Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: International Trade Agreement?

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default International Trade Agreement?

I would first like to declare that I write this not as a representative of the Dwarven Empire (Austin has that role) but instead as someone with private economical interests in seeing the following happening.

Currently, all factions appear to be very careful when it comes to using public portals. If ever used, the one visiting will always be under strict surveillance and the faction guarding the player will be entirely occupied doing so. Because of the resulting low visitor pressure, public portal areas are underdeveloped and serve little economical purpose.

What I propose is a trade agreement between as many factions as possible. This agreement would require signatory factions to always leave their public portals open (unless at war with either a non-signatory or signatory faction), but also ban the use of public portals as a means of transportation for an aggressor, signatory, faction. The treaty would be of entirely civilian purposes, and as such, breaking the treaty by either closing a public portal while not at war or using one in an attack on a host, signatory, faction will not result in automatic consequences. Host factions would take responsibility for the security, land and shop access of visiting players, and as such would not be allowed to kill visitors unless these clearly were to move outside the area designated by the host faction.

I do realize there are inherent problems with this proposed agreement, but I am merely putting it here partly because I believe there would be substantial profit to be made by everyone (trade, tourism) and because I belive there is some interest in seeing something like this being negotiated (I heard from Greens that he was setting up a public area in Northern lands and our faction has one as well, albeit unused at the moment).

Suggestions or comments are welcome. Please note that this is entirely unrelated to moderation/server rules as it would be an in-game agreement relying on good will rather than enforcement (in short: not for the discussion of portal rule changes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Persecution of minorities is just what happens to minorities. That's just how human society works.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Archduke Greens's Avatar Equites

Default Re: International Trade Agreement?

Agreed. Our portal always stays open in peacetime anyway.

ForteS's Avatar Need Hugz?

Quote Originally Posted by 10greenbottles View Post
    Agreed. Our portal always stays open in peacetime anyway.
    Yeah... What happens is that when people use your OPEN PUBLIC PORTAL you attack them immediately and without warn. If you don't want people to use it just close it...

Anyway, good idea Aanker.
    Last edited by ForteS; May 06, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

I am quite certain though that were the Northmen to attack people coming through, and if they had signed this, it wouldn't be viewed very positively by the factions of the players killed. Likewise, if a signatory faction were to do the reverse thing and use their public portal to attack, they would not only be attacking another faction (which in itself always creates some form of negative impression of a faction somewhere) but also break a treaty. It's not 100% watertight but we have yet to see a major faction operating under normal circumstances make a 180-degree turn towards an ally (so far alliance breakups have been progressive). Bad reputation is a dangerous thing.
    Persecution of minorities is just what happens to minorities. That's just how human society works.

According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Aye, if we joined this trade agreement then the laws would be changed and instead we would put up a list of banned members, rather than outright banning everyone without permission.

King Sama's Avatar NOT Illuminati

Agreed.

Can working shops be set up outside of the Safezone? I had heard from someone that they could not.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

I thought someone said they could?

They can.

Poach's Avatar Gaming Staff Admin
    Civitate Gaming Staff

They can indeed.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Sagittarius

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Before writing "agreed" though, notice that this is the "idea" thread, not the actual agreement. Such an agreement would have to be ironed out by the relevant diplomatic channels but I suppose this could be a good place to show interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    They can indeed.
    They can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    I thought someone said they could?
    Well in that case, I support such a treaty even more
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

How will trade be protected though? We intend to put some relatively high value goods on display.

We should first of all limit trade to distinct areas. These should prefertably be walled off and entirely claimed by the host faction to ensure that rouge factions cannot mine their way through without actual war declarations.

To ensure factions have a common interest in protecting the trade, we could allow international shops as well (if possible). Imagine a few cross-faction corporations forming that draw strength from the different playstyles employed by players from various factions.

With regards to trade and Greens' comment, I do think that "automatic consequences" should be put into place. An declaration of war would have to be made some time in advance (like previously), or the entire public area/portal would have to be left alone until the defending nation has the opportunity to move the items, in the absence of any enemies. Any breach needs to result in automatic war declarations and following military action by all participants in the treaty. And, this would have to extend to all nations, regardless of whether they signed the treaty.

The best thing about it is that we can finally take advantage of scale. I don't suppose its possible to set up automatic entrance fees like with the public portals... and passwords could easily be shared. Perhaps this treaty could develop more into a more comprehensive Trade Organization, that essentially manages the economic aspects of the server. All participants could pay one to maintain a farm or similar in their public area, and only smaller emergency farms/stores would be needed for individual factions. Here, a password might work as nation's have an incentive to keep it away from outsiders, or if large enough, a few freeloaders wouldn't even affect anything.

Furthermore, a Trade Organization could, well, organize these international corporations (an interesting idea imo). It could recommend pricing for various goods. It could grant loans, something which would be much more feasible if there was international pressure to pay. For once, it could actually store items - we could even get bandit factions to emerge again. It could handle the more difficult aspects of joint-stock ventures, if they ever came about. It could raise an army, crush any hints of communist uprising, encroach upon governments and take power for itself, until a brave band of Dwarves and Humans in harmony take it upon themselves to rid the world of the horrid tyranny that they themselves unleashed.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Sagittarius

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    Before writing "agreed" though, notice that this is the "idea" thread, not the actual agreement. Such an agreement would have to be ironed out by the relevant diplomatic channels but I suppose this could be a good place to show interest.
    Agreed ()
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Hmmm yeah, that'd be cool. How will services be dealt with though? For example, a faction could supply the North with materials and pay us say, 10k, in order for us to build them a small fort. The only way I can think of is for us to put up a noticeboard detailing the services available and getting customers to PM the faction or leave a sign detailing what they want.

By the way I like the idea of crushing communists
    Last edited by Archduke Greens; May 06, 2012 at 07:08 PM.

Hmmm yeah, that'd be cool. How will services be dealt with though? For example, a faction could supply the North with materials and pay us say, 10k, in order for us to build them a small fort. The only way I can think of is for us to put up a noticeboard detailing the services available and getting customers to PM the faction or leave a sign detailing what they want.
    That fort idea is quite good - and I have to admit, yours was very effective today. Could be applied to redstone constructions as well, or even just nice-looking buildings. Services as you say.

Honestly, the current shops sub-forum would be best for that, but we can maintain a central directory of major goods/services offered in a single thread. And WTO (world trade organisation, as I'll call it for now) could enforce the payment/execution of these services. Or goods. Like with Selukon.

By the way I like the idea of crushing communists

I do wonder... anyone interested forming a communist utopia? This server and TWC have always been remarkable social experiments

The problem with extending it to a real military agreement is that it really would be a defensive pact between all the major powers in regards to portals. Small factions not joining would virtually be chanceless (though lobbying from the interfaction corporations to open markets could very well prove enough in that regard ).

djehoety's Avatar Equites Cohortales
    The distend ruins of the once glorious Dutch Republic.

why would you trade? Mine it yourself. Lazy Dwarves
    19-year old. Student journalism. Focus on world-politics, Syria and the Arab world (العالم العربي). Learning العربية. Located in the once mighty Dutch Republic Read my blog Follow me on Twitter Play Minecraft? join the TWCenter Kingdom servers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information