Thread: Possible issue with my modem

Saint Nicholas's Avatar No Avatar Specified

Default Possible issue with my modem

Please help.

I'm using the Netgear N300 or DG2200 modem for home internet. For some time now, I've definitely noticed a high pitched constant whining sound coming from the powerpoint where the modem is plugged in.

I've tried plugging the cord into different power points, but it doesn't stop that sound. I've read a couple of other forums and done a google search on the issue, didn't come up with much at all.

Only managed to find one or two helpful posts around, but they think it might be a problem with the modem's power or the modem itself, not the actual powerpoint or anything at all to do with my house.

Should probably mention the modem is less than a year old so should still be under warranty.

Any ideas or suggestions on what might be causing this annoying sound and if there is a possible fix?
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

Default Re: Possible issue with my modem

How close is the power adapter to the powerpoint? Are you sure the sound isn't coming from it instead? It would explain why no matter where you plug in you get that sound....

BTW - if it is the transformer then you'll need a new one sooner or later.
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

What do you mean by the power adapter, you mean the transformer? It's definitely the modem power adapter/transformer. All other appliances plugged into that power board don't make a sound.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    What do you mean by the power adapter, you mean the transformer? It's definitely the modem power adapter/transformer. All other appliances plugged into that power board don't make a sound.
    Ah, the wonders of the divergence of language even among native speakers.

Yes - your transformer is crapping out on you. The modem itself is probably fine but may not be if the transformer blows when in use. See if you can order a new one through Netgear. As you say the modem is still under warranty then you may not even have to pay anything other than shipping. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

If it's under warranty, send it back. If it's not, it's probably fine. Listen closely, lots of lightbulbs and TV's make similar sounds.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

I'll take it back into the store tomorrow probably, hopefully they can supply me with a new transformer. Thanks for your help fellas.