has a no-going-back level of 1, so you will not be able to get rid of it once you have it, however, Orclike does have anti-traits: BloodHumour, PhlegmHumour, Rational, Guardian, and Artisan. If you have one of these anti-traits beyond the no-going-back level this should protect your general from the Orclike trait.

2 - The most sure-fire and convenient way to avoid the Orclike trait is to use armies with no general to exterminate/enslave cities. In the alternative you could designate one general, preferably one with poor governing traits, to be your go-to exterminator/enslaver. This general will get very bad influence, but likely also some impressive looting bonuses.

3 - Extermination is not the only way to deal with large cities and, if you want to play a men-of-the-west faction in character, you may wish to explore some other methods:

a - Plague: You can use an extensive spy network to acquire the plague from an afflicted city and
    apply it large cities prior to acquisition. Be careful not to mix these infected spies with your own
    cities and troops, and do not capture the city until the plague has run its course.

b - Black and True Numenoreans: These generals have a -10 to squalor and may make the difference in
    being able to manage a newly acquired city. Probably a temporary solution until unrest drops since
    this governor will cause population to continue to grow.

c - Have others do the dirty work: You can manipulate your allies and your enemies into doing
    exterminations for you. The AI seems to exterminate with a great deal more prejudice than
    necessary, so if you let the AI capture a large city it will probably kill off the population for you.

d - Rioting and Sabotage: The least effective due to the relatively small size of the map on this mod.
    Only a viable option on the very periphery of empires. A combination of spy infiltration (a max of
    three spies for this effect), sabotage of happiness and health/growth buildings, and conversion of
    the population away from that of the controlling faction. Throwing in a siege should help. This
    method is impractical, even on large maps, due to the expense of units involved and the limited
    number of citizens which tend to be lost each round.

Exercising these options will slow down your empire growth considerably, but will also make the game considerably more interesting.

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

Tolkien said "in the Great War, we all became Orcs". I think that this clarifies the idea. THe trait is good as it is, definitly.

This trait annoys me to the point where I specifically remove my general from the army for a turn so that this army can exterminate the city and thus allow the general to not get this trait. I understand that exterminating settlements is indeed Orc-like, but would it be possible to not get this trait if you exterminate settlements like Dunchrioch, Dunhold, Minas Ithil, Durthang and Barad-Eden if they have Orcish buildings? Since than in essence the population is Orcish (for the most part)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast