Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Default My GREEK CITIES guide

MY GREEK CITIES guide :original:
    greek lambda flag, honour it
    vanilla RTW greek flag, respect it
    greek phalanx hoplites (including Spartans) - the backbone of greek army

Cheers DarthMod players! I‘ve finished my Greek campaign (on h/h) and here‘s the guide I‘ve writen for ya to share my personal experience while playing Darth Vader‘s personal favorite faction. Now that RTW Alexander is out I‘m interested in greek factions more than ever .
    Before I start here‘s a couple of useful articles/guides concerning the Greeks (I used some ideas from these sources)
    all factions mini cool guide+some tips
    RTW greek cool description
    short greek campaign guide
    great greek guide by vercingetorix
    totalwar.org greek guide section

Introduction

RTW Greek intro
    „The Greeks could rule the world. Alexander did. He took a Greek army to the far Indus. There was nothing left to conquer. The world was his. But Alexander is dead. His empire is gone. And so we live in evil days. The free men of Greece have turned on each other, instead of their proper enemies – those who envy all that Greeks have done. Alexander must weep - if the dead weep. I would weep in his place. But I would also hope. The world turns. What was may come again. The Fates still spin the web of men’s lives. So now, perhaps, the Gods wish Greeks to be great again. Perhaps a new Alexander will take up the sword. Bring order where there is chaos. Remake the world of men to a better plan. Perhaps...

The Greek Cities
    The Greeks have a right to be proud. They are the fathers of democracy and reason, bringers of civilization and culture to the lands around the Mediterranean. There are few corners of the known world that have not felt the tread of a Greek army, or been graced by the magnificence of Greek architecture. The world is only the way it is because Greeks fought off the despots of Persia (in 1 of the greatest battles in history – Marathon), and because Alexander led Greeks to the ends of the earth!
    Greece, a land dominated by sea, was made up of cities, called city states. These city states were spread out around the Mediterranean sea, the most famous of them being Athens (home of democracy, philosophy and arts) and Sparta (mighty military city, home of the toughest soldiers in the world - spartans). Greece had some of the finest poets (Homer, Pindar, etc.) and philosophers (Socrates, Plato, Aristotle etc.). They also thought that the body was a fine work of art, especially the man‘s. Their most useful and mainstay military unit is the hoplite and greeks use phalanx tactics perfected over the ages. This faction lies in present day Greece.
    Now, however, the Greeks are reduced in power, and largely confined to their original homelands. A loose confederation (The Achaen League) of city-states and petty kingdoms, held together by a need for mutual protection, is what remains. But there could still be greatness within Greece. The same blood that once defied Xerxes still runs in the veins of Athenians, Thebans, Spartans and the rest. The men of Greece still value their independence and civilization, and could still take this back to every corner of the world.
    Perhaps now is the time for the Greeks to be great again. Alexander’s heirs still fight amongst themselves for the spoils of empire. The rising power of Rome has yet to break out of the confines of Italy – they face the Carthaginians as rivals. To the north, the semi-civilized Dacians and other barbarians are surely no threat to civilized men, and Greeks have never bowed the knee to Eastern despots! So you have unified the greek city-states into one faction, can you defend the foundations of western civilization, defeat those upstarts romans and become the new Alexander again? It‘s up to you, DarthMod player, to change history! Lets get started...

CAMPAIGN – the strategic part

I. The starting campaign location and objectives

Geographical position
    As you can see from the pics The Greek Cities starting position has both it’s advantages and disadvantages.
    Advantages:
    1) your faction is located in the heart of Mediterranean which means you‘re in the center of intense/very lucrative trade and it‘s 1 of the most wealthest regions (along with middle east and carthage imo) in RTW
    2) you start with 2 world wonders: the statue of Zeus (public order bonus) and the Collossus of Rhodes (cashcow naval trade), besides there are 2 more wonders nearby in western Asia minor .
    3) the strategic position is quite defensive (in mainland Greece you can block chokepoints and islands are relatively safe for now) with exception of Syracuse and Pergamum. Your main worry should be the enemy naval invasion therefore a big and powerful navy armada is a must for a greek player.
    Disadvantages:
    1)you border many factions/have many neighbors which is not very great as they envy your achievements, wonders and huge lucrative trade and may become greedy and gang on you. You will possibly have constant wars on 4 to 6 fronts which is crazy so „A wise man in times of peace prepares for war“
    2)everyone for some reason (hardcoded?) hates your faction so diplomacy and finding allies will be tough
    All in all, I think pros are more important than cons considering greek geographical situation .

Campaign objectives. Hold 28 settlements including your own initial lands + bruttium, ionia and lycia, roughly you’ll need to control all of Greece up to Danube (great for defence), western asia minor, sicily and italy + some couple regions in order to achieve campaign victory
    Your objectives conflict with seleucids’ so war with them seems inevitable , same for brutii who will be backed by all roman factions, imo it’s impossible to reach even ceasefire not speaking about peace with these factions - constant bloody warfare awaits - that’s what RTW is all about. Other neighbors’ (Carthage, Pontus, Numidia, Macedonia) objectives (the land needed to control that Darth has modded) don’t conflict with yours as far as I know, but I’m sure you’ll have many betrayals and enemies so be ready for it. I guess The Greek Cities possibly have the most available fronts of war than any other faction. Everyone will gang up on you sooner rather than later, that’s why this defensive-dark-forced-darthish faction is so cool and interesting to play.

II. The economy „We should provide in peace what we need in war“
    In the beginning of campaign you already have quite a developed economy; your treasury balance is positive and will certainly grow in the future. It means that you shouldn’t concentrate your building projects entirely on economy like other factions must; it allows the development of an early military machine also. Still much needs to be done in economic matters, especially naval trade should be a priority as it gives the best profits .

1. Your initial Greek city-states

SYRACUSE (south eastern Sicily) – the legendary siege city , homeland of wise Archimedes, this is the settlement that you’ll have to defend well esp in the beginning. The romans – Scipii, Brutii – will relentlessly try to capture it, not to mention Carthaginians (which are your allies at the start) on western Sicily - who knows they might get greedy in ruling all of Sicily and betray you, as Greeks had conflicts with them centuries ago in dispute of controlling rich Sicily Island. Although Syracuse is in an isolated position you must hold onto this city at all costs as it’s the foothold in future possible Sicily and south Italy conquest, btw it allows you the training of Spartans – red cloaked perfect soldiers feared throughout the Mediterranean.
    Syracuse is a developed city, it has 3rd level governor palace, port and most importantly stone walls which is invaluable against roman sieges, but “Brave men are a city's strongest tower of defence“. Imo you should stress this city in military facilities and training, cuz it has huge population and growth; maybe upgrade the port in more peaceful times. Don’t build paved roads, you’ll be constantly at war with your neighbors on this island, you wont get much trade here and only help your enemies. Worship Nike, the Goddess of Victory, as her temples give public order and experience bonus, which is a nice addition to fresh trained troops. I advise you build 3rd level barracks asap to upgrade your trusty hoplites and unlock Spartans (yay), also rely heavily on mercenaries in this region esp the missile ones – merc peltasts and balearic slingers – they can save the day when defending your stronghold. Next aim for building a stable to get couple units of militia cav a very useful light cav, then build archery buildings to get some ranged support. Later you can even build academy if you like. Syracuse will be your all-around and best upgraded city in Sicily.
    „The true contempt of an invader is shown by deeds of valour in the field - Hermocrates of Syracuse“
    Now about the warfare: aim that Scipii and Carthage wear/tire/kill themselves, but mostly those upstart romans will want your city more. Let them come to you and attack you in siege (don’t sally if you don’t have to) you’ll beat them back from your high walls (this is sounding like from the movie Troy). Here’s a very great guide of defending settlements in RTW: http://forums.rometotalrealism.org/i...ic=13381&st=60
    After you’ve crushed those Scipii many times, Carthaginians will betray you, do the same in siege defenses for them too. Aim for the right moment when you have good balanced army to capture Messana and cut-off Scipii from pretensions to Sicily, then again defend defend defend (greeks are a defensive faction right?) and maybe your strategos will capture all of Sicily. Btw Syracuse will do even better if you support it from the mainland Greece: if you have any spare units, ships, bring them along. Oh and btw NAVY will play a huge part in the conquest of Sicily.

SPARTA (south Greece, Laconia) – your capital (although you may want to move it to Athens for better trade) and mighty legendary military city-state, home of the finest soldiers Spartans (“To brave men, the prizes that war offers are liberty and fame - Lycurgus of Sparta“ ). At the start build basic structures such as walls, port, then completely specialize in military matters: build Nike temples for exp, then barracks, specialize mostly in hoplites and cavalry (as here you can also recruit mounted spartans, yay they look very cool). Give attention to blacksmith buildings also. Btw there are some quite good mercs in this region namely Aetolian cav and cretan archers.

CORINTH (the Peloponnesus region) – another great city-state of yours, it will support you financially and provide foot missile troops and naval fleets. Honour Hermes, build ports and economic buildings for max profits.

ATHENS (Attica) – one of the richest, greatest and civilized cities of the ancient . („Men of Athens, there is not much time for exhortation, but to the brave a few words are as good as many – Hippocrates“) In my campaign I made Athens my capital. It will be your all around city providing both economic, naval, educational (academies) and military (hoplites) benefits. What and when to build will be up to you to decide according to circumstances, my advise would be - concentrate on economy first, don‘t forget to build academies and postion governors here to get good traits and ancilarries, before sending them out to govern another city, build Athena temples of course – she’s a patron of Athens, goddess of war and wisdom (public/law order + great retinues). If you want soldiers to upgrade exp and armour swap them between Athens and Sparta. Athens is your border with Macedonians so guard it well, cuz otherwise if Macedonians smell that you have a small garrison you can bet they will betray you. Keeping large forces near your border, I found, is a good way of preventing a war.

KYDONIA (Crete island) – a wealthy island, this is where ancient Minoan civilization once flourished. Specialize it in trade and naval support + hire the famous creeeeeshian archers (they are certainly 1 of the best mercs for me) and cilician pirates (yay!) and transport them in your cool city-state greek empire. Worship Hermes for improved trade, in the future build stone walls to feel comfortable about the defence.

RHODES – a superb trading position, this settlement should be stressed in economy even more, it is also great for naval fleet building and unit + merc recruitment. It is really hard to tell in what to specialize here, imo it should be a generic city like Athens. Just donno what temple should be dedicated here – Hermes, Nike or Athena. You can launch invasions of western Anatolia from here in order to capture those precious wonders.

PERGAMUM (western Anatolia) – a superb trading center, your foothold in Asia Minor. This settlement is in a similar isolated position like Syracuse. Pontus but mainly Seleucids are potential rivals here. I must admit I lost Pergamum in my campaign (later after many battles recaptured it - great AI) cuz I didn’t pay much attention to defend and support it from the mainland Greece. So defend it at all costs, cuz Seleucids will attack with full stacks in the beginning trust me !

2. The great importance of greek navy

“If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favourable – Seneca”
    “It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another – Lucretius”

The Greek Cities are a maritime power just like Carthage and Egypt. Greeks are proud professional seamen and have long traditions in naval warfare – battle of Salamis is one of the greatest examples.
    So Greeks must control the seas in order to:
    1)protect your vital lucrative trade and port blockades
    2)protect your lands from naval invasions
    3)destroy enemy naval power
    4)disrupt enemy trade and blockade their ports
    5)transport troops to spearhead your naval invasions
    I suggest you use couple of biremes to cover troop/agent transport in a certain region (from mainland Greece to Syracuse and Pergamum). While 1 naval fleet should consist of at least 4 stacked ships, this way you can win decisive naval battles, control the seas and effectively blockade ports. Build best available ships of course.

III. Diplomacy and expansion

„After the war is over, make alliances - Greek proverb“
    „A bad peace is even worse than war“
    „We make war that we may live in peace“
    „Let him who desires peace prepare for war“

1. Initial neighbors and strategies against them

Romans (SPQR, Scipii, Brutii, Julii) – those upstarts and new-way thinkers have insulted Greece and now you are at war with them, I think it’s time to teach them a hard conservative Hellenic lesson . The only land border is with Scipii, but soon you’ll find that brutii is invading you, Julii can pose a naval threat only I think as they are busy with gauls as usual. Mostly you’ll be on defensive in this war until you build good infrastructure and grow strong enough to invade Italy itself. Just be careful with the senate army, it can be a nasty surprise. The phalanx vs manipular formation will show who’s the master. Navy is the key in this war too. Try to ally with roman enemies, namely spain, gauls, carthage, Macedonia, if you could keep those alliances romans will have big problems. "The roman leader runs all the way away - perhaps to his pitiful catamites" I almost fell off the chair when I heard this CA has some good sense of humour lol
    Seleucid Empire – your 2nd potential enemy and biggest threat in the east to Pergamum. Phalanx vs pikemen mastery will decide the victor, navy as usual is darned important, impoverish those untrue greeks by blocking their ports. Stay on the defensive against them until they are weak enough for you to counterattack. Try to ally with Pontus and Egypt in an effort against Seleucids to get them crushed on all sides. Taking 2 wonder regions is a primary goal in this theater of war.
    Pontus – a possible enemy, they may try to attack Pergamum or Rhodes, but try to ally with them if you can against a mutual effort vs Seleucids. Pontus uses a lot of missile tactics+chariots+some pikemen so it’s wise to defend in woods against them or bring your own cretan archers. Try to avoid war with them – you already have too many enemies.
    Macedonia – your initial allies, but be suspicious about their plans. They betrayed me in my campaign, I crushed them and unified Greece up to Danube river. Imo if you keep large force in Athens (border) you may be able to keep alliance with them, but always be ready for TOTAL WAR.
    Carthage – although they are allies for now, expect a bloody betrayal. It is better avoid war with them and let them fight romans instead, but if they insult you revenge with all your might
    Numidia – they seem to attack Rhodes sometimes, better ally with them (if it wasn’t possible with Egypt) to make a good trading partner and if you’re at war with Carthage they may be useful if you fund them with cash.

2. Greek diplomats, spies and assassins

Diplomats – you need at least 1 in Sicily, 1 in mainland Greece, 1 in Anatolia region and 1 roaming diplomat in ship in the beginning to acquire as many trade rights as you can, sell/buy maps make wise diplomatic agreements (alliances, ceasefire, etc.) and in this way boost your treasury esp in the beginning of campaign they are very useful indeed.
    Spies – I use them for a couple of reasons: 1) scouting ahead of my army in order to find the composition of enemy armies 2) infiltrating rival settlements/causing unrest and maybe even rebellion  3) counterspying in your own territory, keeping rival spies out of your major settlements. I suggest having as many spies as your treasury can afford, information is never a bad thing.
    Assassins – those guys rock! Their unkeep is high though so only use them to cover a specific region, e.g. place 1 in north Greece, 1 in Sicily, 1 in Anatolia etc.
    When these 3 agents are close by they can cooperate this way: send a spy to find out information, then send assassin to kill the most important target and at last send diplomat to bribe.

3. Diplomacy strategies

I used some diplo strategies in my campaign from diplomacy guide that most of you probably know: diplo guide
    My favourites are: the Caesar maneuver, Cleopatra strat and Robin Hood maneuver :wink: . Although sometimes these diplo strategies just seem not to work well for me, best kill all of your enemies haha .

BATTLEFIELD – the tactical part

Greek troop lineup: many phalanxes (including Spartans)+good missile support+superb mercenaries but minimal cavalry.
    „Today, we look for a victory worthy of Hercules himself! This is a mighty task, but we are men enough to do it!“
    „Now trouble begins. We did not seek war ( ), but now we are facing battle, and we will not stop until our dead foes fill the field!“

HOPLITE PHALANXES – the backbone/mainstay of your greek army (10+ more units in 20 stack)

Militia hoplites – the lowest of hoplites, but great for garisson duty
    Hoplites – your bread and butter in early campaign, also good as garisson too (reasonable unkeep), cool looking top of the helmet (donno the right word) btw like Mirmidons‘ unit :wink: in Troy movie. At least include 10 units of hoplites in your early armies
    Traditional hoplites – a classical hoplite with a shorter spear, I find them extremely good at flanking (phalanx off, guard off), they play a hypaspist unit role for me. 2-4 units
    Armoured hoplites – an improvement over hoplites, the backbone of your late greek armies, their helmet alone should instill fear to the enemies ha! Nothing (excluding pikes) can touch these guys from the front, they are esp great in tight/shield formalion. 10 + more units
    Armoured heavy hoplites – a better substitute for traditional ones, they fulfill the same role. 2-4 units
    Goldshielded guards – these hoplites come from the parthenon of Nike, they are extremely gold looking and I LOOOOVE GOLD! You may have a chance to use them late in the campaign but they are rare.
    Spartan hoplites – „The Spartans do not ask how many but where they are – Leonidas“ that‘s right even the thought of 300 should scare the enemy , not to mention the intimidating red tunics of spartans. Spartans are simply perfect soldiers, men dedicated all their life as warriors from the childhood. Spartans are semi-gods to be exact, they are given the honour of carrying greek lambda banner on their shield, this is truly an awesome and inspirational unit . They take 2 turns to train so you‘ll mostly have max 4 units in your armies, buto n the field they pwn/own just about anything lol. Btw they can be trained only in Sparta (guess why) and Syracuse. „Come home with this shield or upon it“

MERC INFANTRY – flanking support for your hoppies (a substitute for your short speared hops)

Barbarian Infantry -- your very own rental warband! Not really a good fit with the Greeks, but you can pick them up to do the nasty parts of your siege assaults if you want. Available near Ankara only.

Thracians - a breaknecking light barbarian infantry. Reasonably hard hitting, but likely to take losses pretty quickly too from archers and cavalry. Available all over Greece, Thracia, Macedonia, the islands, Asia, Illyria, and Dacia.

Bastarnae -- same as the Thracians BUT they have 2HP and better morale, so the survivability is much better. Available in Macedonia, Thrace, Dacia, and occasionally Asia.

MISSILE INFANTRY – the supporting/screening troops for your hoplites (should consist ¼ of an army imo)

Peltasts – fast and accurate at harrassing slower moving heavy inf, good in defence behind the main line, vulnerable to missiles and cavalry also don‘t expect them to be in melee. Screening/ambushing and pursuing fleeing enemy is their main purpose. (2-4 units of 20 balanced unit stack)
    Heavy peltasts – a huge improvement over peltasts – larger shield better armour and stats, but you wont have many of them as they are available only in 3rd tier archery (should be in 2nd Darth correct this plz), also merc peltasts and illyrian merc are plenty to hire so heavy peltasts are kinda useless when they become available. (2-4 units)
    Archers – plain greek archers, „bows of Artemis“ are good to have as garisson - cheap unkeep and great at defending cities. You can include some of them in your operating field armies, but they are no match for cretans. (2-4)

RANGED MERCENARIES – a great addition to greek missile regiments

Merc Peltasts/Illyrian mercs – superb mercanaries filling the much needed peltast supporting role in greek army, they screen and guard the flanks of your heavy hoplites and are good flankers too, although expect many casualties against cav. (2-4 units)
    Cilician Pirates – a very cool-funny unit :wink: . Acts as skirmishers and light infantry, peasant formation, but their javelins are armor piercing and they have a high attack value and morale. They'll take losses, but they're fun to use. Surprisngly good wall assault troops. Definitely fun at parties. Available around Tarsus and on Cyprus.
    Rhodian/Balearic slingers – great long range missiles, certainly better than your plain greek archers. Cool-looking btw. Enemy cavalry LOVES to hunt them to extinction (2-4)
    Creeeeeeeeshian (ehemmm Cretan ) archers – now we‘re talking about one of the best archers in RTW (among forester archers, archer aux, chosen archers, syrian archers) and superb mercenary unit. These guys are very useful to your early, bow-starved armies. Cretans have extra range, they‘re sharp and accurate, can decimute light unit within seconds plus they can act as light flanking troops, just get them away from cavalry. (2 to 4 units)

CAVALRY – minimal role in greek army (max 4 units including general)

