View Poll Results: Is the Elderscrolls dead now because of an MMO version?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup it's dead, sent to the depths of Oblivion forever.

1 1.54%
  • Nope, more sequels in the future.

64 98.46%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the Elder scrolls single player dead?

Default Is the Elder scrolls single player dead?

I wanna hear the thoughts of people here. Since the announcement of The Elder Scrolls Online there's been a lot of backlash from what I've seen and this response struck me out the most and what caused me to ask this question:
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=16484
    IMO I don't like the idea of an Elder Scrolls Online, I don't like MMOs in general, but to say that the single player series is gone forever and won't be made anymore with the coming of an online version seems to be jumping the shark especially when the MMO is made by a different dev group, ZeniMax Online Studios, made by ZeniMax to specialize in MMOs, formed of people who've worked in the MMO industry. The Elderscrolls Team, Bethesda Game Studios/Softworks, won't have a hand in developing this save for maybe lore advice.

So... is the Elderscrolls series gone forever, no more sequels and such? Or will it continue regardless of an MMO version?
    Last edited by Basileus of Byzantium; May 08, 2012 at 06:18 PM.

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Is the Elder scrolls single player dead?

It's nonsense, through and through. It might take another 5 or 6 years as I suspect that Bethesda will make another Fallout game first, but there'll be another.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm pretty certain the SP's won't end. Anyway, why on earth have you hidden the results?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

The very fact that it's done by a different team all together should be evidence that obviously the SP TES games aren't done.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I'm pretty certain the SP's won't end. Anyway, why on earth have you hidden the results?
    Oh god I messed up sorry bout that . How do I go about changing that, I don't know how to edit the poll.

Yes, it died with the joke that is Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Szlachta View Post
    Yes, it died with the joke that is Skyrim.
    I think you might be the only one who despises Skyrim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetRegistered View Post
    I think you might be the only one who despises Skyrim.
    For one, I don't despise it, and no, a lot of (most) vets think its a total joke. Only a newb would think its a real ES game. Too many fundamentals of the series missing.

Why do the vets who want all the "fundamentals" hate on skyrim.
    It's an ENTERTAINING game. IMO that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Harald I Hardrade View Post
    Why do the vets who want all the "fundamentals" hate on skyrim.
    It's an ENTERTAINING game. IMO that's all that matters.
    Because we don't want less. To new players, everything is more, to us, all we did was lose things, and were given a less entertaining game. And its not 'hating', LOL at people that say 'hating', its being critical of the best (was the best) RPG series. How could someone who's played Daggerfall and Morrowind want Skyrim AKA Oblivion .5?
    Last edited by Szlachta; May 08, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

That's want I meant by "hating"
    It's my way of saying "critically commenting upon said object"
    It is the best RPG series at the moment. And what do you mean by "losing stuff" ?
    Mysticism and illusion were wastes of skills anyway, they should have been combined with alteration.

That's want I meant by "hating"
    It's my way of saying "critically commenting upon said object"
    It is the best RPG series at the moment. And what do you mean by "losing stuff" ?
    Mysticism and illusion were wastes of skills anyway, they should have been combined with alteration.
    That's not 'hating'... We get it, you don't know what was taken out in the first place. LOL, there's still Illusion, its spell effects list was just butchered (along with all of the schools spell effects list). And no, Mysticism shouldn't have been cut, but the butchering of magic lore isn't what I'm talking about anyway. Its the cut mechanics and features, a real fan knows what these are.
    Last edited by Szlachta; May 08, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Ummm... I played oblivion and Morrowind, I think I know what was taken out...
    Classes for example. Different horse speeds.silver weapons.

Ummm... I played oblivion and Morrowind, I think I know what was taken out...
    Classes for example. Different horse speeds.silver weapons.
    Guess you didn't, since silver weapons are in Skyrim, and classes/horse speeds are not what I'm talking about, although classes hints at attributes, which we did lose, and was a huge customization loss. Now all builds with relatively similar skills, all feel the exact same. And horse speed variety is another example of dumbing down, but not as big as the ones I'm about to list.

Fundamentals of the series which were cut from Skyrim:

Attributes
    Spell Creation
    Acrobatics and run speed variables
    H2H skill
    Degradation
    Totally neutered spell effects list
    Totally neutered greater and lesser powers list

Sadly, I can keep going. With these features gone, Skyrim isn't even ES V, its Redguard 2.0 with choosable races.
    Last edited by Szlachta; May 08, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Silver weapons? Never seen one. Not that I can recall anyway... I meant the ones that the guards carry and such?
    And for the record I DID play Morrowind and oblivion...

Silver weapons? Never seen one. Not that I can recall anyway... I meant the ones that the guards carry and such?
    And for the record I DID play Morrowind and oblivion...
    Silver Hands carry them.

Exactly... I meant as a weapon you can get by not following a certain questline and is actually not that hard to find
    And yes... There are less spells which I think is stupid. They were an we some part of oblivion. And Stamina comes into running and jumping

Exactly... I meant as a weapon you can get by not following a certain questline and is actually not that hard to find
    And yes... There are less spells which I think is stupid. They were an we some part of oblivion. And Stamina comes into running and jumping
    You can still get silver weapons other ways, and you don't have to start any questline to get them. Not sure what you mean about the whole stamina thing. There's no overall run, or jump variable anymore. I cant run any faster or jump any higher that you can when you start a character. That is a ing joke and a slap in the face to diversity and fundamentals of the series.

Less Armour + more stamina = faster run speed, more stamina helps run speed increase and encumberance decrease

Less Armour + more stamina = faster run speed, more stamina helps run speed increase and encumberance decrease
    No it doesn't. More stamina does not up your speed. There is no more speed variable. I cant increase my run speed. I can sprint, or not wear armor (both of which are not increasing speed), but that's it. No actual increasing speed like in every other ES game. 4 times you've posted wrong info about Skyrim. Go play it and come back to me.

They effectively put Earth (Fallout) limitations on Nirn, which is a total slap in the face to lore and playstyle choice, since superhuman movement is more than lore prevalent throughout the series.

Pathetically, Skyrim was made for the pick up and play lowest common denominator.

Even the remaining crafting systems got neutered, like enchanting and alchemy. Now shells of their former self.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Todd Howard that headed Morrowind is the same Todd that said such idiotic things as: "Spell Creation was too spreadsheety." To who, Todd? People that can't count to one hundred, or need a helmet to cross the street? That would say: "Birth-signs were ruining peoples builds." Who's builds, Todd? People that cant take the time to read a sentence description of what they are picking, the same people that probably criticized because the lack of choices? This is who you'll target the game to? The illiterate, and lazy? you Todd, you ruined the ES, by pandering to the unreceptive twitcher, the pick up and play 'next best thing-er', the neophyte nooblet, the lowest common denominator of gaming...

Skyrim is acceptable...if your into having less of everything, and having your hand held like a complete newb.
    Last edited by Szlachta; May 08, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast