Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: [Version 3] Installation & Launcher

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [Version 3] Installation & Launcher

Last edited by Halvar von Flake; June 05, 2012 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bar07 View Post
    I report a broken link on Part 2 (main 2/2).
    Thanks but 3.3 is not that far. So iŽll let it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by shokh View Post
    Thanks but 3.3 is not that far. So iŽll let it for now.
    3.3 not that far... ...I should wait for my new campaign...! Steam will take me days anyway to download Empire...

Okay, first off, no one ever answered my first complaint. Second of all, when I uninstalled ACW 3.0 just now, following the instructions you provided, it succssesfully uninstalled ACW, but it also took out Empire. As in, every single Empire file is just gone. The folder itself is still there, but it's now an empty folder. I understand the effort that y'all have put in to this, and I had been extremely excited about this mod, but between many aspects of the game itself, the technical problems that plague the game, no one answering my posts, and now this, it really has made this all an unpleasant experience.

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Infantry Commander View Post
    Okay, first off, no one ever answered my first complaint. Second of all, when I uninstalled ACW 3.0 just now, following the instructions you provided, it succssesfully uninstalled ACW, but it also took out Empire. As in, every single Empire file is just gone. The folder itself is still there, but it's now an empty folder. I understand the effort that y'all have put in to this, and I had been extremely excited about this mod, but between many aspects of the game itself, the technical problems that plague the game, no one answering my posts, and now this, it really has made this all an unpleasant experience.
    It seems, you havent installed the mod in the correct folder.
    The launcher it self can't delete any empire file, this is absurd. When you have just the empire folder left, without any files, you installed the mod into a complete wrong place!
    It seems, thats the vanilla empire files were never in that folder, so the mod cant work. You should check your steam folder before and have a look, were all your vanilla empire files are located, before you start the installation.
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    3.3 not that far... ...I should wait for my new campaign...! Steam will take me days anyway to download Empire...
    This would be the best solution. Today and yesterday we have done alot of stuff and i guess we starting tommorow into intern testing phase. After that it should be ready to delivered.

To second Hinkel's saying, every installer keeps a list with the files that installs and uninstalls only those files. It will never delete any other file or folder. Also it will leave behind any file that was copied by the user in installation folders and do not belong in the initial installed files (has a different name).

Quote Originally Posted by shokh View Post
    This would be the best solution. Today and yesterday we have done alot of stuff and i guess we starting tommorow into intern testing phase. After that it should be ready to delivered.
    Yeah! Looking forward to 3.3 release! You might explain me again how to reinstall fortresses for cities...on occasion...

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    It seems, you havent installed the mod in the correct folder.
    The launcher it self can't delete any empire file, this is absurd. When you have just the empire folder left, without any files, you installed the mod into a complete wrong place!
    It seems, thats the vanilla empire files were never in that folder, so the mod cant work. You should check your steam folder before and have a look, were all your vanilla empire files are located, before you start the installation.
    I understand how this might happen, and when I originally installed the program, I actually did install it in the wrong folder . However, I removed those files, and re-downloaded it, this time into the correct folder. When I first attempted to uninstall the mod this morning, I did it incorrectly, because I didn't read the bright red "WARNING" at the bottom of the installation page . However, I fixed that problem, and before attempting to uninstall the mod again, I not only read the instructions again, but checked all the files, just to make sure I hadn't seriously messed anything. All the files were in their right and proper place. However, after I correctly uninstalled ACW, I tried to launch Empire, and an error came up saying that the game could not be played currently, as the necessary data was missing. I went to the folder to check and sure enough, it was completely empty. Gone. Every single file had been deleted. This was in the same file that I had checked literally five minutes before and everything had been perfectly fine. I realize that it sounds absurd, but it is what happened, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how it happened.

Also, I forgot to mention this, but when I put the Empire disk in to see if maybe I had messed up and looked in the wrong folder somehow, the launcher only had a re-install option on it, so somehow it was truly uninstalled when I uninstalled ACW

When I first attempted to uninstall the mod this morning, I did it incorrectly, because I didn't read the bright red "WARNING" at the bottom of the installation page .

(...)

However, after I correctly uninstalled ACW, I tried to launch Empire, and an error came up saying that the game could not be played currently, as the necessary data was missing.
    I do not follow you. What is this Warning message? Actually how do you uninstall ACW? ACW uninstaller has no warnings and such. It is like installer:

Sorry if I made that a bit unclear. The warning message that I received came after I uninstalled ACW, and it came from Steam itself after I had tried to start vanilla through Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post

Warning: Before uninstall use launcher to restore to Vanilla Ready so all files return in mod folders for complete uninstallation.

Sorry again, I didn't know which warning you were referring to. This is the warning I was talking about that I didn't follow, the one at the end of the first post in this thread, after all of the installation instructions. Once again, sorry for being unclear.

The only problem you may have for not following the that warning is that probably there are ACW files remained in game's data folder which you have to remove manually. So go there check for packs that start with bg_ and if any delete them.

Laetus

My game crahses if i try to start a battle or campiagn and it says i have non ACW and non vanilla files but i cant figure out which ones are not

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    The only problem you may have for not following the that warning is that probably there are ACW files remained in game's data folder which you have to remove manually. So go there check for packs that start with bg_ and if any delete them.
    The problem is I didn't know that, so I re-installed ACW, thinking that if I uninstalled it correctly the second time, it'd remove the files the first un-installation left behind. It worked; unfortunately, it took all of the Empire files with it

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Blake View Post
    My game crahses if i try to start a battle or campiagn and it says i have non ACW and non vanilla files but i cant figure out which ones are not
    Please read instructions here or in menu Help. Use the Check Files utility to see which files are those.

The problem is I didn't know that, so I re-installed ACW, thinking that if I uninstalled it correctly the second time, it'd remove the files the first un-installation left behind. It worked; unfortunately, it took all of the Empire files with it
    I have already explained you that uninstalling ACW cannot cause Empire uninstallation in any case!

husserlTW, look, I know that it should be impossible, and I have no idea how it happened. But the fact is that when I uninstalled ACW, it wiped all Empire files from my computer. I thought so, Steam said so, and when I put the Empire disk in, it said so. There were simply no Empire files left, although I have no idea in hell how that is even possible. But apparently, I am the one exception to the rule.

husserlTW, look, I know that it should be impossible, and I have no idea how it happened. But the fact is that when I uninstalled ACW, it wiped all Empire files from my computer. I thought so, Steam said so, and when I put the Empire disk in, it said so. There were simply no Empire files left, although I have no idea in hell how that is even possible. But apparently, I am the one exception to the rule.
    The reason I insist is not that I want to protect my reputation or anything of the like. I want just to redirect you in thinking what possibly you did -perhaps accidentally-, so it won't happened again in the future. I know very well what it is to reinstall Empire...

Haven't been here in a while and I have version 2.6. Do I need to uninstall? Or can I just delete the ACW folder in the data folder?

Also, the music file downloaded as a .zip file and extracted the ACWmusic_setup.exe normally, however the other two files (part 1 and 2) downloaded as a .001 and .002 file (actual file names are ACW3_2.zip.001 and ACW3_2.zip.002). I tried renaming the file extensions to .zip, but they just read as corrupted and wouldn't extract. Is there another setup .exe that I need to download somewhere? I'm guessing I am doing it wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    -Synjin