Militia Cavalry – your own Numidian cavalry! A very unique abilities both as ranged and light cav, I wonder why greek cav is available in 2nd stables. It should be contrawise. Functions – harrassment, intercepting other light cav, chasing light troops and fleeing enemies.
    Greek cavalry – good charge, good light anti-cav and anti HA unit too. Just dont stop movint with them, otherwise they‘ll be cut to pieces.
    Aetolian merc cav – better than greek cav imo it‘s kinda medium cavalry, very useful indeed.
    Greek Noble cav – late campaign greek heavy cav unit, perfect for charging and breaking formations, good in melee too as any heavy cav, bad vs spearmen.
    Spartan Hippeis – how cool is that a mounted spartan, the skins are fabulous, they‘ll be like your second general unit. 2 HP!

BALANCED ARMIES (imo)

Early Greek balanced army
    1 best available general
    1 ballistas (if needed)
    10 hoplites
    2 traditional hoppies/thracians/bastarnae/spartans (use best available)
    2 peltasts/merc peltasts/illyrian merc
    2-4 cretan archers
    2 Militia cav/Aetolian cav/Greek cav

Late-uber greek army
    1 best available general
    1 onager/heavy onager (if needed)
    8 armoured hoppies
    2 bastarnae/armoured heavy hops
    2 spartans
    2 merc peltasts/illyrian merc/heavy peltasts
    2-4 cretan archers
    2 Militia cav/Greek noble cav/Spartan Hippeis (use according to your taste)

Greek Battle Tactics
    Maybe someone could add, I‘m rather lazy .
    In short on attack I use Greek-theban formation where skirmishers and archers are deployed on the left flank with light cav and general just behind them to watch over. Center is made of massed hoplites with some flanking forces the left flank being stronger than right
    In defence I use schiltrom phalanx formations, where all hoplites make one or two big circles and in the center is my general and missiles, if you‘re heavily outnumbered and lack missiles, try deploying in the woods.
    Here‘s 1 tactics guide that you may find useful: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46099

Extras
    Movies about ancient Greece that I know
    Troy (2004), Alexander (2005), Hellen of Troy, The Argonauts, The Odysey, the 300 spartans (1962) donno more plz write me if you know

DM 7.5 my customized greek music for max epic experience
    1)the great CC light music mod (“Hellenic: A proud independant people who forged a massive ring of cultural control over a large span of the earth, we felt a heroic style blend of music with a seemingly balkan touch and a pinch of eastern was called for.”)
    2)RTR 6.3 greek music – great campaign track by V. Kuryluk, couple of other beautiful soundtracks for tension and mobilization in battle.
    3)The soundtrack from the movie “Alexander” – awesome soundtrack and so fitting for Hellenic culture in RTW that really adds smth unique to the atmosphere.
    4)Rise and Fall: Civs at War demo game soundtrack – couple of very cool soundtracks for battles.
    5)Vanilla RTW music – there are some quite nice tracks also.

„And remember this above all: the Gods are watching from Olympus! Make sure they are not ashamed!“

P.S. Cheers I hope you've found this guide useful, any feedback is welcome and good luck playing DarthMod!
    P.S.S. Sorry for my english mistakes, it's not my first language you know :wink:
    Last edited by Grand Duke Vytautas; June 20, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus

Default Re: My GREEK CITIES guide

Brilliant Grand Duke...added to guides. You have evolved your guides to an excellency. I am eager to listen to your DarthMod faction reports even more!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER
    Brilliant Grand Duke...added to guides. You have evolved your guides to an excellency. I am eager to listen to your DarthMod faction reports even more!
    Thanks Dark Lord Darth Your mod is my favourite cuz it gives best gameplay experience. Your dark force encouragements really inspire me for great deeds!
    Next I'm playing Parthia in DM 7.5, can't wait to own the east with this exotic faction (their banner is one of the coolest looking). There's already a good guide by Narakir about parthians so maybe I'll take a break this time
    But you can bet that after I've finished with Parthia, I'll write extensive Byzantine (ERE in BI) guide. Good luck
    P.S. plz tell me what could I improve, give feedback thxs

Narakir's Avatar Decanus

Very cool guide... but I've writen a guide about Armenia not Parthia, I gave up parthia mostly beacause of the absence of peltast to deal with the ennemy elephants (yes I'll harash about this ). Seems like I'll give a try to the seleucids soon...

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Narakir
    Very cool guide... but I've writen a guide about Armenia not Parthia, I gave up parthia mostly beacause of the absence of peltast to deal with the ennemy elephants (yes I'll harash about this ). Seems like I'll give a try to the seleucids soon...
    Oooops sorry m8, my mistake yeah the Parthian guide was written by Byzantium That was your interesting armenian guide that inspired me to write about huns Cheers

Average British Student

Amazing work again Duke

It is definitely good fun to read your guide. Especially the passage:

RTW Greek intro
    „The Greeks could rule the world. Alexander did. He took a Greek army to the far Indus. There was nothing left to conquer. The world was his. But Alexander is dead. His empire is gone. And so we live in evil days. The free men of Greece have turned on each other, instead of their proper enemies – those who envy all that Greeks have done. Alexander must weep - if the dead weep. I would weep in his place. But I would also hope. The world turns. What was may come again. The Fates still spin the web of men’s lives. So now, perhaps, the Gods wish Greeks to be great again. Perhaps a new Alexander will take up the sword. Bring order where there is chaos. Remake the world of men to a better plan. Perhaps...
    --------------------------

did you take that from the game, or did you make it up yourself?

then this:

The Greek Cities
    The Greeks have a right to be proud. They are the fathers of democracy and reason, bringers of civilization and culture to the lands around the Mediterranean. There are few corners of the known world that have not felt the tread of a Greek army, or been graced by the magnificence of Greek architecture. The world is only the way it is because Greeks fought off the despots of Persia (in 1 of the greatest battles in history – Marathon), and because Alexander led Greeks to the ends of the earth!
    Greece, a land dominated by sea, was made up of cities, called city states. These city states were spread out around the Mediterranean sea, the most famous of them being Athens (home of democracy, philosophy and arts) and Sparta (mighty military city, home of the toughest soldiers in the world - spartans). Greece had some of the finest poets (Homer, Pindar, etc.) and philosophers (Socrates, Plato, Aristotle etc.). They also thought that the body was a fine work of art, especially the man‘s. Their most useful and mainstay military unit is the hoplite and greeks use phalanx tactics perfected over the ages. This faction lies in present day Greece.
    Now, however, the Greeks are reduced in power, and largely confined to their original homelands. A loose confederation (The Achaen League) of city-states and petty kingdoms, held together by a need for mutual protection, is what remains. But there could still be greatness within Greece. The same blood that once defied Xerxes still runs in the veins of Athenians, Thebans, Spartans and the rest. The men of Greece still value their independence and civilization, and could still take this back to every corner of the world.
    Perhaps now is the time for the Greeks to be great again. Alexander’s heirs still fight amongst themselves for the spoils of empire. The rising power of Rome has yet to break out of the confines of Italy – they face the Carthaginians as rivals. To the north, the semi-civilized Dacians and other barbarians are surely no threat to civilized men, and Greeks have never bowed the knee to Eastern despots! So you have unified the greek city-states into one faction, can you defend the foundations of western civilization, defeat those upstarts romans and become the new Alexander again? It‘s up to you, DarthMod player, to change history! Lets get started...
    ----------------------------

It seriously sent a chill down my spine. but could you tell me, what exactly is the meaning of:
    "The roman leader runs all the way away - perhaps to his pitiful catamites"
    ??
    I want to get the joke in that

Citizen

Yes, I took that RTW intro from the game (found somewhere a subtitle file and copied), you know Greek intro movie? I liked that intro speech kinda sets you into hellenic mood The faction description I composed of greek cities faction describtion from RTW+my own thoughts
    And yes what is catamite you ask? I didn't know it myself untill I found this thread link
    Basically all cultures have very funny speeches when enemy faction leader runs away or dies. CA has really included some humourous battle endings
    Last edited by Grand Duke Vytautas; June 20, 2006 at 08:01 PM.

Narakir's Avatar Decanus

I "hate" you Vytautas as I finished reading your guide I finaly started that Seleucid camp and began to write a guide, actualy there's isn't much things too say beaucause it's not the greatest challenge, but it's more difficult than I expected .